Lowther Or Fostex?

rastaman

AV gurus,

I'm on the lookout for full range speakers for audio only preferably without the usage of subwoofers. I listen to a lot of trance and rave music so need the bass quotient to be high too.

I've auditioned quite a few speakers but nothing seems to meet my expectations in the sense either the bass is missing or the highs are too forward and shrill or sometimes even the midrange is muddy and lacking clarity and depth.

I would appreciate some help in checking out some speakers that will play the entire spectrum of music and play it very well.

Price is no bar up to around Rs. 4-5 lacs and this would include the amplifier and cables too. I already have a source. I would prefer a 2.0 speaker system or else a 2.1 unit that comes well integrated with a subwoofer for the thump in the music too, but with a fast responding/musical sub since some of the music I play is foot tapping.

If this is what you are seeking, take a look at the Emerald Physics CS2.3 - you can audition them at ARN, Bangalore or in Mumbai. No one in Hyd has these speakers as yet.

Please spend some time to read this link

CS2.3

If you like open, live sound with the complete spectrum of dynamics, I do not know of any other speaker anywhere in this price range that comes close to it.
You do not need very expensive electronics and I dont think you will need a sub either, you may even have a hard time finding a fast enough sub that can keep up with the EPs.

You can write to me for more details

cheers
[email protected]

I'm subscribing too. Like Cranky even I have no contribution to make. I have to admit too that I've not come across any speaker that is perfect for all kinds of music.

@ cranky,
you jumped the gun; i was about to say" this is going to get interesting"!:)

anyways,

this is right up your street,

CS2.3

except- 'Eliminates deep bass limits Flat response to 20Hz with 2.75 inch thick baffle' - perhaps true, but ..........

Last edited:
AV gurus,

I'm on the lookout for full range speakers for audio only preferably without the usage of subwoofers. I listen to a lot of trance and rave music so need the bass quotient to be high too.

I've auditioned quite a few speakers but nothing seems to meet my expectations in the sense either the bass is missing or the highs are too forward and shrill or sometimes even the midrange is muddy and lacking clarity and depth.

I would appreciate some help in checking out some speakers that will play the entire spectrum of music and play it very well.

Price is no bar up to around Rs. 4-5 lacs and this would include the amplifier and cables too. I already have a source. I would prefer a 2.0 speaker system or else a 2.1 unit that comes well integrated with a subwoofer for the thump in the music too, but with a fast responding/musical sub since some of the music I play is foot tapping.

the best for rave and trance?-

Dynaudio BM15A Left Retour Speaker - Compare prices and buy Dynaudio Home Audio Speakers and Subwoofers online at Shopping.com UK

Hi Suri and thanks for the link.

I just wanted to make something clear. I don't listen to only trance and rave. I listen to a wide range of genres from the 1960s to the present day. Mostly rock, soft rock, R&B, Rock-N-Roll, popular music, soul, rap, hip-hop, and even some instrumental music like Kenny G and also love ballads like Nothing's Gonna Change My Love for You. Most is of course in the rock, soft rock and pop music genres.

The reason I put the emphasis on trance and rave was because in most of the speakers I've heard the bass and thump has been missing. It's either not present or is inaccurate and boomy/loopy.

I listen to most of everything that is mainstream and would like speakers that will deliver in the areas of vocals, guitars, drums and also the thump for the weekend party where people will get up and shake a leg. Oh yes the speakers need to be loud too, but this is only for the odd weekend party. Otherwise it will be mainly solo listening by me.

I hope I'm not being too demanding but I would like an all in one solution or at least the nearest one there is, but of the best in terms of quality without any compromises in terms of sound quality, sound signature, etc.

If this is what you are seeking, take a look at the Emerald Physics CS2.3 - you can audition them at ARN, Bangalore or in Mumbai. No one in Hyd has these speakers as yet.

Please spend some time to read this link

CS2.3

If you like open, live sound with the complete spectrum of dynamics, I do not know of any other speaker anywhere in this price range that comes close to it.
You do not need very expensive electronics and I dont think you will need a sub either, you may even have a hard time finding a fast enough sub that can keep up with the EPs.

You can write to me for more details

cheers
[email protected]

Thanks and this is the first time I have heard of Emerald Physics. Will definitely listen to them and consider them. Can you please let me know what's the price range they are in?

not that i know much about this stuff, but any reason you want a full-range speaker for this purpose? Would not a high-end multi-way floorstander be right up your alley? Can you also tell us which speakers you listened to that you were unhappy with? Were these single-drivers?

Hi Suri and thanks for the link.

I just wanted to make something clear. I don't listen to only trance and rave. I listen to a wide range of genres from the 1960s to the present day. Mostly rock, soft rock, R&B, Rock-N-Roll, popular music, soul, rap, hip-hop, and even some instrumental music like Kenny G and also love ballads like Nothing's Gonna Change My Love for You. Most is of course in the rock, soft rock and pop music genres.

The reason I put the emphasis on trance and rave was because in most of the speakers I've heard the bass and thump has been missing. It's either not present or is inaccurate and boomy/loopy.

I listen to most of everything that is mainstream and would like speakers that will deliver in the areas of vocals, guitars, drums and also the thump for the weekend party where people will get up and shake a leg. Oh yes the speakers need to be loud too, but this is only for the odd weekend party. Otherwise it will be mainly solo listening by me.

