Marantz SR6012 and Bluetooth

pushkarajd

Hi All,

I just very recently bought the Marantz SR6012 and am very happy with the purchase.

Have found out a very funny and strange (would not say a problem) but have not been able to fix this issue.

I own a Samsung Galaxy S8 and was trying to pair the phone via bluetooth to the receiver. The S8 simple does not find the receiver no matter what I do. Now I also own an iPhone 6S and this pop ups the receiver near instantly (the moment I switch on the bluetooth in the next 5 secs the receiver is displayed on the iPhone and I can play songs. Airplay over the iPhone too works flawlessly.

Have done the following things to fix the S8 and Marantz bluetooth connectivity issue:

1. Rebooted the phone many times.
2. Checked for firmware/software updates on S8 and the receiver many times, but both are showing that they have the latest updates installed.
3. Tried going very very close to the receiver (infact kept the phone on top of the receiver just in case the signals were weak)
4. "Phone visibility" option on S8 is enabled and it can detect other bluetooth devices but not the receiver
5. Switched off my wifi internet as I had read somewhere that wifi signals may interrupt the bluetooth connection, but that too didn't help.
6. Tried powering on/off the bluetooth in S8 and the receiver several times.

Anything else I should try? I am very much puzzled as my iPhone works flawlessly with bluetooth and Airplay, but its just the S8 which does not work.

Any suggestions what I should try next from experts here? I know bluetooth on the S8 and the receiver is working fine because I can connect my iPhone to the receiver without any issues and my S8 used to connect to my earlier Denon receiver without any issues and the S8 also connects to by UE Boom bluetooth speaker without any issues.

Simply speaking, the S8 does not show the receiver name in the bluetooth list at all.

Thanks.

Regards,

Pushkaraj

Hi All,

I just very recently bought the Marantz SR6012 and am very happy with the purchase.

Have found out a very funny and strange (would not say a problem) but have not been able to fix this issue.

I own a Samsung Galaxy S8 and was trying to pair the phone via bluetooth to the receiver. The S8 simple does not find the receiver no matter what I do. Now I also own an iPhone 6S and this pop ups the receiver near instantly (the moment I switch on the bluetooth in the next 5 secs the receiver is displayed on the iPhone and I can play songs. Airplay over the iPhone too works flawlessly.

Have done the following things to fix the S8 and Marantz bluetooth connectivity issue:

1. Rebooted the phone many times.
2. Checked for firmware/software updates on S8 and the receiver many times, but both are showing that they have the latest updates installed.
3. Tried going very very close to the receiver (infact kept the phone on top of the receiver just in case the signals were weak)
4. "Phone visibility" option on S8 is enabled and it can detect other bluetooth devices but not the receiver
5. Switched off my wifi internet as I had read somewhere that wifi signals may interrupt the bluetooth connection, but that too didn't help.
6. Tried powering on/off the bluetooth in S8 and the receiver several times.

Anything else I should try? I am very much puzzled as my iPhone works flawlessly with bluetooth and Airplay, but its just the S8 which does not work.

Any suggestions what I should try next from experts here? I know bluetooth on the S8 and the receiver is working fine because I can connect my iPhone to the receiver without any issues and my S8 used to connect to my earlier Denon receiver without any issues and the S8 also connects to by UE Boom bluetooth speaker without any issues.

Simply speaking, the S8 does not show the receiver name in the bluetooth list at all.

Thanks.

Regards,

Pushkaraj
Had a similar issue with my SR 7010 with iPhone 7 plus recently. Issue resolved when I paired it from AVR side since iPhone wasn't detecting. But I mostly use Airplay using a wifi which has better SQ and gives me the independence of carrying the mobile all over the house. The Bluetooth pairing process on Marantz is buggy in my opinion, I never had this problem with Denon x2200w.

Did you get them to pair first?
Select Bluetooth as source on AVR and try pairing from the AVR side. Keep the Bluetooth devices discoverable on S8.

True and agreed, but my iPhone is just 16 GB wherein I have very less space to store songs and hence was looking at the S8 since it has a large storage. I too prefer using Airplay for the same reasons you mentioned, but it's good to have this working too.

Also, my Marant too does not show the S8 so don't know what's happening here...

:sad:

IMHO AVRs are meant to deliver the purpose it was created for....Home Theatre decoding and playback with some joy also for music...

Wifi and Bluetooth are more of gimmicks added to boost sales and all brands do add such features ....steep competition.

There is never 100% guarantee that these features will work flawlessly....Apple products will work well as most AVRs focused on AirPlay etc....

