• Hello and Welcome to HiFiVision.com - an online community for the home entertainment and tech enthusiasts!

If you would like to ask a question, participate in a discussion and view attachments please Register yourself.

Materials Used For Manufacture in Speaker Drivers...

Rega

moserw

I had a question popped whether Kevlar or Paper was better in another thread and while I did not know the answer it prompted me to do some reading on the subject. Here is a link that talks about/describes the various materials used in manufacture of speaker drivers...

Available at MATERIALS? used for SPEAKER production.

Kamal

Interesting & informative, thanks.
My 1979 vintage Enbee speakers use Mylar film domes mounted on doped pleated cloth suspension( imagine the spider of a speaker with a Mylar dome instead of the voice coil former), as midrange & tweeter drivers.
Still sound great after 30 years of regular use...

grubyhalo

I couldn't find them in the list but banana pulp and hemp are also used for the cones. I'd make a wild guess that the highs would be fantastic with the hemp...

moserw

Interesting & informative, thanks.
My 1979 vintage Enbee speakers use Mylar film domes mounted on doped pleated cloth suspension( imagine the spider of a speaker with a Mylar dome instead of the voice coil former), as midrange & tweeter drivers.
Still sound great after 30 years of regular use...

30 years! I'm impressed.

marsilians

I had a question popped whether Kevlar or Paper was better in another thread and while I did not know the answer it prompted me to do some reading on the subject. Here is a link that talks about/describes the various materials used in manufacture of speaker drivers...

Available at MATERIALS? used for SPEAKER production.

Its a common misconception that the material that the cone is made of affects sound. Its the properties of the cone that can be achieved when using these materials. When build properly, both these materials shoudl sound different - not better than one or the other.