Marantz amplifiers:7001,7001KI,7003,8003

shagun

Hello All,
I have decided to get MA RX6 speakers and am looking to pair them with a Marantz integrated amplifier(2.0 stereo setup).
Out of the 4 Marantz amps: PM7001(22K), PM7001KI(34K), PM7003(28K), PM8003(38K), please guide me on the following
a. what are the differences between PM7001 and PM7003
b. Are KI improvements worth the extra price
c. please confirm if PM8003 is the KI version of PM7003
d. which is better amplifier: PM7001KI or PM8003
e. which amplifier is best suited for MA RX6
f. which amplifier would be best value for money
Thanks.

Last edited:
I find the 7001 better then the PM 7003 and people tell there are few subtle difference between the KI Signature and the Ordinary one. But for my ears i am not able to find a great difference between the KI and Normal one. 7001 for 22k is a good buy.

Hello All,
I have decided to get MA RX6 speakers and am looking to pair them with a Marantz integrated amplifier(2.0 stereo setup).
Out of the 4 Marantz amps: PM7001(22K), PM7001KI(34K), PM7003(28K), PM8003(38K)
are these grey market or authorized dealer prices. also, how much are you getting the ma rx6 for?

Shagun - I would advice you to get an audition of Lyrita speakers+amp - your choice of MA indicates that you want very good bass. I would suggest you to schedule a time with Viren and listen to Amitys, with either a solid state amp, or with his tube amps.
Edit: Did you listen to MA speakers or buying on reviews only? If you did audition, where in delhi?

Last edited:
Shagun - I would advice you to get an audition of Lyrita speakers+amp - your choice of MA indicates that you want very good bass. I would suggest you to schedule a time with Viren and listen to Amitys, with either a solid state amp, or with his tube amps.
Edit: Did you listen to MA speakers or buying on reviews only? If you did audition, where in delhi?

Hi ANM, I have already given the money for MA.
I auditioned RS6 in Mumbai(Boomarang).Based on the reviews of RX6 and comparisons with RS6, I went ahead for it.

I find the 7001 better then the PM 7003 and people tell there are few subtle difference between the KI Signature and the Ordinary one. But for my ears i am not able to find a great difference between the KI and Normal one. 7001 for 22k is a good buy.

Thanks Soundofmusic,
Please explain a bit more how you found 7001 better than 7003.
Regards.

The PM 7001 was pleasing to listen , the hi freq is more sweet and the mids are controlled. where as the PM 7003 which i heard in a showroom was slightly harsh when compared to PM 7001 ( may be the 7003 is not burnt in?:sad:)
But the looks of the 7003 is stunning. Here both the amps before you buy. You may like the 7003. After all music is personal.:yahoo:

Hello All,
Out of the 4 Marantz amps: PM7001(22K), PM7001KI(34K), PM7003(28K), PM8003(38K), please guide me on the following
a. what are the differences between PM7001 and PM7003
b. Are KI improvements worth the extra price
c. please confirm if PM8003 is the KI version of PM7003
d. which is better amplifier: PM7001KI or PM8003
e. which amplifier is best suited for MA RX6
f. which amplifier would be best value for money
Thanks.

Hi:

a. Nothing much I think except the outlook and a little tweaking.
b. Yes indeed, you get what you pay for.
c. Yes, again some tweaking for the money.
d. If you have that budget, yes, PM8003.
e. Arcam A28, NAD C355, Marantz PM7001 KI.
f. Since new RX6's treble is a lot better than the RS6, I guess, Marantz amp would go well.

:)

Thanks Vinod,
You have always been a great help for me.

In the folowing reviews of 7001ki and 8003, tech radar says 7001ki offers more details than 8003 but at the same time it raises doubts on the value vs price tag for 7001ki:
7001ki review
8003 review

I request if someone has auditioned 7001ki & 8003 together, to put in his comments.
TIA.

Shagun:

Yes, the review is very confusing. See every amp has their own +/-, and I think we need to 'cast our nets' where we get best results for what we pay for.

I've heard PM7001/PM7001 KI and liked them both with my RS6 and never heard the latest ones, so can't tell you much about their SQ. Why not audition the RX6 with 7001KI/8003 ?

Shagun:

Yes, the review is very confusing. See every amp has their own +/-, and I think we need to 'cast our nets' where we get best results for what we pay for.

I've heard PM7001/PM7001 KI and liked them both with my RS6 and never heard the latest ones, so can't tell you much about their SQ. Why not audition the RX6 with 7001KI/8003 ?

Thanks Vinod.
Yes, I am waiting for 7001KI to be available for audition.

Shagun IMHO, if you're going for a MA RX 6, you should Ideally go for the KI series, 'cos even subtle differences dont show up as merly subtle diffeences on a speaker like MA...

I have just got MA RS8... Even on this I can tell you a good amp will make all the diff...

Shagun - did u finally manage to decide between the 7001KI and the 8003?

Would be really interested in your feedback if you've managed to audition them back to back with the same set of speakers?

Infact I'm in the very same boat as you were (or proabably still are?!) - confused between the KI and 8003.

I've read reviews and seen images of the internals of the PM8003 and the PM7003. Here are the links if you want to have a look:

http://www.marantz.jp/ce/products/audio/amplifier/pm7003/images/pm7003_fukan.jpg

GoodSound! Equipment Review - Marantz PM8003 Integrated Amplifier (6/2009)
(Just scroll down)

From what I've read, the caps (you can see the 8003 and I imagine the 7001Ki has similar caps are considerably bigger than 7003s) and the torroidal transformer make a difference to the sound quality interms of power, current capacity and the copper plated chassis and back panel on the 8003 helps with reducing unwated EMI.

I read the capacitor values somewhere but during the search I missed out the source of info and unable to trace it back! :sad:

So between the 7003 and the KI/8003, I would (at least theoretically) be inclined to the latter - don't know this justifies the extra money though.

I'm assuming here that the 7001KI and 8003 are quite similar though their power outputs do vary - RMS 75W & 70W (at 8ohm) respectively.

Please can you help me with the dealer contact details - from whom I imagine you've got the prices?

Many thanks and looking forward to your feedback!

G

Hi Goose,
Based on all the reviews,etc, I had decided to go for 7001KI (even without auditioning).But the sad part is that no dealer could finally get me the KI version(though initially some of them promised).

Currently waiting for 8003 to be available at a dealer in Delhi and will compare it with 7001(without KI) to check if 8003 is a significant improvement for my speakers.
Hoping to conclude this choice before year-end.
Let me know if you would still need the dealer contact details.
Regards.

hmmmph! Can understand the frustration...!

I tried calling a couple of dealers here in Chennai and both of 'em said no 7001KI, but they had the 8003 ready and they quote 48k!

Donno if this info will be of any value to you, anyways there was this one dealer guy in Mumbai that said he has a 6month old 7001KI customer returned unit with him, got that contact from a different thread on this forum.

I'm now all out hunting for the 8003, have given up searching for the 7001KI, guess no one has it. :sad:

cheers

G

Join WhatsApp group to get HiFiMART.com Offers & Deals delivered to your smartphone!
Back