matching speakers for plinius 8150/9200

prakash

I request forum members' views with regard to matching speakers for plinius 8150 or plinius 9200 integrated amplifiers.

Thnx

Hi Prakash,
Dynaudio and plinius are sold by the same distributor and paired very often. In fact the plinius (at least the 9200) should drive most of the current lot of speakers with ease and to their potential.
Basically the point i am making is its a well built amp and u can opt for whatever speaker that appeals to u.
Rgds

Last edited:
As mentiuoned by Dinyar, Plinius typically can drive most speakers, they are also known to go very well with Totem speakers.
The old sonus fabers seem to be well matched too..

As mentiuoned by Dinyar, Plinius typically can drive most speakers, they are also known to go very well with Totem speakers.
The old sonus fabers seem to be well matched too..

Old Sonus Fabers ran on dynaudio drivers :). So I'm guessing there would be some similarity in their characteristics and impedance curve.

Since you are based in chennai you should give theil an audition.As it's distributor is based in chennai.
There can be many otions but it would help if you could throw some light on what kind of music do you normally listen? do you have a budget in mind?
All the best.
Cheers

Last edited:
I can probably answer this question on behalf of Prakash as I am aware of the background here. Its for a friend of his in Hyderabad and currently its paired with a Dynaudio Audience 72 and a Cyrus CD8se. Budget is slightly is close to 1.5lakhs I think. The music listened is almost entirely classic rock - jetro thull, david gilmore and so on all in 100's of CD's. The systems is placed in his bedroom of the rough size 12 X 12 feet.
Current observations are that he really likes his system. I don't think the power of question comes in here. Infact the volume is medium at best and mostly very low. The reason for the question here is, the potential of making it better assuming that the Dynaudio is the weakest link here by some margin.
Is that the case.

Yes. The audience series dynaudio speaker is the weak link here. I have some experience with this series. The 52, 42 and the 70. The plinius and cyrus deserves something far better.
You should be looking at bookshelf speakers for a room of this size.
Why dont you look at the Usher tiny dancer ? I am sure it will work with the plinius. The hyper revealing beryllium tweeter will certainly compliment the warm nature of the plinius.
The proac studio 1SC is another speaker I like in this price range especially for classic rock/Jazz.
http://www.proac-loudspeakers.com/1sc.php

Last edited:
My suggestion has exactly been the same Usher Be718 and he is thinking of it. Harbeths proved quite costly . So, just checking for other options.

Hmm..does he like the Dynaudio sound ? the usher is very different in presentation although there is no doubt on its performance

the plinius can drive any speaker so choice is easier or difficult depending on how you look at it :D..and the advice given on checking out the Thiel is worth considering although not sure of the price range !

for a 12X12 room bookshelves might be a better option and ideally those which are front ported or sealed box as you have more play in their placement.

So from an option point of view you have models from DYnaudio, Proac, Ushe, Monitor audio etc..

BTW there is a used Totem Forest available in Singapore
Audio Note Singapore Pte Ltd

the store is the dealer for Forest in Singapore and are very realiable folks. they are also familiar with international shipping as well as reduction of value for lower customs duty.

Totem and plinius are supposed to be a very good combination and you can look it up on the net. placement options may be limited but the result may be well worth the effort.

interestingly I had already suggested the very same totem forest option for another friend and they have contacted Audionote for buying that already.
I didn't suggest that for this friend because the room size is small and when he tested Proac 140 there was booming bass problem. So, mostly bookshelves are the options. I didn't suggest Usher for the very same reason as I found them quite revealing compared the Dyna's. So, not sure if they will be the best choice. Something in between like Proac bookshelves or Dynaudio Contour or PMC are other options I suppose. Monitor Audio and Dali were not for his liking.

I'm a dynaudio user on one of my set ups, haven't heard the usher or the totems.
But I would say that
1.Amphion argon 2 anniversary or
2. Pmc tb2i. may be a good choice.
I have heard them both recently i feel their sound fall under the category of revealling yet warm esp with the amp & the front end. The PMC i feel is a bit more musical while the amphion is on the neutral side.
All the best
Cheers.

interestingly I had already suggested the very same totem forest option for another friend and they have contacted Audionote for buying that already.
... Something in between like Proac bookshelves or Dynaudio Contour or PMC are other options I suppose. Monitor Audio and Dali were not for his liking.
:) thats a coincidence !

A totem Arro should be great for him ! its like a bookshelf and can be placed in corners and with the right reinforcement provides fantastic bass ! last time i heard it i was literally looking for the sub.

The Marantz PM7000N offers big, spacious and insightful sound, class-leading clarity and a solid streaming platform in a award winning package.
Back