Marantz SA 7001

mayukh80

hello everyone,

I am running a series of threads for the last couple of years regarding the problems I am facing with my SA 7001.

To summarise, the CDP started showing problem with the reading of contents first, followed by problem with the closure with the CD compartment.

After sometime, all problem vanished and the CDP performed well for a year.

Since mid 2019, it started showing problem with the display and playing and by Sep it totally stopped. Got it checked by a couple of guys who deals with this kind of CDP.

Finally based on inputs received at this forum, I handed over the player to a dealer of Marantz at Delhi. After system diagnostic, he informed that the IC of DAC need to be replaced and order was placed at their factory. After 4 months, I get to be informed today that the IC delivered has some "units" (I am not conversant with their lingo) which is NOT :( matching with the circuit board and the factory has been informed. However, the chances of original configuration IC is slim.

So here I am after a year with a metal box which is good for nothing. I don't want to part with this SA 7001 as this I like this hardware. It feels so bad that till date there is no dedicated service facility for premium hardwares in India. Its so easy to pick one from the shelf and then you are almost on your own.

Is there any way out to give a final try before giving it a funeral?? If so, I look forward to suggestion for replacement. I have quite a collection of CD's and I am looking forward to use my existing collection of FLAC files also.

Help me out guys !!

Thanks in advance :)

Last edited:
HI Mayukh,

Just wondering if you can use/repair your player just as a transport, since you mentioned "IC of the DAC" was damaged. If yes, you can then invest in a external DAC.

Best
Raghu

I am not so technically sound to suggest how to repair the CDP but maybe someone can help with a good repair guy in Delhi

HI Mayukh,

Just wondering if you can use/repair your player just as a transport, since you mentioned "IC of the DAC" was damaged. If yes, you can then invest in a external DAC.

Best
Raghu

I enquired the Marantz guy if it can be used as a transport . He said it cannot be done. I dont have much knowledge on this.

If the problem is only associated with DAC, you can still use it as a cd transport. But based on the history and symptoms you have given it can be something thing to do with cd mec or the servo.

If the problem is only associated with DAC, you can still use it as a cd transport. But based on the history and symptoms you have given it can be something thing to do with cd mec or the servo.
there are multitude of problems with the CDP and I dont see any viable solution now. Let me get back the CDP and will check if it can be auditioned with a DAC. Any suggestion on the latter?

there are multitude of problems with the CDP and I dont see any viable solution now. Let me get back the CDP and will check if it can be auditioned with a DAC. Any suggestion on the latter?

If it's not working with the digital out then your cd mechanism or servo or the transport needs to be checked.

It's not worth to re-solder any ic in my opinion. Look for the complete board as a spare or pullovers from total loss equipment.

Is that a KI model?

If it's not working with the digital out then your cd mechanism or servo or the transport needs to be checked.

It's not worth to re-solder any ic in my opinion. Look for the complete board as a spare or pullovers from total loss equipment.

Is that a KI model?
Its Marantz SA 7001. Its a very basic version of super audio cd

I guess IC is CPU of SA7001 and one need matching as it has to be pre programmed or some one need to program it when you get new units.Codes need to be matched ,else it can't work with other parts.DAC chip can be replaced easily as its controlled by external chip.You can check eBay or similar site to get matching IC.A good local technician may get matching IC from scrap too.
Before you give up, just try another guy.

I guess IC is CPU of SA7001 and one need matching as it has to be pre programmed or some one need to program it when you get new units.Codes need to be matched ,else it can't work with other parts.DAC chip can be replaced easily as its controlled by external chip.You can check eBay or similar site to get matching IC.A good local technician may get matching IC from scrap too.
Before you give up, just try another guy.
I called the service guy today morning to know the problem. He said the IC of DAC is to be replaced. He got the spare from Marantz factory but the code is not matching. He has sent back the IC and waiting for the correct one. However he to,d me that these IC are not readily available

I called the service guy today morning to know the problem. He said the IC of DAC is to be replaced. He got the spare from Marantz factory but the code is not matching. He has sent back the IC and waiting for the correct one. However he to,d me that these IC are not readily available
Which is that IC? part no?
Again l guess this IC is microcontroller of the DAC chip and not DAC itself unless the DAC is custom made by marantz.
Service manual of SA7001 can tell better.

Which is that IC? part no?
Again l guess this IC is microcontroller of the DAC chip and not DAC itself unless the DAC is custom made by marantz.
Service manual of SA7001 can tell better.

the DAC circuit is sort of proprietary item of Marantz ( i have seen the board and one side Marantz was mentioned). Its divided into identical halves for R/L. The chip in question is on the right side.

the DAC circuit is sort of proprietary item of Marantz ( i have seen the board and one side Marantz was mentioned). Its divided into identical halves for R/L. The chip in question is on the right side.
It uses CS4397 DAC chip.Is it dual mono design?

I have never observed Marantz using deltazigma chips in dual mono mode in their dac design.
Oh wow, How do you manage to do that? By physically opening each and every Marantz device or all that info is from the specs or something? I am in the stone age.

Forget this model repairs and buy new cd player. You are wasting your time repairing when you could be enjoying listening to music on a new cd player or buy another used one.
I appreciate your straight forward solution but there is something called emotional attachment. If I talk from a logical point then my new CDP might also end up being a junk within a few days.

The problem lies in after sales in India. Lot of business in high end audio system are mushrooming in every city and they spare no effort to sell the products with promise of repairing at one's doorstep but in reality we all know where we stand.

Back