Massdrop X Hifiman HE4XX

PCA

I am considering buying Massdrop X Hifiman HE4XX for around 160 USD. Would be primarily using it to listen to FLAC files on my PC (Intel Core i3/ 8 GB RAM / Windows 10 Pro) using Foobar. My FLAC collection consists mostly of Indie, Alternative and Jazz.

Is a separate DAC and / or headphone amp a must? If yes, what would be a good suitable DAC cum headphone amp under a budget of Rs. 5000?

Thanks

I am considering buying Massdrop X Hifiman HE4XX for around 160 USD. Would be primarily using it to listen to FLAC files on my PC (Intel Core i3/ 8 GB RAM / Windows 10 Pro) using Foobar. My FLAC collection consists mostly of Indie, Alternative and Jazz.

Is a separate DAC and / or headphone amp a must? If yes, what would be a good suitable DAC cum headphone amp under a budget of Rs. 5000?

Thanks

Not a must, but certainly helps. Tried it on my ageing Alienware 13R2 (with Realtek HD onboard audio and Creative Soundblaster X-Fi Suite) and noticed that it can get reasonably loud. However, when tried with any external DAC/AMP sources I had (like m900 or DragonFly Red, or even the Fulla 2) the overall improvement in sound quality was quite substantial.

Not a must, but certainly helps. Tried it on my ageing Alienware 13R2 (with Realtek HD onboard audio and Creative Soundblaster X-Fi Suite) and noticed that it can get reasonably loud. However, when tried with any external DAC/AMP sources I had (like m900 or DragonFly Red, or even the Fulla 2) the overall improvement in sound quality was quite substantial.
Thank you. Any suggestions for DAC/AMP within or around my budget that might suit the HE4XX? I am open to going the pre-owned route as well

For pre-owned route I'd suggest you look up a facebook group called the Indian Audiphile Forum which primarily consists of headphone gear enthusiasts.

Thank you. Any suggestions for DAC/AMP within or around my budget that might suit the HE4XX? I am open to going the pre-owned route as well

Within your budget, and in my experience, perhaps a used Fulla 2 or DragonFly might be options you could consider. Good luck.

Within your budget, and in my experience, perhaps a used Fulla 2 or DragonFly might be options you could consider. Good luck.
Thank you. Any experience using a DragonFly black with your HE4XX? Asking cause a pre-owned DragonFly black would be closer to my budget, I feel. Don't think I am likely to find a Fulla 2 or DragonFly red / cobalt at that range.

DF black wont be able to drive he4xx properly, and SQ isnt that great either.. Check out SMSL idea or a used Geekout dac/amp..

Any thoughts on whether any of the budget DAC/Amp offerings from FIIO (E10K, Q1 Mark II, K3 etc.) would suit the HE4XX?

Given its a planar, it shines with proper power. Of course in your budget the options would be limited. Do check threads in head-fi to get an idea of tonality and what dacamps could have synergy. My suggestion would be to get some budget option like smsl or topping etc or some chifi offering for now and later get a upgrade. The FB group suggested above has lot of headphone enthusiasts who can probably provide to much more details.

Any thoughts on whether any of the budget DAC/Amp offerings from FIIO (E10K, Q1 Mark II, K3 etc.) would suit the HE4XX?
I had owned E10k long time back and that didnt had much power.. For planar headphones you need current which portable devices wont be able to provide, better to look for entry level desktop amps to drive them like Magni3, Atom etc.

I have a He4xx and even though it works well with low powered devices it does open up significantly with a proper source. I use a Aune B1 class A portable amp and this really drives the HP with a lot of control and punch.

I have a He4xx and even though it works well with low powered devices it does open up significantly with a proper source. I use a Aune B1 class A portable amp and this really drives the HP with a lot of control and punch.
Thank you. Aune B1 seems out of my budget

Thank you. Aune B1 seems out of my budget
I understand that but then its better to buy some other headphone that you can use to its full potential rather than buying a Headphone and not utilizing it to its full potential.

I understand that but then its better to buy some other headphone that you can use to its full potential rather than buying a Headphone and not utilizing it to its full potential.
Noted. The hope is to find a max 100 $ headphone DAC / AMP that can drive the 160 $ HE4XX to its full potential :)

Check out our special offers on Stereo Package & Bundles for all budget types.
Back