marantz with KEF Q300

canchi

Hi all,
Am now looking to set up a "limitted" home theatre in my bedroom. Room dimensions 14x15 feet.Listening to 70% music and 30% TV(movies). Looking to buy an amp with bookshelf speakers.Listen to Indian classical, Indian film music and english pop.Budget - 65k
Am zeroing in on marantz pm6004 with the KEF Q300. Have a 42'LED and a BDP already (see my signature).
Have auditioned the marantz amp and yamaha AS500 with the Tannoy Mercury V1 bookshelves ( at the HT store)> The speakers were good for the mid-ranges, bass was not great. The marantz brought out more detailing with the same speakers.
Need to audition the KEF Q300. Called Profx, they have the speakers but no marantz amps there. Where can I audition these two together? And for that matter the B&W 685s?

Unless you know someone with the amp its going to be hard to audition them together. Or the other option is to buy the speakers and audition them with various amps to see what works best.

I believe Marantz PM6004 and KEF Q300 is a good combo... based on what I've read on WhatHiFi and at other places. You might also want to check out Cambridge Audio as I believe its a good pairing with the KEFs.

you seriosly need to hear marantz and KEF before you buy

marantz and tannoy , or cambridge and KEF is one thing
marantz and KEF is another

i find the combination bright

thats why KEF pairs better with NADs arcams denons naims etc

Have you heard them together?

I was in half mind to order them (based solely on online reviews and user reviews). Have heard the Q100 (Q300 not available) at ProFX and did like the sound signature but I believe it was paired with the Yamaha or Denon (forget which).

Yes, I agree with you that I do need to audition them before buying.
You said you find the combo "bright" - obviously you have auditioned this combination? What music did you listen to at that time?

Unless you know someone with the amp its going to be hard to audition them together. Or the other option is to buy the speakers and audition them with various amps to see what works best.

I believe Marantz PM6004 and KEF Q300 is a good combo... based on what I've read on WhatHiFi and at other places. You might also want to check out Cambridge Audio as I believe its a good pairing with the KEFs.

Yes, its gonna be difficult to audition them!
So, people in Namma Bengaluru, do any of you have this combo to audition or at least the KEFs with any of the foll amps: marantz pm6004, 7003,7004 or such series, cambridge audio 650s or 550, arcam amps?
Thanks in advance.

i have heard a KEF UniQ( i think it iQ10 ) with a marantz with a client
i only hear vocals
i think i heard rebecca pidgeon and mary black

at pro FX you most likely heard the KEF with a Denon

Bump the thread! :eek:hyeah:
Anyone in Bangalore having this combo of Marantz amp with the KEFs?

Have finally bought the marantz pm6004 amp as well as the KEF Q300 bookshelves. QWill post pics later. Initial impressions were awesome mids and bass from the KEFs but so-so highs.....

I'm not surprised.

The tweeter internals are tiny =\

Kef+tweeter.jpg

Last edited:
Into the 5th Day with the marantz amp and the KEFs, the bookshelves are coming into their own. The highs that were quite muted initially are opening up and by god, how! Sweet sound indeed! So this is what burn-in does to the speakers. Funny, that didn't happen with my FS speakers, the paradigm monitor 9s - they sounded sweet from the word go.....

Sorry for bumping an old thread but I was specifically looking for first hand ownership experiences of this KEF Q300 + Marantz PM 6004 combo.

Do you find the combo very bright? Is the sound fatiguing on extended listening?

Would appreciate inputs here!

Hi

I brought Maratz CD6004 and PM6004 from "Star Audio & video Solutions" which Located at Austin town/Bangalore.

I too searching for speakers. I am looking your inputs on Wharfsdale 10.1 and Kef Q300.

Boyireddy

The initial burn-in period - The bass was overwhelming! But a wk later, things settled into sweet sweet sound :eek:hyeah:
I dont think the KEFs are too bright, have been listening to them for a long time now and enjoying the sound; all pleasure , no fatigue ;)

Hi

I brought Maratz CD6004 and PM6004 from "Star Audio & video Solutions" which Located at Austin town/Bangalore.

I too searching for speakers. I am looking your inputs on Wharfsdale 10.1 and Kef Q300.

Boyireddy

Do you mind to share the price?

Hi I got the below setup
1. Philips LCD 36"
2. Xtreamer Sidewinder 3
3. PS3
4. Marantz PM6004 (Japan made)
5. Q300
6. Dishtv DTH

The amp and speakers purchased on mid of October 2012 from 'audio people' and 'profx' chennai respectively, got decent 10% discount on MRP for both. It surprise me every day, on every aspect. This is one good combination for both Indian and English music, My recent purchase was Ghazal Masterpieces from Times Music and the feel is heavenly. May extend as 5.1 in few months. Refer the image for setup, I'm even watching blue ray movies with this and the sound experience is very decent. ImageUploadedByTapatalk1355526707.230286.jpg

Hi I got the below setup
1. Philips LCD 36"
2. Xtreamer Sidewinder 3
3. PS3
4. Marantz PM6004 (Japan made)
5. Q300
6. Dishtv DTH

]
Congrats on your set up. Why the rainbow colours in the pic?! Do consider speaker stands and you will be able to appreciate even better sound from the Q300s.

Wharfedale Linton Heritage Speakers in Walnut finish at a Special Offer Price. BUY now before the price increase.
Back