Malvai's TT Setup

In the declaration write personal baggage. Then there are no issues. My turntable just came that way. Guys i have been ordering regularly from abroad. There have been absolutely no issues. You just need to make sure your paperwork is correct.

actually most of my equipment except my DAC (Amp/Speaker/CDT/DEQ2496/Regenerator/almost all cables and Turntable) are all imported in.
Till now no issues (touchwood)

A lot depends on what kind of relationship you have with the seller. There are many folks on the forum who feel comfortable dealing with Grattan Vaz from Boomarang. Manav, Dinyaar, me....probably there are several more. Similarly Sridhar from ARN seems to inspire plenty of loyalty from many forum members.

I guess most buyers would be willing to pay a little premium for local support. But I agree with Prem and Arj, that if local prices are far in excess of international prices then it makes sense to buy from abroad.

Import of used electronics are banned by Indian customs.

That is absolutely correct

Is that so?? There is a vibrant and thriving market of used hifi goods sourced from Singapore, Malaysia etc here in Chennai with fresh supplies coming in every week or 10 days. I wonder how it is surviving in that case?

Is that so?? There is a vibrant and thriving market of used hifi goods sourced from Singapore, Malaysia etc here in Chennai with fresh supplies coming in every week or 10 days. I wonder how it is surviving in that case?

well, like all things 'Jugaad', this thirving market is using the 'loopholes'...

cmon guys..i am about as salaried and middle class one can get and importing is all in the mind. I have imported evrything from Speakers to power connectors to Books/CDs and it all comes thru pretty smoothly.
Have been called many times to the customs office and as long as you have the invoice values it gets cleared easily , and paying the duty is very easy as well...and i have not played bribe either.
if you use a shipper like Fedex/DHL/Shenker, they also take care of the customs and do a door to door delivery

yup.
CDT from Singapore, lots of Cables from all over, Turntable from EU, Monarchy DIp from US,Turntable Bearing/Motor backup from UK....

via ebay/audiogon

Hi Prem,

Import of used electronics are banned by Indian customs.

Regards,
Sachin

It is a shame if it is true... But when the government tries to play dirty with us, there are always ways of working around these stupid laws which are supposed to help only the rich industrialists who fear competition and keep throwing substandard stuff at us.....

Well, now we will probably have to buy used stuff and pretend it is new......

It is a shame if it is true... But when the government tries to play dirty with us, there are always ways of working around these stupid laws which are supposed to help only the rich industrialists who fear competition and keep throwing substandard stuff at us.....

Well, now we will probably have to buy used stuff and pretend it is new......

+ 1

Regards,
Sachin

that is so true panditji... so so true...

in fact many a times its easier to procure the stuff by using the loopholes rather than going about it the right way...

Now, most of us (read: me) are too terrified to try anything even remotely unlawful, so we end up paying a much higher price...

yup.
CDT from Singapore, lots of Cables from all over, Turntable from EU, Monarchy DIp from US,Turntable Bearing/Motor backup from UK....

via ebay/audiogon

Hi,
Recently I have bought a new in a box Micro Seiki TT from US.It had all original packing, so I asked seller to put New on Invoice.I should get it in a day or two.

Regards,
Sachin

AFAIK yes, we cannot import used electronics. But that should not stop us as we can still pay a fine(rate is lesser than customs duty for same category of new) and take delivery of our goods.

I know this is true for used automobiles and spares.

Hey Santosh, is that actually true??? Or do you mean that the fine is over and above the customs duty????

If they charge just the fine and no duty then I guess I may have found a new business opportunity...

Guys this must be applicable to couriered items only. I have brought quite a few items in my baggage declared as used and did not face any issues.
cheers
Sid

yup.

via ebay/audiogon

Hey, on one appears to give credence to Arj's experience. What do you guys have to say about his experience?

Well I have always bought stuff and carried them back with me on the flight....have never ordered and imported directly....Would be interested to read the experiences of others...

Hey Santosh, is that actually true??? Or do you mean that the fine is over and above the customs duty????

If they charge just the fine and no duty then I guess I may have found a new business opportunity...

Sorry Panditji and others. My info was wrong and I stand corrected. Just spoke to a friend who is very good at this. He said used electronics are banned.

Only way is to get used stuff as new and pay customs. If the item is caught by customs, there is a 5k fine slapped on it. Then we need to pay customs additionally and release the electronic item. He said for high value items, best is hand carry as ticket prices are affordable.

Back