May be lots of folks here have to learn basic etiquette here

Status
Not open for further replies.

newlash09

Hi all,
Good morning.

Am I the only one who feels, that many people who post here don't have basic courtesy. Most people wont open their thread with a greeting. And sound like they are entitled to replies by their mere presence here.

Had a number of private messages, which are one liners without greetings. And so short, like someone typed single handed at the traffic lights on taptalk. And after a answer that has to be lengthy, to make the point well understood. You dont get any acknowledgement of receipt, or understanding or thanks for the effort expended in replying with precious time, diverted from home & kids etc.

Thanks for reading.....

Hi,
Absolutely agree with everything in your post.
Which is one of the reasons I (and many others, apparently) no longer bother to reply to queries for help, for information, and only login to check the For Sale section. Common situations:
A sense of entitlement;
No acknowledgment;
No thanks.

The hard earned knowledge of group members is deemed to be a matter of right by some who think their presence here is sufficient for sharing.

Even messages sent as PMs remain unanswered. Strangely, even commercial transactions suffer the same fate. I once sold some media items to about a dozen different buyers, and only one of them bothered to reply to confirm having received the packages.

Oh well! Lack of good manners and basic courtesies seem to be symptomatic of our times and our fellow citizens.

Cheers!

Yes, it's happening too often. It's quite sad that help/advice is not even acknowledged at times, let alone being appreciated.
I had put up a similar thread some time back. Don't know if there is any improvement.

Hi G401fan....

Thanks for sharing your experiences. Glad to know that iam not the only one who feels put down by a lack of courtesy. The bane of our times probably :)

Fondly hope there is some positive outcome if folks read this thread.

Hi all,
Good morning.

Am I the only one who feels, that many people who post here don't have basic courtesy. Most people wont open their thread with a greeting. And sound like they are entitled to replies by their mere presence here.

Had a number of private messages, which are one liners without greetings. And so short, like someone typed single handed at the traffic lights on taptalk. And after a answer that has to be lengthy, to make the point well understood. You dont get any acknowledgement of receipt, or understanding or thanks for the effort expended in replying with precious time, diverted from home & kids etc.

Thanks for reading.....

As someone who mostly reads and only replies on a post where I can help, I want to be the first to apologise. There are many people such as myself who don't have much time to spare for pleasantries. That does not mean a lack of etiquette, it just means we don't have time. Similarly I don't expect someone to present me with pleasantries, I imagine everyone is busy! just chill! :p

So I apologise to anyone I may have upset without greetings and thanks! :licklips:

Hi Corelement....

Your point is well understood. And may be acceptable in certain situations. Though on some replies, Iam sure you will agree that the respective forum member had spent some time to research and reply the posted query.

So it will be natural to expect that acknowledgement. If someone is busy they can thank at leisure :)

But anyways no hard feelings. Just that in my opinion, typing 2 additional lines to be courteous is not going to take up too much time, in comparison to the query being posted. We just have to be conscious to sound courteous :)

Thanks....

Most of you are right and i too face the same....manners yes is known by all but exhibited by few...this could be a variety of reasons...time is the enemy....

latest trend i see is that some members just join to get free advice...no thanks...and they dont contribute to any information or knowledge share....

this has created a severe bad impression on new and old members...i recall making an attempt to answer someones query where there has been over 300 views and not a single response....

I too am honestly tied up and seldom get the actual time to revert back or specially help out....i get a lot of PMs for advice etc which i respond....after that....no thanks button or anything from most....but there are few who really acknowledge with honesty

The fact is courtesy, being grateful, humility... are all phasing out/non-existent.

We took those bit seriously & inculcated then. Very natural to feel bad when they are absent around us.

We just need to be part of the evolution to be at peace i.e. in the cycle of unlearn, learn.. and not stick to what we have learnt so far. We can teach/train our very very close ones, at the most, expecting it to be passed on & totally ignore the thought of going beyond it, with utter disdain.

Last edited:
I beg to differ a bit here ; I'm seeing the basic etiquette in day to day real life interactions has been gradually denigrating slowly. So I don't find it surprising that its absent on a faceless virtual mode of interaction. The problem is with our expectations and ability to adapt to a changing scenario. Though I follow those etiquettes to the best of my ability ; but I understand the fact that expecting the same from every person I interact with is like expecting Tiger to not eat me because I'm a vegetarian.

Second aspect is Mobile OS is the most popular way nowadays and the luxury of typing from a laptop or workstation is almost not there, we really don't know from where the person is replying, what's his stress factor, time available etc.. We may be wrong in expecting such a person to follow the due formalities. So just help them whatever in your capacity and be done with it ; don't expect anything in return, not even thank note.

Thirdly I'm not happy with omissions of certain practical set of rules which everyone should follow before posting.
1. Suggestion seekers don't mention basic required info for anybody to help them decisively. Forum admins should make a proper TEMPLATE to be filled with all the necessary data. Like speakers suggestions threads missing Room dimensions, other hardware the person owns, type of media he listens to etc. What's more many a times the intended Budget itself will be missed in the suggestions seeking thread.

2. For sale threads missing more vital details as exact Model number, Location of the item, exact ownership history ; which should be Mandatory before approving a thread in market section. I know moderators are busy people so again the solution is making a proper TEMPLATE for each section and mandatory filling of all fields must be emphasized.