Android phones are very unpredictable.....bluetooth fails at time even though you may have the latest software / firmware installed...

As per Audioholics website....someone connected the AVR through ethernet and checked for updates.....nothing actually got updated...but once he disconnected and tried bluetooth pairing....it worked.....

Strange, I never faced any such issue with my Marantz 1506 while connecting BT. Recently my friend tried to connect BT from his Samsung mobile, it's done in seconds. Probably some pairing issue from AVR, try after some time from AVR end..once again check gen settings of AVR and make sure S8 connects other BT devices like car audio etc. before try on AVR.

Also, my Marant too does not show the S8 so don't know what's happening here... :sad:

A near flagship AVR not detecting an other flagship mobile..

Have you tried thru wi-fi? Can make your life easier..

IMHO AVRs are meant to deliver the purpose it was created for....Home Theatre decoding and playback with some joy also for music...

Wifi and Bluetooth are more of gimmicks added to boost sales and all brands do add such features ....steep competition.

It is best to embrace the technology and give user's the choice whether to use it or not..

Leave bluetooth.. Why do you think wi-fi is gimmick ?

It is best to embrace the technology and give user's the choice whether to use it or not..

That is the reason i said IMHO..... i am sure there are quite a bunch who face challenges when using BlueTooth ....Wifi ...if the right bandwidth is not available along with its tech requirements, signals go for a toss...as for me...Sole intention to have an AVR is to decode where required and provide a theatre like experience in one's home when watching movies / concerts etc.

I do agree technology changes with time and most of us have no choice but to embrace it! It is a boon to some and a bane to some...

For those who have used these features flawlessly, good for them. As for me, i am quite happy with the SR6008 and its performance as an AVR given my busy weekly schedule and life...it serves my purpose...everyone has their take and taste..

A near flagship AVR not detecting an other flagship mobile..

Have you tried thru wi-fi? Can make your life easier..

How will I connect the AVR and S8 over wifi? Is there something that I am missing here?

Airplay works flawlessly.

Strange, I never faced any such issue with my Marantz 1506 while connecting BT. Recently my friend tried to connect BT from his Samsung mobile, it's done in seconds. Probably some pairing issue from AVR, try after some time from AVR end..once again check gen settings of AVR and make sure S8 connects other BT devices like car audio etc. before try on AVR.

Right, so this same S8 was connecting via bluetooth and Airplay (iphone) to a low end Denon 1200 that I was using till almost 10 days back.

To make things more strange this is the same AVR that is detecting on an iPhone i.e. on the iPhone, bluetooth and Airplay both work flawlessly! Strange! I am wondering " bluetooth compatibility issues"??

There is never 100% guarantee that these features will work flawlessly....Apple products will work well as most AVRs focused on AirPlay etc....

Android phones are very unpredictable.....bluetooth fails at time even though you may have the latest software / firmware installed...

As per Audioholics website....someone connected the AVR through ethernet and checked for updates.....nothing actually got updated...but once he disconnected and tried bluetooth pairing....it worked.....

I completely agree, but as I said it is good to have and use these features (you can say laziness) because a mobile phone is something that you carry with you everywhere (even in house rooms wherever you go) so it is just a very convenient way if I have to listen to the songs that I have stored on my phone.

That is the reason i said IMHO..... i am sure there are quite a bunch who face challenges when using BlueTooth ....Wifi ...if the right bandwidth is not available along with its tech requirements, signals go for a toss...as for me...Sole intention to have an AVR is to decode where required and provide a theatre like experience in one's home when watching movies / concerts etc.

I do agree technology changes with time and most of us have no choice but to embrace it! It is a boon to some and a bane to some...

For those who have used these features flawlessly, good for them. As for me, i am quite happy with the SR6008 and its performance as an AVR given my busy weekly schedule and life...it serves my purpose...everyone has their take and taste..

I understand.. But someone in the family (parents, siblings, spouse) who are unaware of these A/V things, can just play songs from mobile on to the AVR sitting in a sofa, infact control it thru wi-fi.. In that regard, it is a boon..

How will I connect the AVR and S8 over wifi? Is there something that I am missing here?

Airplay works flawlessly.

You will need Marantz official app from playstore, connect both to same network & then you are ready to go..

I understand.. But someone in the family (parents, siblings, spouse) who are unaware of these A/V things, can just play songs from mobile on to the AVR sitting in a sofa, infact control it thru wi-fi.. In that regard, it is a boon..

You will need Marantz official app from playstore, connect both to same network & then you are ready to go..

Oh ok. That sounds interesting. Let me try that. Will let you know. Thanks for this info.

