Managing DIY Enclosures

kaushik

Adding thread for enclosure solutions:

Do add any info if you get quality enclosure (not poor fm radio/cheap looking local amp cases)in your city...

I have developed a wood metal enclosure in my delta sigma dac thread.Wood + metal look very good but a little effort is needed.

I have contacted 1 -2 companies for a small qty.. i recieved
quote of 380Rs . They are exporters [i will not disclose name to prevent flooding with emails,will disclose all if someday group buy becomes possible]
specs here :

Sheet Metal Box
Dwg No. xxxxxxx
Material:CRC Steel Sheet
Thickness :1.2 mm
Finish:powder Coated
Cost Per Piece:Rs380
Size: 25x 25x 5 cm(can be adjusted)
qty is 20 pcs
That is the problem... i need 3 of them.
If some takers can get them done .

Also other quotes welcome.. I have not checked local workshops yet! These boxes may be used for valve buffers
,preamps etc. Stepped attenuator boxes.Toroidal power supply too.

I am looking at making a custom enclosure for my DIY GG preamp wth tubes sticking out. Whats the dimension of this box? Does it have vents?

Edit: Just saw the dimensions. I need 14" x 10" x 2" with holes for tubes drilled in the correct place.

Regards

Last edited:
gobble,

the enclosure cant be made to any size for 1 piece order .

i thought a common size that will fit most DACs and tube pre can be worked out .Extra drilling i get done for 20bucks..(no square cuts).. will make tubes pop out for you,why u need such big box 14" x 10" x 2" ?rack mounting? most pre and dacs will fit in a common smaller size.

Cold Rolled Close Annealed= CRC(A)
I am not selling the boxes..the order can be given by any one but the qty is a hurdle.

Last edited:
Kaushik,
I am also interested in getting a compact enclosure to house the gainclone DIY kit that I am in the process of building. I do need cutouts for a poweron and volume control button as well. I assume the dimensions you mention (25x 25x 5 cm) should be enough to house the chips and a toroidal transformer?

Thanks,
Jinx.

@ajinkya
yes surely gain clone will be happy in that size,.Check for toroidal height.
Rocker switch and volume hole can be done easily here.
vents will be circular ..
[difficult to get square,if we get the already made die we are lucky at the mfr]...

No sorry the GG preamp comes in that size. I dont want to place the pcb's any closer for fear of EMI or RF interference.

Regards

@gobble,
you may like 1 piece pre but there are two piece
fully isolated power supply designs.

The same PSU can feed an external DAC and remain fully isolated like these
3029341033_1248893c68.jpg

i will tell how to make even better front panel exotic brushed finish etc.
Edit :The design for the enclosure will be
encl25255.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks Kaushik
I dont want to mess with this pre too much, except for reducing chassis height
with cut through for tubes.

Regards

I think you folks should reconsider steel as a chassis. Better to get a non-magnetic Aluminum one.

Regards

Hi Kaushik,

I am interested in the enclosure but i need a bigger one....I need something like W * H * D = 43 x 8 x 37 cm ie normal component dimensions.

Can you help me ??

Hi Kaushik,

I am interested in the enclosure but i need a bigger one....I need something like W * H * D = 43 x 8 x 37 cm ie normal component dimensions.

Can you help me ??

And I need one for affordable housing. should be large enough for one bedroom with attached bath. French windows in living room :)

Cheers

cha_indian ,
stop crying as gobble teases you!
let me ask the workshop guy here ...

can you do powder coating etc of your own?
problem is i need to run 2 -3 places for doing
and i wanted to find a easier way with that mfr.

list so far
----------------
gvenu -1
ajinkya -1
kaushik -3

I need to fabricate a simple Power Amp Chassis. I am planning to use aluminium. I was wondering if you guys know if there is any special requirement for the aluminium like type, grade etc. Is it possible to get 4mm , 6mm aluminium plates?

Also any ideas on finishing would be very helpful.

Thanks!

I need to fabricate a simple Power Amp Chassis. I am planning to use aluminium. I was wondering if you guys know if there is any special requirement for the aluminium like type, grade etc. Is it possible to get 4mm , 6mm aluminium plates?

Also any ideas on finishing would be very helpful.

Thanks!
4mm for front ,2.5 mm for u use for full body. Grade u need to check online. Here I get AL from HINDALCO .
Problem is the the thin aluminum comes as a big sheet.
For 1 cabinet getting a cut piece is difficult .

I previously thought bending is problem but most workshops do it ,they can give you enclosure with round holes for vents.

AL u an do anodizing,you can choose colors..provided the shop has it.For front brushed finish looks good . Brushed finish can be done at home. U can get the sheets cut and fit in a wood frame.That will simplify the whole process.

my dac enclosure i am making with wood and Al combo.

Hi Kaushik,

Any adea by when this dac enclosure will be ready. My dac is still singing naked!

Initially I have short listed a used 3HU Industrial rack and I think I will not use it because I am planning to go for a DIY SS (true Dual Mono) Power amp later and there I may require a big cabinet and this 3HU will be best suitable for that.

Thanks & Regards,
Venu

Hi Kaushik,

Any adea by when this dac enclosure will be ready. My dac is still singing naked!

Initially I have short listed a used 3HU Industrial rack and I think I will not use it because I am planning to go for a DIY SS (true Dual Mono) Power amp later and there I may require a big cabinet and this 3HU will be best suitable for that.

Thanks & Regards,
Venu

Venu ,

My enclosure should be ready in 2-3 days.

I think we will not get 20 people for the mfr ordering as i planned. pm me with the type of cabi u want.Let me check
here.

Else u can do of ur own with AL sheet and wood. Plan to the keep space for toroidal/r-core too..

I think we will not get 20 people for the mfr ordering as i planned. pm me with the type of cabi u want.Let me check
here.

Else u can do of ur own with AL sheet and wood. Plan to the keep space for toroidal/r-core too..

Please PM me on the cost. I definitely need about 3 chassis but just that not immediately. If it's not going to cost all that much, I just might get them now and fill them up laters...

Join WhatsApp group to get HiFiMART.com Offers & Deals delivered to your smartphone!
Back