MacBook Pro for streaming 5.1/7.1 movies

mreddyj

Friends,
I have a Macbook pro and have tried to play good 7.1 and 5.1 movies, but don't get the good sound ouput. I have a Marantz 6012 A/V receiver and i have also installed Kodi but still can't get the sound. And on A/V receiver it still shows as "PCM". Can someone who plays movies via their MacBook Pro please give me suggestions on how they are able to achieve on their MBP.

thanks

Hello,

Are you connecting your AVR via hdmi or 3.5mm output?

If hdmi then go to midi setup (ultilities) and add a new aggrigate device. It should show 5.1 channel there.

Then go to vlc (i don't use kodi so not sure about that) in playback device select the aggregated device that you have created. (This will also show in 'sounds' under settings)

There a tutorial video in YouTube as well

As per my knowledge, MacBook cannot bitstream audio to AV Receiver.
It can decode HD Audio and send to AV Receiver as PCM, but in my experience bitstream to AVR provides better audio output than decoding done by a device connected to AVR

As per my knowledge, MacBook cannot bitstream audio to AV Receiver.
It can decode HD Audio and send to AV Receiver as PCM, but in my experience bitstream to AVR provides better audio output than decoding done by a device connected to AVR

Right - it can although pass through HD Audio like True HD or DTS HD MA but it cannot yet formats like Atmos or DTS X - not from the last time I checked. For a HTPC, its better to stick with a Windows based machine with a decent GPU. If you need to watch 4k content, something like a 1060 GTX should do.

Hello,

Are you connecting your AVR via hdmi or 3.5mm output?

If hdmi then go to midi setup (ultilities) and add a new aggrigate device. It should show 5.1 channel there.

Then go to vlc (i don't use kodi so not sure about that) in playback device select the aggregated device that you have created. (This will also show in 'sounds' under settings)

There a tutorial video in YouTube as well
yes i have tried the 5.1 setup and even the 7.1 however it always gets the PCM signal and i can't do the way WASAPI setup on kodi.

Right - it can although pass through HD Audio like True HD or DTS HD MA but it cannot yet formats like Atmos or DTS X - not from the last time I checked. For a HTPC, its better to stick with a Windows based machine with a decent GPU. If you need to watch 4k content, something like a 1060 GTX should do.

What you mean by Pass Through?

For excellent sound that won't break the bank, the 5 Star Award Winning Wharfedale Diamond 12.1 Bookshelf Speakers is the one to consider!
Back