MadVR Envy

Nope.. I tried to enquire its availability but never got any response. But recently I contacted a dealer who have one in his demo room in Mysore and he told he can help me get one. But i want to see the demo first.

Nope.. I tried to enquire its availability but never got any response. But recently I contacted a dealer who have one in his demo room in Mysore and he told he can help me get one. But i want to see the demo first.
Yes one person who was here does have madvr htpc setup he does htpc based setup .cost is little high .if you consider madvr electronic then it will be even more expensive.
Now I see that person is banned from hifi vision.if you need i can share his contact details as I'm also from Mysore.

Anyone with MadVR Envy here?

I just received my Envy Extreme back yesterday from service in time for the WC final.

Would love to know your experience.

The feature set has come a long way in the last couple of years: https://madvrenvy.com/#mainfeatures

If you don't have a JVC native 4K projector and are watching HDR content, Envy's Dynamic Tone Mapping (DTM) will be a game-changer. You'll effectively have a new projector based on Envy's HDR handling alone. There are static tone mapping solutions available in non-JVC projectors but it doesn't compare to a DTM solution either in terms of quality or convenience (set and forget).

madVR's upscaling capability is legendary, of course. There's no comparison between the Envy and my NX7's upscaling, even when dealing with low quality content from my TataSky STB.

Setting things up for a Constant Image Height (CIH) setup using a scope screen by utilizing the Envy's instant AR recognition is a breeze. No more need for lens memories and zooming in and out with changing AR. The Envy will handle all the necessary scaling. You can also use the Non Linear Stretch feature to go from anywhere between a CIH to a Constant Image Area (CIA) setup for any AR. The possibilities are limitless here.

Subtitle management allows for subtitles to not be cut-off on a scope screen. Must have feature for one of my daughters who really missed the Envy for this reason (hard to follow dialogue in a non-native language when a line or two of subtitle isn't fully visible) when it was gone for a while.

The Envy supports a fairly large 3D LUT for accurate color calibration. While you will lose brightness from a calibration, the picture was significantly better for me after mine. You'll need your dealer to be able to offer calibration services.

You can reach out to Ankur Bhatt at Sound Sense for more details regarding the Envy and his calibration services (https://www.soundsense.co.in/contact-us). AFAIK, I'm his only customer where I'm at, so he'll know who you're talking about once you mention my location;)

Isn't madvr envy just a pc with a good GPU and latest version of madvr?

Why not just build one? Far simpler to do that.

Isn't madvr envy just a pc with a good GPU and latest version of madvr?

No. The Envy also has a custom HDMI capture card that allows you to run all your video sources through it, not just rips stored locally on a PC. There also is divergence between the madVR PC s/w and the Envy firmware, which is naturally only likely to grow over time.

Why not just build one? Far simpler to do that.

You could build a HTPC that acts as a video processor. However, madVR restrictions mean that you're only able to use versions up to a particular build version (sometime mid-late 2021, IIRC) if one goes down this route and no further. If you're okay with that, it can be a reasonable choice for the cost involved (seen estimates of around $1.5-2K) compared to the Envy.

No. The Envy also has a custom HDMI capture card that allows you to run all your video sources through it, not just rips stored locally on a PC. There also is divergence between the madVR PC s/w and the Envy firmware, which is naturally only likely to grow over time.

You could build a HTPC that acts as a video processor. However, madVR restrictions mean that you're only able to use versions up to a particular build version (sometime mid-late 2021, IIRC) if one goes down this route and no further. If you're okay with that, it can be a reasonable choice for the cost involved (seen estimates of around $1.5-2K) compared to the Envy.
I can bet a few bucks that the card will not be custom but rather something off the shelf, maybe with custom firmware.

Also you can't use it with any content that is copy protected right? So there is no way to use it with things like Netflix, prime, Disney etc.

I wonder what the point of it is then unless all you watch is 'ahem' content.

Better to use a pc with madvr renderer instead which can both decode and process things.

