Marantz PM7200

vmscbe1974

Iam being offered a Marantz PM7200 looks good not auditioned yet . Before confirmation thought to get experts advice on this product . My speakers are JBL 4412A . Would this combo work well for vinyl listening?
regards
Srinivasan

Iam being offered a Marantz PM7200 looks good not auditioned yet . Before confirmation thought to get experts advice on this product . My speakers are JBL 4412A . Would this combo work well for vinyl listening?
regards
Srinivasan
Yes. It can drive them. But whether it works well in your room depends on how your room is. But anyway, the marantz is easy to sell out if it didn't work out in your system. Technically there isn't a problem

Since its around 15 years old, ensure its in a very good condition...no crackling noises,hum etc.
Yes sir . Since my prime listening is records a vintage amp would be good for it . Presently having a Pioneer SA 9100 and Harmon Kardon 6500 . Planning to sell these off .

Yes sir . Since my prime listening is records a vintage amp would be good for it . Presently having a Pioneer SA 9100 and Harmon Kardon 6500 . Planning to sell these off .
I have not heard the PM 7200. But I had the SR 8200 which was a sweet sounding and powerful receiver assuming from the same era. It was really good for stereo listening. In all probability the 7200 will do justice for the vinyl listening. But pls audition it if possible as sound subjective.. Pls check it's condition. Else you can also try Nad integrated amps.

Last edited:
Apparently, the PM 7200 has a special feature whereby it can be played in class A, 25 watts pc @ 8ohms or in AB mode with 95 watts pc @ 8 ohms & 155 wpc @ 4 ohms. It seems to have good user reviews.
As per the users, class A mode has been praised & preferred more than AB. You can enjoy the best of both class A & AB. Pls grab it if it is in good condition.

Last edited:
Yes I have taken one . But somehow I prefer the Pioneer SA series 9100 which I had . Went for a replacement becoz the pioneer right channel was not working . I feel might not hold on to this for long . Trying to get a Apt Holman pre amp . If that’s through then this would be used as a power amplification unit only .
I may be wrong but just trying myself to adapt to the Marantz sound .

Yes I have taken one . But somehow I prefer the Pioneer SA series 9100 which I had . Went for a replacement becoz the pioneer right channel was not working . I feel might not hold on to this for long . Trying to get a Apt Holman pre amp . If that’s through then this would be used as a power amplification unit only .
How do you compare the Pure Class A sound compare to the normal mode? Do you hear any significant difference?

Is this with your turntable or other sources too?. I have a Marantz PM7000 which is exactly the same as 7200 without the class A option. The phono stage on this amp is pretty mediocre. It was an afterthought/convenience feature as the amp came out when vinyl had gone out of fashion and CDs were the rage . Try an external phono pre-amp. My PM7000 sounds great with the Schiit Mani. Am sure your Pioneer would sound better overall as it is vintage but adding the external phono preamp made a huge difference for me.

Is this with your turntable or other sources too?. I have a Marantz PM7000 which is exactly the same as 7200 without the class A option. The phono stage on this amp is pretty mediocre. It was an afterthought/convenience feature as the amp came out when vinyl had gone out of fashion and CDs were the rage . Try an external phono pre-amp. My PM7000 sounds great with the Schiit Mani. Am sure your Pioneer would sound better overall as it is vintage but adding the external phono preamp made a huge difference for me.
Yes that’s what Iam thinking of . Getting a pioneer sa8900 . If sets well might keep the marantz for digital source and pioneer for tape and vinyl .

I am also using Marantz PM7004 having phonostage which I like better than Mani. I have been using Mani for a long time though. But somehow Marantz 7xxx series was lost its acceptance among listeners and Marantz decided to drop.

I am also using Marantz PM7004 having phonostage which I like better than Mani. I have been using Mani for a long time though. But somehow Marantz 7xxx series was lost its acceptance among listeners and Marantz decided to drop.
7000/7200 came out in early 2000.7004 is a comparatively new model. The phono was upgraded by then.

Check out our special offers on Stereo Package & Bundles for all budget types.
Back