Marantz CD6002 owners in Bangalore?

gobble

Anyone owning the CD6002 in Bangalore? I want to check a potential problem in SQ with mine for an A/B comparison. I realized last week that the high frequencies are rolled off unduly and I would like to carry my CDP to your place and check against yours.

Regards

Anyone owning the CD6002 in Bangalore? I want to check a potential problem in SQ with mine for an A/B comparison. I realized last week that the high frequencies are rolled off unduly and I would like to carry my CDP to your place and check against yours.

Regards

i would be glad if you came to kannur - i can drop you back to bangalore

Suri, thats one hell of an offer. I can see that you are mad about driving too!:D
You make it sound like Bangalore is a block away!
Really appreciate your spirit to help others!:)

Thanks Suri. Very kind of you but difficult for me... :)

Did you do A/B comparison with nay other CDP with your CDP?

Are you happy with the high freq extension?

Regards

Thanks Suri. Very kind of you but difficult for me... :)

Did you do A/B comparison with nay other CDP with your CDP?

Are you happy with the high freq extension?

Regards

hi gobble,

i have not done that kind of comparison -

i have not been unhappy with the high frequency reproduction of my sytem.

are you implying that you are unhappy during recent times about this aspect, while earlier you had no complaint?

regds suri

hi gobble,

i have not done that kind of comparison -

i have not been unhappy with the high frequency reproduction of my sytem.

are you implying that you are unhappy during recent times about this aspect, while earlier you had no complaint?

regds suri

Well hearing is believing. Sinister got his new Oppo BD-83 to my place this weekend and we did an A/B test. The BD-83 excels in frequency extension over the CD6002. I too got much improved frequency extension with the GG preamp and my CDP when I auditioned ealrier.

So two things are potentially impeding high frequencies.

1. High Zout or output impedance of CDP coupled with modest Zin or input Impedance of my budget amp (20K ohms). This is causing attenuation of frequency extremes. The GG pre has a Zin of 50K which is likely to exceed 10 times the Zout of the CDP. Zout of CDP is unknown but it may be in the range of 300+. NAD521 for ex has Zout of 300 while the 542 is 150. High end CDPs touch a good figure of 50ohms. The Zout for CD6002 is not published.

2. Something genuinely screwey about my CDP. which is what I want to rule out.

When the preamp is ready, We will do A/B test with oppo once again to check frequency extension. The BD-83 I think has variable out that allows it to drive my poor budget amp without attenuation on frequency extremes.

That aside you must be interested in how the BD-83 stacks up against the CD6002.

We both thought the Oppo had just a hint of more "noise" and that hollow electronic coloration compared to the Marantz. Mind you the CD6002 is only a budget player and not free from artifacts either. But it sounded cleaner smoother and creamier in comparison. The effect of the HDAMs is clearly audible with the way the SQ has more body and weight, especially prominent with the vocals. The oppo sounded slightly hard and brittle and thinner, to compare with.

With the Marantz for example, Mark Knopfler sounded the way he should when he sings, caressing the mike almost breathing into it while strumming his guitar. But in the Oppo he sounds distant like he's yelling into a mike far away.

Both of us concluded that the Oppo was still quite great and good enough for daily causal listening. But it cannot involve the nitpicking audiophile the way the Marantz does. Having said that, I find the budget Marantz CDP paired with the NAD to be deficient now in the aspect of frequency extension. it is rather more fair to say that something has been nagging me all along for a year now, but I could never place a finger on it. Now I know what it was all along!! :clapping:

Yes the introduction of the GG pre in the chain will improve things. It only remains to be seen if the cymbals will sound as good with the correct prominence, "ting" and decay with the preamp in place as with the Oppo. We plan to repeat the audition in Feb with the GG pre.

Lastly it gladdened my heart to hear my speakers sing with the high and low frequency extension in a way I never heard it before :licklips: and to think I was blaming "full range" specs for the lack of frequency extremes. Well you relearn something and correct opinions every once in a while .. :)

So in conclusion - either the Preamp corrects the situation or I'm doomed to upgrade the source sooner than later. Its not possible to live with less once you've tasted more in your own setup ... :mad:

HTH
Regards

Last edited:
Order your Rega Turntables & Amplifiers from HiFiMART.com - India's reputed online dealer.
Back