LP Sleeves in India

navinmra

Any place I can buy LP inner sleeves (paper or plastic) to replace my old ones? I see some online sites in the US selling it for 30cents a piece but not sure if they are available here.
Any help would be very appreciated.
ps: I live in Bangalore

Hello,
since new records are not manufactured in India so there is no active demand for new sleeves in India. So getting new sleeves in the market is out of question. But if you have a close look at a sleeve it is a very basic technology. Hence my suggestion is just take a sample sleeve to a polythene manufacturer or somebody who produces polythene packages and get it custom made. I don't think it is too difficult a thing to do.
thanks,
Mahiruha.

hi navinmra,

balaji on avenue road can help you get plastic inner and outer sleeves. there are ready made sizes available he can get them for you. he was mentioning long time back about getting polylined paper inner sleeves made from someone.

regards

I order both inner and outer sleeves from on line stores in the US.
The quality and fit are much better than the fabricated ones.

Thanks,
Sharad

Stevieboy
Any phone number to reach Balaji on Avenue Road? Thanks for the tip. I'm going to get some here as a backup and pick some in bulk from the US when I travel next.
Regards,
Navin

hi, balaji's number - 9342410288

personally am planning to get sleeves from acousticsounds.com or something like that. one time life investment so worth it since it'll be directly touchingthe lp surface

regards

Hello Guys,
just a view I want to share with all vinyl lovers. We all are happy about india becoming a super power and country showing lot of progress . But when it comes to a very basic thing like sleeves we are relying on overseas product. I have nothing against overseas products but a product like sleeve can be custom made here jolly well with a little bit of effort.Please don't distrust india's ability in production.
Thanks,
Mahiruha.

mahiruha,

its a question of demand. abroad lps are big and vinyl care accordingly has suppliers making stuff. here in india there's not much demand hence nobody making anything. and if you trust indian manufacturing all the best to you! :p

personally i prefer going by individual reputation of a person or company. i have an amp, a phonostage and speakers made by an indian but i dont consider it from the 'indian' point of view. they are simply good products that thrash some very well known foreign products.

if the indian guy uses substandard plastic for the lining of the sleeve (as indian manufacturers are wont to do in order to cut costs and corners) then what happens to my precious lps? no way!

regards

Mahiruha,

We are talking about products which are not produced in India since decades. You cannot compare stuff crudely put together in the bye lanes with professional products. The next thing someone would suggest could be to get our neighborhood plastic fabricator to make some LP records for us, instead of relying on overseas pressings. This does not sound patriotic to me. We need to produce more of what we can make well, and export it to the world.

I buy the following products from acousticsounds.com:
I honestly believe that these products were worth the price. Once I got them I started disposing the free sleeves and homemade stuff in the dustbin.

Thanks,
Sharad

Hi, I agree with Mahiruha. Its not anything high tech. I am also game for stock if we can all put our requirements together, it will be a sizable order for someone. else, am sure, if we scout the market a little, and decrease the size parameters to just the width, then even if we get bigger length sizes, we cud just mass cut the length of the covers. You will be surprised by the kind of sizes the guys in the market have. I will start looking around and inform if I get anything. You also pls let me know.
Also think about laminated brown paper or other paper covers if you think thats better.So in case the original lp cover is in tatters, you can take it apart in two pieces and stick them on this laminated paper sleeve, this will ensure your original cover stays, and the jacket becomes stronger with stronger joints.
Why brown paper, well, because its strong at that price point. You can get lots of other paper too, tons of imported paper but they won't be so cost effective.

Cheers

Hello,
since new records are not manufactured in India so there is no active demand for new sleeves in India. So getting new sleeves in the market is out of question. But if you have a close look at a sleeve it is a very basic technology. Hence my suggestion is just take a sample sleeve to a polythene manufacturer or somebody who produces polythene packages and get it custom made. I don't think it is too difficult a thing to do.
thanks,
Mahiruha.

there was one thread with a contact's name who would make these sleeves with poly inner lining so a search ought to yield it since madjack and mahiruha are interested.

Hello Stevieboy,
you have mentioned that you have an amp, phonostage and speakers made by an Indian. Coule you please elaborate on that please. Since I am enjoying this vinyl experience so much hence I am planning to invest in some deicated vinyl stuff. Well regarding the sleeves other day I had this vinyl dealer at my house. I asked him to bring around 200 LPS so that I can pick from them. It was a good experience and managed to get some very good LPS and and they were in very good condition. This guy gave me the idea of custom made sleeves. I am planning to send my people to those shops with sample sleeves to see feasibility of making them. I will let you know after the initial market survey. The sleeves Sharad has suggested isn't very expensive either. At the end of the day we want to listen to some good music and also protect our vinyls. Lets see what is the best way to achieve that.
Thanks,
Mahiruha.

hi mahiruha,

i have viren's (lyrita audio) amp, phono stage and speakers. if you're getting into vinyl get in touch with him and home audition his phonostage. he generally sends it to your house for a home trial, ships it to you if you're in another city. after which you listen and if you dont like you can return it. its simply brilliant. and the price is amazing. it lets you experiment with more expensive tubes. the amp is a 2A3 SET amp. the speakers are single driver fostex fe 167. together they give me far more emotion than i've heard in other combos.

most dealers will help you get inner and outer sleeves. you'd definitely not go wrong but somehow i prefer being safe and buying something that's tried and tested especially since it involves plastic which is subject to all sorts of stuff happening to it especially in indian heat conditions. might not but then again murphy's law kicks in when you least expect it to! :D the sleeves posted are exactly the ones i am going to pick up. 15 rupees per sleeve is definitely not expensive! when its going to last a lifetime!

some info for you to check up on. and madjack. i remember reading that there are two types of plastic hdpe and polyethylene. one is good one is not. or one is preferable to the other. just check what the foreign sleeves are made of do a few sites, sleevecity, bagsunlimited etc and see. i think hdpe is the preferred material.

regards

hi mahiruha,

i have viren's (lyrita audio) amp, phono stage and speakers. if you're getting into vinyl get in touch with him and home audition his phonostage. he generally sends it to your house for a home trial, ships it to you if you're in another city. after which you listen and if you dont like you can return it. its simply brilliant. and the price is amazing. it lets you experiment with more expensive tubes. the amp is a 2A3 SET amp. the speakers are single driver fostex fe 167. together they give me far more emotion than i've heard in other combos.

regards

Hello stevieboy,
thanks for your suggestion. I am just curious about one thing like for a person with no knowledge in electronics can I live with a tube amp without any hassle. Very honestly their apperance like aliens coming out of UFO is bit intimidating.;) When you say experiment with different tubes is it as simple thing as changing bulbs or some more elaborate tools and process involved.Also can I play attach a cd player with this amp 2A3 SET?
Thanks,
Mahiruha.

changing tubes is very very complex. there are many gods to appease, many rituals to complete, many secret chants to intonate, many sacrifices you have to make before changing a tube. PLEASE CONSULT YOUR DOCTOR BEFORE ATTEMPTING A TUBE CHANGE! :D :D :D

ok seriously its like changing a light bulb. pull out tube carefully when cool, plug in new tube and that's it you're done. viren runs his tubes under easy tube currents so tubes will last longer, less stress. also no biasing to be done so no need to fiddle around. tube amps are hardier. solid state components are more likely to blow under bad current conditions before a tube amp will. you can attach anthing to the SET amp. its like a normal amp, only a very different, very transparent 'involving' sound. i've got my phonostage, cd player and tv attached to the SET amp.

regards

Get the Wharfedale EVO 4.2 3-Way Standmount Speakers at a Special Offer Price.
Back