MA BX6 vs Dali or something else?

Zeus

A little Background:
I currently have the following system in a room size of 13.1 feet * 11.9 feet (4M*3.6M). My usage has typically been 90% Movies and 10% Music but in future planning for 70% Movies and 30% music.

Amp: Onkyo TX-SR304E
Sub: Onkyo SL-107
FS: SKF-4700F
Surround: SKM-4700S
Center: SKC-4700C
Source: Popcorn Hour C200 (mostly) and A110

Starting this month, I started looking out for some upgrade options. Went to Vector and listened to the Dali Zensor, Heco, Dali IKON 6, Dali Helicon with mostly marantz. They had B&W (don't remember series) and Helicon connected in the 5.1 setup and I immediately liked the Helicon over the B&W.
Then realized it was way over my budget. Came down and listened to Zensor, Heco and Dali IKON 6 in stereo setup with mostly music content and I really liked the Dali IKON 6 and again it seems to be almost 90K for a pair and the 5.1 system will cross 2L easily. Dali Zensor were also pretty decent.

Later I visited Audio People and auditioned MA BX6, MA RX6 and in that to my surprise I liked MA BX6 with Sunfire subwoofers and the Amp was Denon 2113. Most people usually like RX6 and hence the surprise. Denon 2113 was the Amp I shortlisted so I almost got to listen to the real setup in a way.

Now the dilemma:
Since my budget is around a max of 2L and the MA BX6 with Sunfire Subs and Denon 2113 is stretching it by almost 15-20K more. The primary concerns I have:
1. Will MA BX6 be a little too much for room of my size?
2. The Amp was kept at volume of 60.0 to actually get something coming out of the speakers and even tried with Denon 3113 model where the difference was not clearly noticeable to my average ears :). Again it was to be pushed beyond 55. Is this something of a concern? The reason I am asking is my Onkyo at volume level of 40 clearly induces nice power to my current speakers.
3. Came back from the showroom and started watching the same movie clips (Red, X-Men:First Class etc.) in my current setup, my current assessment is the BX6 should add a little detail but the bass should be a little more tight with sunfire. Again I understand a lot of this relies upon what settings are configured etc. on the amp. But I can clearly see the music experience will be definitely better as the couple of sample tracks I heard there sounded really better.
4. Have been reading that MA BX6 might need some burn in time etc. Would be needing some advice on how important is this?

My primary reason for upgrading is that I want the new system to have strong center channel (clear vocals) for movies at the same time not compromising on the Bass for the action scenes. Since I am content with the Bass of my current system, the vocals are driving these decisions. Should I get the Dali IKON 6 auditioned with Denon speakers in a 5.1 setup as well? As clearly the 5.1 package is way too expensive, I am keeping that option at Bay. One option here is definitely to go with Dali IKON center and fronts, Denon 2113 and Sunfire Sub and listen to all of them together :).
I am opening up these thoughts for inputs from various experts in this forum who either have similar experience or can guide me better around this. Please share your thoughts. Since it is a 2L investment and hence I am little jittery :)

Note: I posted this earlier in another forum, moving it here based on suggestion from one of the moderators. Will remove the other thread if I can delete it.

Still no love for this post :(...so trying to bump to get people's attention. Would love to hear from folks ...

can at least someone tell me if 2.15L for Denon with the MA BX6 package (5.1) a good deal? Should I negotiate further?

Sorry for not being explicit. It includes:
1. Denon 2113
2. MA BX6 Pair
3. MA Bronze Center
4. MA BXFX
5. Sunfire 10 inch woofer (DS series)
Installation is thrown in with the above..

I am not concurrent with all the prices but it doesn't sound obscenely high. Could well be the right price. The Sunfire woofer you mentioned is good. Give or take some, price seems ok. May be you can negotiate down 5-10 K rupees.

When you have such a nice budget why not look at American companies too.

Definitive Technology - They sound very good too. Some of their high end stuff is made from Aircraft grade aluminium too.

Klipsch Reference series are awesome too. They might be too big however.

Martin Logan - Another good high tech speaker maker. They have Vantage Electrostatic speakers. You should check them out.

I do not know how these compare to Dali or Quads.

Hey
What kind of music do you listen to?

I found the Ikons very pleasant to listen over a long session. Perhaps the MA weren't burned in I found them somewhat "bright". Very detailed, but can get fatiguing.
Both are good speakers. Don't allow your current budget to compromise your base selection.
If its the Ikon sound you like better, then go ahead and buy the L/R/Center right now, and continue to use your older speakers as
Rear L/R; and upgrade later (the 2113 can calibrate them well enough).

Hope this helps!

Last edited:
Thanks nomdeplume.
I am mostly looking at Movies as the primary usage (70%) and 30% on music. In music I mostly listen to English Pink Floyd, Dire Straits, Some Misc. Rock and also sometimes Hindi songs. I listened to MA with the Sunfire combination and I found it to my liking and I finalized on it as well yesterday. So I am going ahead with that combo for now.

K11, I am based out of Hyderabad and I wasn't aware of where I could get to hear them. Although I wanted to hear Paradigm speakers but they weren't available in Vector when I visited. I had read good things about Klipsch in this forum though.

I usually like tight bass (as a reference I usually use the scene from RED where they fire bullets in the first scene when they are entering to kill Bruce Willis, another scene is from the movie Lord of War where the AK-47's are fired. I usually like a good clean thump to be felt) and hence I really liked the IKON speakers.
I auditioned the MA BX6 with the MA subs and I didn't like the overall bass but they sounded pretty good with the Sunfire especially for the movies and hence it led me to finalize on them especially considering they were matching my budget as well.

Thanks to all the folks who helped me here. Anyways I am still open to hear the opinions\thoughts so that I get more educated for any future selections :)

Klipsch - I do not know if there is Cinebels in Hyd. They are near my house in Chennai. They do carry Reference.

Def Tech Distributor in India can tell you stores carrying it in Hyd.

Audio Excellence
B-64, Orchid Tower,
Near Yamuna Nagar,
Off Link Road,
Andheri (W),
Mumbai 400053
India
Tel : +91-22-65010877
Fax : +91-22-66925007
Cell : +91-9820186108
[email protected]

Martin Logan India Distributor

KEI
G52, Roopmangal Building. Gr. Floor.
Corner of Main Avenue & 16th Road.
Santacruz West. Mumbai- 400 054
Toll free: 1- 800- 22- 4244
+91 22 26051781 / 2
:: > Welcome to Kripa India <::

I used to work for Best Buy in USA before.
Magnolia division in Best Buy is the only place where you can listen to high end audio all across the US.

Last edited:
Order your Rega Turntables & Amplifiers from HiFiMART.com - India's reputed online dealer.
Back