Marantz 2020 Receiver PreOut Question

anirudhchandrashekar

Hey all, I was keen on checking out the 2020 offerings from Marantz. However, I have never used a Marantz AVR before as I have had multiple Onkyos in the past. This one feature in Marantz called "Amp assign" is what I am interested in and confused about.

So if there is an AVR such as the SR7015 which has amplification for 9 channels and processing for 11 channels (with ext amp) at a time, can I repurpose the front L and R channels to say, height 2 if I take pre-outs for the front LR into a separate power amp?

All of the preouts are always hot and can be pulled out for every channel but for my case, I will just need the preouts for L and R. That means I am not using the power section for front L and R. Can this be assigned to another channel, is my question.

I have seen screenshots of settings that say preout next to the speaker image that shows in the menu and I was wondering if that power can be rerouted into another channel which would originally need an external amp (height 2) if in case I chose to drive the front L and R from the receiver itself.

Cheers,
Anirudh

Hey all, I was keen on checking out the 2020 offerings from Marantz. However, I have never used a Marantz AVR before as I have had multiple Onkyos in the past. This one feature in Marantz called "Amp assign" is what I am interested in and confused about.

So if there is an AVR such as the SR7015 which has amplification for 9 channels and processing for 11 channels (with ext amp) at a time, can I repurpose the front L and R channels to say, height 2 if I take pre-outs for the front LR into a separate power amp?

All of the preouts are always hot and can be pulled out for every channel but for my case, I will just need the preouts for L and R. That means I am not using the power section for front L and R. Can this be assigned to another channel, is my question.

I have seen screenshots of settings that say preout next to the speaker image that shows in the menu and I was wondering if that power can be rerouted into another channel which would originally need an external amp (height 2) if in case I chose to drive the front L and R from the receiver itself.

Cheers,
Anirudh
Yes you can do that, when you are in Speaker Setup .. you have to select "I have more than 9 speakers" and then opt to have FL and FR via Preout and consume those two amps for height 2.

I have my FL and FR driven by Crown amp and I am not using the free up amps for height 2 though.

Hmm maybe you need to check the manual or try on the receiver itself. As far I can see only the Height 1 and Height 2 channels are assignable. That is if you are not using these for the respective channel then the amps the can be used for another channel, say bi amp the front speakers using height 1 and center speaker using height 2. So here Front speaker out drive for example the HF input on speakers and Height 1 drive the LF.

All other channels except heights are nom assignable, fronts stay as fronts and so on.

Hope I understand the manual right. Let's see what the experienced say.

MaSh

Yes you can do that, when you are in Speaker Setup .. you have to select "I have more than 9 speakers" and then opt to have FL and FR via Preout and consume those two amps for height 2.

I have my FL and FR driven by Crown amp and I am not using the free up amps for height 2 though.
Oh perfect. My Onkyo could not do such a thing. So, this is a really nice feature to have, I guess! :D

Cheers,
Anirudh.

Hmm maybe you need to check the manual or try on the receiver itself. As far I can see only the Height 1 and Height 2 channels are assignable. That is if you are not using these for the respective channel then the amps the can be used for another channel, say bi amp the front speakers using height 1 and center speaker using height 2. So here Front speaker out drive for example the HF input on speakers and Height 1 drive the LF.

All other channels except heights are nom assignable, fronts stay as fronts and so on.

Hope I understand the manual right. Let's see what the experienced say.

MaSh
Yes, I was just going through the manuals. All always, manuals = verbiage content and for good reason too!

Cheers,
Anirudh.

Buy from India's official online dealer!
Back