I can bet a few bucks that the card will not be custom but rather something off the shelf, maybe with custom firmware.

Correct.

Also you can't use it with any content that is copy protected right?

"It" being the Envy? If so, the Envy is a HDCP compliant device. As would be expected, otherwise it'd be pretty pointless.

Thanks.looking at the price it's better to go for sony or JVC native 4k instead.

Fair enough. If HDR playback is a requirement though and budget allows, the JVC native 4K series (lamp/laser) over any of the Sony's for me.

But pricing seems obnoxious.

Understand the sentiment, but one context for the pricing is that it is an extremely niche product in an already niche hobby. And you effectively get the software upgrades as part of the initial price paid, as long as the GPU in the unit can handle the algorithms. So far, that's been the case. US pricing for the two Envy models is $7499 and $14499, IIRC. And the Lumagen's (only Envy competitor) retail pricing isn't that far from the Envy's base model. If neither works, the HTPC as a video processor option (with the included caveats) can still be a pretty darned good value option.

Fair enough. If HDR playback is a requirement though and budget allows, the JVC native 4K series (lamp/laser) over any of the Sony's for me.

Understand the sentiment, but one context for the pricing is that it is an extremely niche product in an already niche hobby. And you effectively get the software upgrades as part of the initial price paid, as long as the GPU in the unit can handle the algorithms. So far, that's been the case. US pricing for the two Envy models is $7499 and $14499, IIRC. And the Lumagen's (only Envy competitor) retail pricing isn't that far from the Envy's base model. If neither works, the HTPC as a video processor option (with the included caveats) can still be a pretty darned good value option.
Is the device self upgradeable? What is the config of this PC that comes default with the envy?

@liverpool_for_life - I came across this thread and did check out MadVR ENVY, however I am unclear on where does it fit in the chain?
If you have the time to explain - do not want to hijack the thread. :)

I run MadVR beta on my system, MadVR is the ultimate videophiles dream, if you have the time and inclination, you needn’t bother about Dolby vision , hdr10+ or even hdr if you have a pre hdr projector or tv , MadVR can do dynamic tone mapping for you and that’s one part . There are many many more things it can do . I have been using the pc version for years and still possibly only scratched the surface , I’m sure the envy machines are worth it.

@liverpool_for_life - I came across this thread and did check out MadVR ENVY, however I am unclear on where does it fit in the chain?

The Envy is a single input device. So, by design, it sits between the AVR/processor and the display. Since it doesn't function as an input switcher, the Envy makes use of profiles for folks who'd like different settings for different source devices. There's also a bypass output port that skips all processing (useful for folks who game as the Envy has a significant processing time).

The Envy is a single input device. So, by design, it sits between the AVR/processor and the display. Since it doesn't function as an input switcher, the Envy makes use of profiles for folks who'd like different settings for different source devices. There's also a bypass output port that skips all processing (useful for folks who game as the Envy has a significant processing time).
Which gpu does your Envy have ? Is it multi gpu?

Yes one person who was here does have madvr htpc setup he does htpc based setup .cost is little high .if you consider madvr electronic then it will be even more expensive.
Now I see that person is banned from hifi vision.if you need i can share his contact details as I'm also from Mysore.
We can build a HTPC that is not the challenging part, I did research with my own limited knowledge. Issue is sourcing HDMI input card that can handle 4K @60 these are custom ordered. But I am interested to know what HTPC he builds based on Madvr.

I run MadVR beta on my system, MadVR is the ultimate videophiles dream, if you have the time and inclination, you needn’t bother about Dolby vision , hdr10+ or even hdr if you have a pre hdr projector or tv , MadVR can do dynamic tone mapping for you and that’s one part . There are many many more things it can do . I have been using the pc version for years and still possibly only scratched the surface , I’m sure the envy machines are worth it.
I agree, No doubt.. but the price is bothering me.

Join WhatsApp group to get HiFiMART.com Offers & Deals delivered to your smartphone!
Back