Matching speakers for Rotel amp

balajeem

Hi All,

Stereo amp : Rotel RA12, 60W per channel.

Matching speakers : Hunt is on ..

Perfect Match - recommended in reviews B&W 685 book shelves
price is too high i.e. 60 K in India.

looking for something below 30K for good match with Rotel.

Rotel amp seems to be little on the bright side.

will Wharfedales diamond 12.1 be good match ?

any other options - Pls let me know , may go a little higher on budget say for exam ple another 5 k if needed.

want a good match though..

I like the Rotel amp , so don't want to change it anyways.

Music Genre : film music, ghazals, instrumentals, carnatic sometimes.

As Spirovious pointed out, Wharfedale diamonds are on the warmer side... I have used Diamond 9.2 for more than 2 yrs time.... They would be safe it....Make sure you audition them & decide...

Alternatively you can consider PSB Image B6 BS.. Approx 35K

thank you , will look out for psb's also - thought they are good with NAD as both the parent companies are same.

Rotel is a part of B&W group.
Rotel + B&W = Perfect combination.
Also try out for Q acoustics, Mission, PSB. Please audition before you choose.

thanks - B&W S2 - too pricey :-(, i.e. 60K.

Not sure about Wharfedale 121s though since 9.2s are no more sold

Hi Balajeem,

You may want to consider bookshelfs from Polk, KEF, Boston Acoustics which are good. If you are open to Towers, you can check out Jamo 400 / 600 series or Boston Acoustics A series. All these models will easily drive on a Rotel. There are ample videos over YouTube to assist you in deciding the best speakers within budget.

thank you, am interested on the best known match i.e. rotel + B&W , like that rotel + QAcoustics, rotel + Wharfedale 9.2 or 122 ,etc

Stereo amp : Rotel RA12, 60W per channel.

Matching speakers : Hunt is on ..

Rotel make good amps, and like any good amp, don't care what speakers they are connected to - except that the speakers need to be satisfied with 60wpc. Many are, some aren't.
So don't get hung up on matching to Rotel for anything other than power needs. Buy the speaker pair whose sound for the music you like, sounds good to you over an extended listening session, and which you can afford. Have the confidence to ignore the stated good matches - hifi magazines write these things for lack of anything else to write.
Don't get hung up on floor standers either. With a cheap but adequate pair of stands, you can get better stand mounts for the same money.

Last edited:
Rotel make good amps, and like any good amp, don't care what speakers they are connected to - except that the speakers need to be satisfied with 60wpc. Many are, some aren't.
So don't get hung up on matching to Rotel for anything other than power needs. Buy the speaker pair whose sound for the music you like, sounds good to you over an extended listening session, and which you can afford. Have the confidence to ignore the stated good matches - hifi magazines write these things for lack of anything else to write.
Don't get hung up on floor standers either. With a cheap but adequate pair of stands, you can get better stand mounts for the same money.

thank you and you have put some bold statements which might be debated as well :)

>> hifi magazines write these things for lack of anything else to write...

in general rotel ra12 amp by test seems to be rated at 70W/ch but the spec says only 60W, the bookshelves (Klipsch) that's used now can be driven comfortably by Rotel for that matter any bookshelf speaker.

thank you and you have put some bold statements which might be debated as well :)

>> hifi magazines write these things for lack of anything else to write...

in general rotel ra12 amp by test seems to be rated at 70W/ch but the spec says only 60W, the bookshelves (Klipsch) that's used now can be driven comfortably by Rotel for that matter any bookshelf speaker.
Debatable, yes, but see
http://www.hifivision.com/what-should-i-buy/51819-essentials-getting-yourself-good-music-home.html
if you have the time and want to know the basis for the statements.
Reputable brands - and Rotel is one - tend to be conservative on the spec sheet, so I am not surprised about the 70wpc.
Not any bookshelf can be driven by 70wpc, by the way, there are some like certain models of B&W or ATC as examples, that need more power than that to really sing.

Buy from India's official online dealer!
Back