Agree.....but again...some are skeptical to even touch or use expensive equipment...:eek:hyeah:

Solution in place for these folks.....portable chargable bluetooth speaker which is good enough for their ears...:lol:

I heard and read about the latest Marantz app getting enhanced and a facelift...perhaps it would resolve the challenge being faced by the FM...:)

Exactly use the marantz app that not only helps you control the AVR but also let you play music over wifi through the app

Exactly use the marantz app that not only helps you control the AVR but also let you play music over wifi through the app

I installed the Marantz app on my S8. Don't know what to say (maybe crap app) but it is not even detecting the receiver on wifi (it just detected only once), which means I cannot even control the AVR from this app. But the same app on iPhone works perfectly, detects the AVR without any issues and everything looks good.

I just played songs over Apple Airplay today for almost 4 hrs and no issues at all! But android? A BIG NO! Doesn't work. I was trying to get the android app working for almost 30 mins (changed from static to DHCP and vice-a-versa, but no luck) I think I will be giving up on this, unless anyone has any more ideas.

But I would like to thank each one here for their suggestions and their ideas to help me in resolving this issue.

I installed the Marantz app on my S8. Don't know what to say (maybe crap app) but it is not even detecting the receiver on wifi (it just detected only once), which means I cannot even control the AVR from this app. But the same app on iPhone works perfectly, detects the AVR without any issues and everything looks good.

I just played songs over Apple Airplay today for almost 4 hrs and no issues at all! But android? A BIG NO! Doesn't work. I was trying to get the android app working for almost 30 mins (changed from static to DHCP and vice-a-versa, but no luck) I think I will be giving up on this, unless anyone has any more ideas.

But I would like to thank each one here for their suggestions and their ideas to help me in resolving this issue.

ok do one thing try the denon app if that doesnt work then try this app https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=de.pskiwi.avrremote&hl=en

i am surprised that the wifi also has issue on the s8 try with another android phone if you have one

You are welcome...thats what we are here for...to help each other.....

Can you try a different android phone and check connectivity with the 6012?
Dunno if the S8 has an embargo over the 6012....better to check...

Last edited:

I had hard-wired (Ethernet) my Onkyo AVR and played music via Micromax Canvas 4 / Xolo Play 6x - 1000 Android mobile's and it did play well without any hiccups..

Don't think it is an issue with Android (or) app.. Check with an other android mobile..

Hi All,

As a last nail in the coffin, I had recently purchased a brand new samsung android phone for my mother (not a high end one, but a basic one which has almost all the bells and whistles of a flagship phone sans the price) and tried the bluetooth option, BUT again a BIG NO! This phone too failed to detect the AVR. So the only option left to test is a non-samsung android phone hoping that Samsung here is the culprit.

I will definitely try that option too, but currently we all are Apple users hence nobody in the family has another non-samsung android phone but as and when I do catch hold of someone who has a non-samsung android phone, I will try pairing it again with the AVR and will post the results here.

Meanwhile if someone who has recently bought the 6012, I would request them to check the bluetooth connectivity with their android phones (any brand) and post the results here.

Thank you all once again for all your time and efforts put here to troubleshoot the problem. At the bottom of my heart I still feel this is a samsung issue rather than the AVR.

Regards,

Pushkaraj

Hi All,

As a last nail in the coffin, I had recently purchased a brand new samsung android phone for my mother (not a high end one, but a basic one which has almost all the bells and whistles of a flagship phone sans the price) and tried the bluetooth option, BUT again a BIG NO! This phone too failed to detect the AVR. So the only option left to test is a non-samsung android phone hoping that Samsung here is the culprit.

I will definitely try that option too, but currently we all are Apple users hence nobody in the family has another non-samsung android phone but as and when I do catch hold of someone who has a non-samsung android phone, I will try pairing it again with the AVR and will post the results here.

Meanwhile if someone who has recently bought the 6012, I would request them to check the bluetooth connectivity with their android phones (any brand) and post the results here.

Thank you all once again for all your time and efforts put here to troubleshoot the problem. At the bottom of my heart I still feel this is a samsung issue rather than the AVR.

Regards,

Pushkaraj

Did you try wifi from your mothers phone ?

Also can you connect to the same wifi on which the marantz is connected. and then from a web browser on the phone connect to the ip of the avr. and see if that brings up the avrs web page .

Bluetooth may be sketchy but the wifi should work,

I have used both the denon and the marantz app interchangeably and they have both worked.

also where in mumbai are you ?

Join WhatsApp group to get HiFiMART.com Offers & Deals delivered to your smartphone!
Back