Lumin + Roon

square_wave

Pinging people who have using Roon while using a Lumin streamer. Lumin comes with a fantastic app. While using Roon with lumin, how does it work ? Is Roon build into the Lumin app ? Or does Roon replace the Lumin app on the Tablet and the streamer ends up being just an endpoint ?

Lumin is Roon Ready, so it natively supports Roon's proprietory RAAT protocol for Audio streaming. In a nutshell, Roon Remote App is your gateway to access your Music Library. When you play something within Roon, it will stream that file to Lumin, and Lumin will then process the digital signal, convert it to Analogue and send it to the amplifier.

Lumin is Roon Ready, so it natively supports Roon's proprietory RAAT protocol for Audio streaming. In a nutshell, Roon Remote App is your gateway to access your Music Library. When you play something within Roon, it will stream that file to Lumin, and Lumin will then process the digital signal, convert it to Analogue and send it to the amplifier.
My question was in the context of a streamer only device. U1, U1 mini etc.. Not the ones that includes a dac as well.

Also I am curious about the APP part of the question. If ones runs Roon with U1 mini, I guess the U1 mini becomes a Roon endpoint and you navigate music via the Roon app on your PC / Tablet, right ? End of the day, Roon app takes over your entire music collection on your Nas, Tidal, Qobuz etc..making the Lumin app redundant. I am trying to see if my understanding is correct.

My question was in the context of a streamer only device. U1, U1 mini etc.. Not the ones that includes a dac as well.

Also I am curious about the APP part of the question. If ones runs Roon with U1 mini, I guess the U1 mini becomes a Roon endpoint and you navigate music via the Roon app on your PC / Tablet, right ? End of the day, Roon app takes over your entire music collection on your Nas, Tidal, Qobuz etc..making the Lumin app redundant. I am trying to see if my understanding is correct.
Yeah thats right. The lumin Just becomes a roon end point, and will be visible as a end point to stream to in the main roon app on your tablet. Only when you want to stream from sources not supported by roon, like Spotify etc , then you have to use the lumin app to stream from within it.

Yeah thats right. The lumin Just becomes a roon end point, and will be visible as a end point to stream to in the main roon app on your tablet. Only when you want to stream from sources not supported by roon, like Spotify etc , then you have to use the lumin app to stream from within it.
@Yelamanchili manohar thanks for the clear sum up of the process.

I am struggling to understand how this is an advantage, is more convenient than one simple app with convenient UI/UE (BluOS?) .... or at least results in better SQ?

The analogy (not the best) that comes to mind is: Playing with a toy car, inside a Rolls Royce car while driving through a underdeveloped part of the country. It’s fun in bits.

I am struggling to understand how this is an advantage, is more convenient than one simple app with convenient UI/UE (BluOS?) .... or at least results in better SQ?

The analogy (not the best) that comes to mind is: Playing with a toy car, inside a Rolls Royce car while driving through a underdeveloped part of the country. It’s fun in bits.
Haha...each to his own I guess :D

A lot of money that goes into a streamer is mainly into its software and user interface. The smaller the number of people who buy it, the more expensive it gets. And has nothing to do with the actual build cost at all. Getting a lumin and plugging in as a roon end point seems like a waste of money to me...but that's just me :)

If I ever got back into streaming with slightly deeper pockets, I would get a pimped blue sound node 2i, with the LPSU mods, and stream into an external dac of my choice :)

I am getting the same message,....again.

All the components in the set up need to match, justify their presence in the chain, justify the cost in relation to other components.

Having one ultra high end component in a average system set up or one poor quality component in a very high quality set up is ... disappointing

Am my father used to tell me “moderation is key”

I am getting the same message,....again.

All the components in the set up need to match, justify their presence in the chain, justify the cost in relation to other components.

Having one ultra high end component in a average system set up or one poor quality component in a very high quality set up is ... disappointing

Am my father used to tell me “moderation is key”
Your father said it right but your example is not what he meant.

This is correct. We need to enable Lumin endpoint with Roon core

This is useful when one is attached to Roon interface and want to use it instead of Lumin default. Roon interface is second to none.

I am using Lumin app for x1. It’s nice clean and looks mature without any hiccups. But Roon interface is more user friendly

This is useful when one is attached to Roon interface and want to use it instead of Lumin default. Roon interface is second to none.
Thanks. I have no experience with Roon so can’t opine on the experience. But for $9 a month it must be a very good and well designed one.

I use Roon on my MacBook and I find it to be very good and easy to use. Superb recommendation engine. Have seen the demo of Lumin app as well as Esoteric App but I prefer the Roon app.

I use Roon on my MacBook and I find it to be very good and easy to use. Superb recommendation engine. Have seen the demo of Lumin app as well as Esoteric App but I prefer the Roon app.
Mac mini as Roon core is great. But with DSD upsampling enabled, it makes lot of noise. Reason being DSD conversion using lot of cpu cycles ,generating lot of heat. Hence fan kicks in.

Upsampling/MQA Decoding is one of the many features Roon Offer. Their Music Aggregating Service is the one I like the most. The way Roon manages my FLAC library and the amount of additional information it offers, it's worth the 10$/month.

Get the Wharfedale EVO 4.2 3-Way Standmount Speakers at a Special Offer Price.
Back