Marantz PM6006 & subwoofer connection

Winstonhlng

Hi all, I am a new member & have just read thru the various posts here & also searched YouTube on connecting a subwoofer to amplifier but am still confused : which output terminal of my Marantz PM6006 integrated amplifier do I connect ? I have an entry level Wharfedale S8e subwoofer & it has a clearly labelled input connecting terminal but for the PM6006, which one ?
Many thanks all

Attachments

• 5E935F3B-76D6-4F6E-B480-05B4A2998B52.png
    5E935F3B-76D6-4F6E-B480-05B4A2998B52.png
    453.2 KB · Views: 27
Pm6006 does not have a sub out like pm6007. You have 2 options.
1 Use the recorder out and connecto to your sub.
2. Use high level outputs and control the crossover.

I had a similar query and found the answer on this forum itself :) -
Option 2. If Amplifier has speaker A + B options
a) Amplifier Speaker Set "A" - Connect your speakers
b) Amplifier Speaker Set "B" - Connect your Sub
Now, you can use A + B if you want to use speakers + sub both specially when watching movies, or just A to run speakers without sub.
You can read the full post here - https://www.hifivision.com/threads/...tereo-amp-bookshelf-spk-sub.65878/post-725406 by @guddu478

I had a similar query and found the answer on this forum itself :) -

You can read the full post here - https://www.hifivision.com/threads/...tereo-amp-bookshelf-spk-sub.65878/post-725406
With all due respect to the learned FM, the directions are a bit confusing to my mind. I'm not a seasoned audiophile so perhaps its taking me some time to understand. I'm not sure what he means by speaker cable and which connections for the speaker cable to be connected to at the back of the amp or that of the sub. Can you please help elaborate?

Last edited:
Hi all, I am a new member & have just read thru the various posts here & also searched YouTube on connecting a subwoofer to amplifier but am still confused : which output terminal of my Marantz PM6006 integrated amplifier do I connect ? I have an entry level Wharfedale S8e subwoofer & it has a clearly labelled input connecting terminal but for the PM6006, which one ?
Many thanks all
I have a pm5005 connected to svs pb1000 sub.

Method 1
On the back of the amp, you have Speaker B speaker terminals which send line level/amplified signal, so have them connect to line level on the sub. i.e. connect the left and right speaker terminals (on the back of the amp) with 2 wires/speaker cables connecting to the 'line in' plug/ terminals on the back of the subwoofer.

Method 2
You may also connect rca cables to the terminals marked 'recorder' on the back of the amp and have the left and right rca cables run to/connect up to 'rca in' on the back of your sub.

Both will depend on what inputs does the sub have on the back. Since mine is an active sub (i.e. Has its own amplifier built in), I prefer the second approach.

While most prefer method 1 as its an amplified signal to the sub, I prefer the 2nd method bcz it doesn't tax my amplifier by sending line level amplification to the sub.

Hope this helps..

Side note - if u connect the amp and sub through speaker terminals (line level connections) the volume control issue is addressed automatically (since the amp will send the required amount of current to match volume between speakers and the sub). Since the amp shares the built in amplifier module with speaker A and speaker B line out, i would advisse not to connect the sub, especially if you have a passive sub (bcz it will req the amp to power the sub as well)

I have a pm5005 connected to svs pb1000 sub.
I have the PM6006 but the scrooges at Marantz haven't provided a sub out with it either.
Method 1
On the back of the amp, you have Speaker B speaker terminals which send line level/amplified signal, so have them connect to line level on the sub. i.e. connect the left and right speaker terminals (on the back of the amp) with 2 wires/speaker cables connecting to the 'line in' plug/ terminals on the back of the subwoofer.

Method 2
You may also connect rca cables to the terminals marked 'recorder' on the back of the amp and have the left and right rca cables run to/connect up to 'rca in' on the back of your sub.
Won't that require me to modulate the volume manually every single time i increase decrease the volume?
Both will depend on what inputs does the sub have on the back. Since mine is an active sub (i.e. Has its own amplifier built in), I prefer the second approach.
Method 2?

While most prefer method 1 as its an amplified signal to the sub, I prefer the 2nd method bcz it doesn't tax my amplifier by sending line level amplification to the sub.
I didn't realise sending a line level signal taxed the amplifier. Does it mean that the REL T9i (active sub) that i have connected to my amp through line level is draining power. If so, is it a negligible amount or is it affecting the power draw of my speakers?
Hope this helps..

I have the PM6006 but the scrooges at Marantz haven't provided a sub out with it either.

Won't that require me to modulate the volume manually every single time i increase decrease the volume?

Method 2?

I didn't realise sending a line level signal taxed the amplifier. Does it mean that the REL T9i (active sub) that i have connected to my amp through line level is draining power. If so, is it a negligible amount or is it affecting the power draw of my speakers?
The Pm5005 is also like the 6006.no dedicated sub out. Hence the 'jugaad'

I think when u connect line level, the volume level amplitude is controlled by the amp. So to my mind, a seperate controller may not be required.

If u look at the circuit design, the amp module shares the output between speakers. So when I have 1 set of speakers connected, it gets full draw from the amp. When I connect 2 sets of speakers, the amp output is split between the 2 pairs since there is only 1 amp for both speaker A and speaker B. As for your query, since u have the 'active' REL sub, as u rightly mentioned, the power draw is negligible. Had the sub been a passive one, the single amp module would have to do double duty of powering speakers and sub. In your set up, the amplification is done within the amp of the sub, so no worries there.

In my case, being a small room, I have the volume set for the sub and speakers do most of the work. The sub only fills in the very low end at a moderate volume. In my room, room modes get activated so having the speaker close to the wall gives deep audible rumbly bass. For the feel in the gut, the sub comes in. Specifically in my room, if the sub wasn't controlled, it gets very boomy (read upset wife and complaining neighbours)

Last edited:
Many thanks all
I don't think you can connect your marantz to your wharfefale sub. The sub doesn't seem to have speaker level inputs and the marantz does not have rca pre outs.

The amp is good, I would recommend you upgrade your subwoofer. Look for a sub that has either rca input and output or speaker input and output for easy connectivity in the future.

MaSh

I think when u connect line level, the volume level amplitude is controlled by the amp. So to my mind, a seperate controller may not be required.
Line out or Recording out of amp is different than Preout. With preout, amps volume control with work. Rest may be full signal out.
If SW has line in and out, then source can be connected to line level in of Sub and line out of sub to stereo amp input. Again volume control can be an issue. Best is speaker / High level in connection with amps speaker B out.

Last edited:
Many thanks all
What's your source? As @MaSh mentioned you cannot connect from your amplifier. But if you are having dac/streamer with separate sub out then you can connect. If there is no separate sub out, still you can use some Y splitter rca cable and connect to your subwoofer from your streamer/dac/cca etc.

In my basic understanding Recording out to subwoofer in would be better (With inconvinience of adjusting volume) than second speaker output to subwoofer. As we dont know the main speakers it will stress the amplifier at low impedance/loud levels.
Few years back they didn't even bother to answer my email about what Recorder out is on their amplifier. In old days Main in, Pre out, Tape Monitor were so versatile, useful and common. And I guess does not add much to the manufacturing cost of amplifier. However their higher end 800X has all the functions but costs around 1 lakh. I guess they know what people want and want rob us of significant money for simple basic things.
Regards.

Join WhatsApp group to get HiFiMART.com Offers & Deals delivered to your smartphone!
Back