I hope I'm not being too demanding but I would like an all in one solution or at least the nearest one there is, but of the best in terms of quality without any compromises in terms of sound quality, sound signature, etc.

not that i know much about this stuff, but any reason you want a full-range speaker for this purpose? Would not a high-end multi-way floorstander be right up your alley? Can you also tell us which speakers you listened to that you were unhappy with? Were these single-drivers?

Hi,

I'm open to 2/3/4/multi-way speakers too if I find what I'm looking for, but from all the reviews I've read on the internet I've got the impression that single full range speakers are the way to go. It's not that I'm an audiophile but that's the impression I've got from reading up on the internet and it does seem that audiophiles do really know what they are talking about.

Coming to what I have heard, they are JBL, KEF, Usher, and Mission till now. I'm looking to suggestions from everyone here as to what I should listen so that I can find what I'm exactly looking for, in other words speakers that will sound great with every kind of music thrown at them.

once again i am not anywhere close to an expert but from what i understand the primary advantage with a full range speaker is the lack of a crossover and the resultant coherence in the midrange and high frequencies, leading a lot of people to describe their sound as more 'emotional' and 'involving'. They are typically not reputed to be adept at low frequency or high frequency extension. The REthm Saadhnas for instance use the Lowther drivers but also have a passive bass module with a peerless driver for low-end extension.

It may perhaps be useful for you to listen a few more brands of floor-standing speakers and their high-end models to see if your trance music finds its perfect companion. There are almost no speakers that work well with every kind of music,so you would have to fix a budget and then see what compromises you're willing to make.

Which models of Usher did you listen to? There are many many other manufacturers whose products you can listen to and I'll let the more experienced people on these forums guide you in this regard.

Hi,

I'm open to 2/3/4/multi-way speakers too if I find what I'm looking for, but from all the reviews I've read on the internet I've got the impression that single full range speakers are the way to go. It's not that I'm an audiophile but that's the impression I've got from reading up on the internet and it does seem that audiophiles do really know what they are talking about.

Coming to what I have heard, they are JBL, KEF, Usher, and Mission till now. I'm looking to suggestions from everyone here as to what I should listen so that I can find what I'm exactly looking for, in other words speakers that will sound great with every kind of music thrown at them.

Hi Rastaman,

JBL, Usher, KEF and Mission, each of these brands have speakers from about 20K to many times that. I have no expertise in modern speakers, so my opinions don't count at all, but I have the feeling unless you say a bit more in detail exactly which models of these speaker brands you heard and exactly what you disliked about each of them, it is not going to serve any purpose for anybody. In addition, which recordings were used for each of these evaluations is important to understand what were your expectations and how they were not met. Mention of the quality of the auditioning material and the accompanying electronics including cables used are also important.

In addition, reasons for your inclination towards fullrange only was not clear to me at all.

Even I can name a bunch of speakers between 2L and 3L, but this will be just throwing around some names. To make a more meaningful discussion, I suppose you need to go into more details. Afterall, it's a lot of money, and mouthwatering possibilities (including some already mentioned) do exist.

Regards.

Sridhar,

Can you compare between CS2.3 and CS3 ? Have you heard them both?

Regards.

also, will your room be able to keep up with the speakers of your choice - the thump can become boom if speakers are coupled with wrong room :)

Hi All,

The speakers I have heard are
Usher - Be-718, Mini Dancer One
KEF - IQ, XQ series at ProFX (don't remember exact models).
Epos - ELS 8
Quad - 11L, 12L
Monitor Audio - RS8, RS6
Mission - M series
Klipsch - Reference series

I am sorry I do not remember the other components, cables, CD players etc., but most were NAD, Marantz, Cambridge Audio, and Arcam.

In most of them I found the bass to be lacking especially for dance kind of music like hip-hop, trance, etc. The mids and highs were pretty good in most of them, but the thump was missing. I would like the same highs, mids with additional thump too.

Hi Rastaman,

JBL, Usher, KEF and Mission, each of these brands have speakers from about 20K to many times that. I have no expertise in modern speakers, so my opinions don't count at all, but I have the feeling unless you say a bit more in detail exactly which models of these speaker brands you heard and exactly what you disliked about each of them, it is not going to serve any purpose for anybody. In addition, which recordings were used for each of these evaluations is important to understand what were your expectations and how they were not met. Mention of the quality of the auditioning material and the accompanying electronics including cables used are also important.

In addition, reasons for your inclination towards fullrange only was not clear to me at all.

Even I can name a bunch of speakers between 2L and 3L, but this will be just throwing around some names. To make a more meaningful discussion, I suppose you need to go into more details. Afterall, it's a lot of money, and mouthwatering possibilities (including some already mentioned) do exist.

Regards.

Hi Asit,

I have already written about the speakers and other components. Music was primarily what I listen to, I just mixed my own CD and carried it. It contains
Rock music from Dire Straits, Pink Floyd, The Doors
Pop music from Mariah Carey, Michael Jackson
Rap and hip-hop music from Akon, Massive Attack, Tupac

All the music was ripped from my own CDs and in WAV format.

I found the bass lacking in most of the speakers I heard. With the addition of good bass the speakers would be complete meeting my requirement.

I am not too well versed in cables to remember them.

The Marantz PM7000N offers big, spacious and insightful sound, class-leading clarity and a solid streaming platform in a award winning package.
Back