Marantz 4002 v/s Onkyo506 v/s Denon1708

monkeyman55

Guys !!! I recently bought Mordaunt Short Carnival series speakers. Please advice me as to which of the three AV receivers would suit best. Marantz 4002 OR Onkyo506 OR Denon1708??

I'm using marantz and very happy with it. amp section is quite good. the dsps are very good, Dolby PLII gives a pleasant effect, IMHO.
I have heard Onkyo and Denon during demos. Denon is more suited for movies, in my opinion. Onkyo, I think their higher end models are good; not very impressed with their low to mid range models.

in short, my vote would be marantz for music and denon for movies, out of the given choices. but leaving the options, I highly recommend you to go with AVRs that can decode Dolby TrueHD and DTS HD master audio, to be a bit future proof.

good luck.

I auditioned the Onkyo 506 and Marantz 4002 when I was hunting for my AVR and I liked the Marantz over the Onkyo. Marantz is much more musical than the Onkyo and is quitecompetent in the movies department. The Onkyo 506 on the other hand is quite exciting for movies but I am not very impressed with the way it delivers music. Its a little bright and it wore me out in 20 mins when paired with a set of Klipschs.

So- if your MS are bright sounding speakers do not pair then with the Onkyo. Perhaps other gurus here can comment on the nature of the MS speakers you have bought and advice.

My take:

1. Marantz 4002

2. Onkyo- 506

3. Denon- 1708

I'm using marantz and very happy with it. amp section is quite good. the dsps are very good, Dolby PLII gives a pleasant effect, IMHO.
I have heard Onkyo and Denon during demos. Denon is more suited for movies, in my opinion. Onkyo, I think their higher end models are good; not very impressed with their low to mid range models.

in short, my vote would be marantz for music and denon for movies, out of the given choices. but leaving the options, I highly recommend you to go with AVRs that can decode Dolby TrueHD and DTS HD master audio, to be a bit future proof.

good luck.

Thank you very much. You have been a great help.

I auditioned the Onkyo 506 and Marantz 4002 when I was hunting for my AVR and I liked the Marantz over the Onkyo. Marantz is much more musical than the Onkyo and is quitecompetent in the movies department. The Onkyo 506 on the other hand is quite exciting for movies but I am not very impressed with the way it delivers music. Its a little bright and it wore me out in 20 mins when paired with a set of Klipschs.

So- if your MS are bright sounding speakers do not pair then with the Onkyo. Perhaps other gurus here can comment on the nature of the MS speakers you have bought and advice.

My take:

1. Marantz 4002

2. Onkyo- 506

3. Denon- 1708

Thanks a lot. Yes the MS series I bought are slightly bright, yet quite pleasing, (can't complain for the price). I also liked the Marantz more. Thanks again. You've been a great help

hey monkey man.....how do the Carnival series speakers compare to the Avant series?

Guys !!! I recently bought Mordaunt Short Carnival series speakers. Please advice me as to which of the three AV receivers would suit best. Marantz 4002 OR Onkyo506 OR Denon1708??

I would go for the Marantz among the choices - if you have a slight bent towards music. If movies are your primary form of entertainment then the Denon or the Onkyo may be better.

A beautiful, well-constructed speaker with class-leading soundstage, imaging and bass that is fast, deep, and precise.
Back