Marantz CD player or Schitt Modi2 + Sony BDP-S1500?

Bloom@83

Banned
Banned
Hello

Probably this is a tiring question(yet again) but I'm seriously confused as to what should I purchase as my source.

I own a Marantz PM5005 and a pair of really excellent Elac B6 bookshelves.

Bulk audio collection of mine is in high - res files (although I do have quite a few original audio CDs). What I presently am doing is burning 16-44 files as Audio CDs and playing them from my very basic Samsung DVD player. Higher res files I'm playing directly from my FiiO X1 via Line Out.

Now , as a long term solution - should I purchase the Marantz CD5005 and play only audio CDs from it or go for greater versatility with the Sony Blu Ray player connected to the Schitt Modi Uber2 DAC?

Both combinations would set me back by 24-25K so my only concern is better sound quality.

Cheers

If video / play movies also your concern then go with bluray player with dac else go for dedicated cd player.

Unless and until you hear the Cd player or bdp + dac combo how will you be sure that what combination is superior sound quality wise ?

As its said so many times sound is very subjective. What I may like, you would call it crap and vice versa

Then comes the question that it's not possible to demo the exact combination

So a safer bet would be to use an existing laptop as source with a dac of your choice

With pc as source you can be flexible with what software you use, and yes it does influence' to a certain extent the final sound

I use a 10 year old core2duo pc as source. So you don't need any high spec configuration for music playing

Incase of a desktop pc go with the best PSU possible in your budget and quieter system fans if the humming sound bothers you in any way

should I purchase the Marantz CD5005 and play only audio CDs from it or go for greater versatility with the Sony Blu Ray player connected to the Schitt Modi Uber2 DAC?

The question boils down to delta sigma versus multi bit ? (For correctness, you have only d/s in your list and I have upgraded the last DAC in your list)

IMHO not even a question, multi bit. Audible sonic gain. No doubt (For correctness I have not heard the Schiit Modi multi bit or all the other than what I own d/s / mb DACs out there)

ciao
gr

Schiit Multibit DAC will be future proof.

How can a DAC being multi bit make it future proof?

Broadly, people would believe it to be more organic sounding then the delta sigma version but its hard to understand how it is future proof

How can a DAC being multi bit make it future proof?

Broadly, people would believe it to be more organic sounding then the delta sigma version but its hard to understand how it is future proof

Because If Schiit comes up with any new DAC design (Alpha/Beta or Rho/Theta :indifferent14:) then users can implement this in Schiit Dacs.
Dacs from Schiit are future upgradable :clapping:

Examples :
Schiit Audio, Headphone amps and DACs made in USA.

This is the board which will upgrade the Bifrost to Multibit Bifrost.
Hope i am clear now :cool:

Okay what you meant was all schiit dacs are future proof due to their modular deisgn
Agree on that point

At this price point every piece of equipment will have limitations that would be apparant. If you go for a CD+DAC combo you would need a decent cable as well. Suggest you save up and go straight for the Marantz 8005 CD Player. It sounds beautiful and you will be happy for a longer time rather than feel let down and look to upgrade soon. Multibit does sound more natural but at this price point dont worry about this aspect. Go with a better designed product and Marantz has been doing this well for decades. Save and buy.

Schiit Multibit DAC will be future proof.

Modular design and upgrades are for dacs from bifrost upwards. Not for Modi range. Please see the modular design with separate ps, input and dac board for Yggdrasil
yggy-pcb-1920.jpg

And compare it with that of modi multi bit
modi_multi_pcb_top(1).jpg

Last edited:
The DAC plus blu ray will give you better sound. The Marantz maybe technically better but being a 5005 series player it isn't going to have any fun factor. Go with the schiit DAC.

Bluray + Dac Is Best Option, Since You could play CD as well as digital Files from your External HD.I was in same boat before Buying Pioneer BDP 180.Later Added Modi Schiit DAC in the Chain and it serves my all needs from Audio to Video.

Make sure the Bluray you opt shall have External HDD compatible.

congrats :clapping: ,

How is the experience when U compare it(CDP) with the dvd player...
Ruling out placebo effect - I can say with precision, that my CD Player sounds fuller, airer, richer than my previous temporary DVD player. The difference is SQ should be apparent to any layman.

The Schitt Modi Uber 2 is a very good piece for the price, but I've played the same file as flac from the Modi and in CD from the 5005, and I prefer the sound of the CDP. There's this incredible synergy between the 5005 player and the PM5005 amplifier. Not for nothing do the experts talk about pairing complement components together. :)

Sent from my A0001 using Tapatalk

Back