Luxman L80v

troutstudio

Hi there. I have a Luxman L80V I bought refurbished a long time ago. It works well except for the main volume which is crackly until it warms up. I was running some average speakers with it - Wharfdales. I'm a musician and I know what good sound is and I have a home studio with some expensive equipment. I don't have a den. I have a lounge full of stuff my kids use. A Sony TV and a Kenwood AV amp with a Jamo 5.1 system, Playstations, iPads etc. I never seem to get to listen to music at home except in my studio. It's always in the car or on headphones. So much music I listen to is in a compressed format. I do have a lot of CD's and that's what I was using the Luxman for. I just found it a bit too difficult to integrate into the plethora of stuff in the lounge. I need a new A/V amp with more HDMI inputs so I'm considering selling it. No - I won't ask for a price on something in my first post. What I want to know is if I should keep it. I just have so little room. Four drums kits and a piano; guitars etc. This amp doesn't get used much and it seems a shame. I think someone should be enjoying it in a clutter free room with decent speakers. This will sound like heresy here, but most musicians I know don't really sit down to listen to music a lot. If I get that time, I'm cooking or I will go and practice or work on endless mixes I seem to attract. I suppose I could put it in my studio but I only have powered speakers - Genelecs in there. This amp is like my analog synth modules. Not doing much. Do you think I pass it on? All electronics wear out right? I will probably just buy a new Yamaha A/V amp and never use this thing. Just don't want to regret it later. Thanks for listening. Nice to be in the company of real music lovers anyway.

What will you get selling it away? An old Luxman is a gem in its own. I suggest keep it with you, somewhere down the line you will be happy that you didn't sell it to make way to crappy Yamaha AVR. Just pack it and store it somewhere safe. Power it now and then in 2-3 months just to keep the electronics in shape.

The Luxman L-80V was made sometime in the 70s, so it is already over 40 years old. And with some TLC it can last another 50 years. It is a shame you don't find to enjoy it, but if I were you I'd hang on to it even for those rare moments when you find time for it.

Back