marantz ref preamp kit!

Hi,

It seems to be very good value for money although it (the listing) does not explicitly mention how the name Marantz comes into it. As far as I know, Marantz do not sell DIY kits. Perhaps it uses components from Marantz or is based on a Marantz design.

The sound quality is an unknown which will reveal itself only when the kit has been assembled. You can ask the seller to point you to reviews on the net. If it's good you have a winner.

Best wishes.

This will be a Chini clone of popular vintage gear circuits that are sold on sites like AnalogMetric. Going by my experience with the grounded grid preamp kit, They will sound pretty decent and possibly better after some cap upgrades.

However I've seen folks on diyaudio point out some minor flaws or sub-optimal circuits/designs that somehow don't seem to impact usability. Weaknesses may be in safety features in how the circuit will react in component failures etc. We won't know.

Then again I am underestimating Chinese ingenuity when saying that.

Give it a shot.

--G0bble

hi all,
while searching for a good preamp kit, i found following link.

Best Preamp Pre Amplifier DIY Kit Ref Marantz SC7S2 HDAM AMP...USD 64.90/Piece Wholesale Price at DHgate.com

what do u guys think?

thanks,
pranam

Please check the below posts for a few good options:

http://www.hifivision.com/what-shou...mp-phono-4-1-source-selection.html#post275333

http://www.hifivision.com/wanted/15165-decent-preamp-needed.html#post209739

There are a lot more options if you search diyaudio.com. My take? Why go for a possible rip-off when you can get an original (and maybe even better?) design for not a lot more...

i believe corrson's is not selling any components or kits now a days. i emailed them for a speaker kit for which they replied that they are not selling kits anymore.

Hi Soundnovice,

What exactly are Corrson's dealing in now? Haven't they thought of updating their website for the benefit of potential customers?

Regards.

This is a Chinese clone, if the 'real thing' exists that is. Dhgate is a very popular and LARGE retailer who sells a lot of 'Cloned' stuff. I picked up a camera grip for 1/4th the price last year.

I'd get advise from other forum members before taking the plunge - who knows might just be good.

On the same note, the Chinese clones of the ever popular PGA2311 volume control gets bashed regularly due to its 'great' quality - sold via ebay.

Overall the circuit looks goods. If I am wrong I can spot Elna filter caps and an Alps pot. The blue velvet ones from Alps are great cost almost 600-700 rupees. One more good thing is that this is a modular yet discrete design. Should sound good. I find most of the Chinese kits well worth the money maybe a few use cheaper capacitors. Only a few days back I procured 7 LM3886 chips for 1200 bucks on element 14 even one would have cost me 450 bucks, and yes they are not fakes.

China clones can be picked seeing multiple reviews.Beware of some things..
> fakes of caps are there , may be used in cheap kits, upgrade will cost almost double sometimes
> china package may contain wrong components
> circuit may drastically deviate from original

AFAIK Corrson is now mostly making amps, preamps, dacs and the like, no longer offering diy parts or speakers. I spoke to Siva( owner of Corrson) last week and plan to go over to his place when time permits to audition some of his gear.

George,

When you meet Siva you may gently suggest that he updates his site and put
relevant information. That site has not been updated in the recent past anytime.
If he has moved on and makes great gear now, let him put it up on the site.

Will prevent many DIY'ers from having false ideas,:mad:

Thanks

Purchase the Audiolab 6000A Integrated Amplifier at a special offer price.
Back