Making baby steps into Hi-fi

I do have a year at the minimum before I'll look at a source upgrade. In any case I'll definitely try to listen before I buy. I've have a very good run with blind buys: Except for the Trishnas and the Gaanam, everything I've bought so far was bought blind, based on just research. I don't want to push my luck as the price tags start getting bigger!

No problem, Ranjeet! Everything is on topic :)

Hi Hydra

Rethm is taking part in Munich High End starting day after. Actually Sound Galleries, their Monaco dealer, has taken a room. The speaker will be partnered with Audiopax amplifier. Also there is likely to be a Weiss, Metrum and Antelope Audio as source. You could write to Jacob today, requesting him to hear all 3 dacs and give his opinion on what sounds best with his speakers.

That's indeed a great idea! I did know Jacob was leaving for the show, but this never struck me!

Thoroughly enjoyed reading your thread. Got to know about Rethm only in this thread. Great set-up!
Not just a great setup but a setup that other small room setups should look up to. I visited Cochin in the end of may and this was my first introduction to rethm. Absolutely loved what hydra has achieved in a small room with not much place to play with - extremely pure tones, a shockingly realistic image and amazing sound staging. At that time he was using a prototype amp so I am sure it'll sound even better now.

Thank you, philistine!

roc, thank you very much for the nice words :)

I've actually not yet got delivery of the Gaanam Valve Amp. The Rethm factory has had a fairly busy two months, keeping up with speaker orders. I was told yesterday that the production amp was about done, and that I should get delivery in 2-3 days. Since I have the proto at home, I've not given them any undue pressure.

34rw0ib.jpg

And finally the wait is at an end! I got delivery of the Rethm Gaanam Valve amp today. To say that this amp sounds much better than the prototype I was using is an understatement! Right out of the box, the improvement is HUGE! The pre section is completely different in this production version, and that definitely shows! Everything is better. Everything!

Here's one one pic of the most of the system. I'm now running out of space in the room, and I need to find a place for the TT and it's pedestal. I'll need to figure out a new rack, and a way to lift the amps off the floor at least by a bit, to protect them. I've not tidied up, so I apologize for the mess.

dfu0zb.jpg

Not just a great setup but a setup that other small room setups should look up to. I visited Cochin in the end of may and this was my first introduction to rethm. Absolutely loved what hydra has achieved in a small room with not much place to play with - extremely pure tones, a shockingly realistic image and amazing sound staging. At that time he was using a prototype amp so I am sure it'll sound even better now.

roc, this amp is a huge improvement. I didn't think the production version would better the prototype by this much!

Back to music now! :)

Last edited:
Congrats. I can feel the purity of music just by looking at the rig.
Bonus is that both the speakers and the amp are complimenting each other aesthetically (wood+satin).

Thank you, Bhagwan, Jai, musicbee, santy and darshanjoshi!

Bhagwan, the amp looks even more beautiful in the flesh. I'm no photographer, and the wood and aluminum finish (particularly the aluminum) has not come out well in the photo.

musicbee and Santy, I had the amp made to match the finish of the Trishnas. Since I was willing to wait, and since Rethm is very accommodating, the custom job was not a problem :)

hydra,

these look killer. I am gonna show my wife this !! :)

am sure the sound will be excellent too.

I now have another excuse to visit Kochi apart from the lunch at BTH :D and Mattancherry / Fort Kochi !!

congratulations and njoi the music for a long time to come !!

mpw

For excellent sound that won't break the bank, the 5 Star Award Winning Wharfedale Diamond 12.1 Bookshelf Speakers is the one to consider!
Back