Making a tone arm

I probably will not be able to use them now or any recent future. but the joy of imagining, creating, knowing, trying things, joy in getting result in understanding things, realizing principles are wonderful.
The journey was worth it.

When, I will have enough space, I will try use them. I need to have an amplifier with pre-out first. Later an active cross over.
In between, someday I will make a TT as well. Who knows. I do not want to lose a chance to be a child. These all DIY make me child again.

Too complicated to me.

In the meantime, I tried my unipivot on my existing TT. It worked. I just did a preliminary trial without any proper alignment.

The feeling of hearing sound coming out of my own tonearm was SOMETHING!

I will make finer adjustment and will start using it soon.

I will post photos once I am done with its installation.

I am now seriously thinking of making my own TT too!

Good to be ambitious ! The TT is doable.
I needed something really suitable for the spindle. I use a discarded steel valve from an automobile. It was cut to size and ground on a centerless grinder to fit a brass sleeve which was drilled and milled to get a smooth bore. The shaft sat on a single ball ( from a bearing shop!) at the bottom of the brass sleeve. This turntable had a 2 inch thick wooden platter . It worked well though I don't remember it's sound compared to what we have today ! Couldn't have been that great ! I can't remember what happened to it. Probably got junked at some time ! :sad:

I use a discarded steel valve from an automobile. It was cut to size and ground on a centerless grinder to fit a brass sleeve which was drilled and milled to get a smooth bore. The shaft sat on a single ball ( from a bearing shop!) at the bottom of the brass sleeve.

The Altmann table uses a bike engine valve - in fact a RE Bullet 500 part
is one of the alternatives -

The Altmann DIY Turntable

Get the Award Winning Diamond 12.3 Floorstanding Speakers on Special Offer
Back