So rather than focusing on controversial topic like etiquettes, we should emphasize on filling Practically important details completely by Mandating a Template filling.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hi!
I'm personally a stickler for such etiquette, but abbreviated greetings and communication are really a reflection of the current culture. It is not uncommon to get an email that reads "FYI...PFA" or responding to a message with a 'Like' or 'Thumbs up' emoticon rather than type 'I really loved that!'. In personal interactions, the one communicating like this can be a very well mannered person, but the age of whatsapp, twitter, facebook have somehow altered the way people communicate even on a serious topic. The facility to access forums through apps like Tapatalk have furthered this practice. Language barriers also exacerbate this problem. Therefore, I think we should not take offence at the way people communicate in posts.... just accept it and address the content of the post.
Moreover, none of us are experts here, each has his own set of experiences, some more than others. To share and to learn. In responding to posts seeking advice, we often ourselves learn.
Cheers!

PS: At one time, I used to be annoyed with people ending their communication with 'Cheers!'. C'mon, we are not opening a bottle of champagne here. I used to say 'With kind regards' or 'With warm regards'. But the world is changing for an old fart like me.

May be lots of folks here have to learn basic etiquette here

Maybe (the folks you are talking of) do not have it... blame it on their genes, their upbringing, maybe their crass upbringing, or the friends they have.

Some people are just like that... very rude and crass. And they explain their behavior with an "I'm like that only, the people who know me know my heart".

Have had a couple of run ins with such folks... better to give them a wide berth.

And if it irks you that people don't say thank you for your time and troubles, then make it a point to not answer their queries in the future. I see many like that... endless line of questions, but they don't even have the common courtesy to hit the thank you button. Nothing much can be done about suck folks than giving them the miss.

I've also noticed that people will just say thanks but they won't push the Thanks button or maybe they don't know it's there. But I don't mind coz I don't have time to think that much and I don't help people with expectations of THANKS so it's fine by me. Peace.

Last edited:
I think it's the nature of this new way of communicating where things are different, compared to meeting someone in person where behaviour might change. This forum is much more civilized (imo) than quite a few where responding with profanities is much more common.

Sent from my SM-A910F using Tapatalk

Hello Everyone,

My Question is are we helping because we need to be acknowledged either by way of thanks or by hitting the thanks button ?

There maybe many reasons that a person could be doing or behaving the way they are behaving and who are we to judge that.

As long as someone doesn't abuse you we should live and let live.

I would put this as social service and we do not help because we are trying to clear our own bad karma or that we want thanks in return. but more to hoping that someone may benefit from the advice.

If indeed someone responds back its good if they don't Should we stop helping ?

Pleasantries even the AI via siri or alexa or ok google dont share ( have you heard them say Good morning " Your name " etc etc ?

If we as a person are courteous etc why should we change because the world around us is not ? we should still continue irrespective of that.

Suggestions or advice will be on the forum and may help someone other than the OP who could have vanished or not put up a thanks etc. A good deed never goes to waste.

Having said that i have encountered people who will talk of pleasantries etc but are rude when their mood suits them what do you call these people ?

So in the end again if we are people with manners, basic etiquette etc we should stick to the regime. sooner or later more people will follow suit and for the ones that don't umm.... its their problem.
Thanks and have a good day.

Interesting discussion here. Personally I have benefited from the wealth of expertise available here with the members. Besides audio , I have queried on and received authoritative information on topics as diverse as ayurvedic massages , stents and Ubuntu.
Off course even from a very utilitarian angle , it is good policy to be polite , sincere and grateful.
Apart from getting help with ones queries it makes this forum a pleasant place to spend some quality time online.

Hi Manohar, All the points you have mentioned are true. I understand this is an old thread, but thought it might be relevant even today. This forum has some exceptional members who do spend a lot of their time and energy to help and educate others, but there are also bad apples, as with everything in life. As another FM mentioned, it could be a sense of entitlement, arrogance and in some cases this must be due to their freeloading mentality. Nothing can be done, but as FM @moktan mentioned, I too have benefited a lot by the discussions here, due the presence of the kind folks here, so overall I'm very happy :)

On freeloading:
Every year I visit my sister who stays in Vancouver. During my first visit, I had noticed this little library near her place.

Screenshot 2019-08-14 at 7.50.59 PM.png

Being a bibliophile myself, my interest was piqued. She said that this is a non profit organization called Little free library which promotes neighborhood book sharing for free. Anyone can start a library, and anyone can take/add the books. There is no obligation of replacing the books. This is meant to make reading more accessible to readers of all ages. I noticed that there were some pretty good books, some rare editions of literature as well donated by kind folks who had already read them. Every time I'm there, I see that the choice of books are different, never have I observed it to be empty. This is a very interesting aspect that we all can learn :)
I wanted to start one here, but since I live on the outskirts of the city English books that I own (mostly literature and classics) won't be of any use. Perhaps starting another in Vancouver will be a better idea.

Last edited:
Greeting people at the start of a thread is a new one for me. Maybe for your intro post, but certainly not as part of every forum post. It is certainly not part of forum etiquette elsewhere. I would certainly not appreciate every forum post being evaluated by letter writing standards. That format had a purpose, and that purpose does not exist any more.

Regarding short questions and pm's - nobody is entitled to an answer. if you feel the original poster has not put in sufficient effort to merit a proper response - correct or ignore them. Trying to accommodate such folks is the slippery slope which ends up with everyone adopting it. On the other hand, be aware that there is a whole generation of people who have not written and english-1 paper in their life, or may have grown up on whatsapp.

Unsolicited PM spam - thats another menace. Just ignore them.

I ignore most people who start off a pm or a thread with "kitne ka liya". Typical Indian mentality. Why ask? Are you going to buy what I bought? Or do you just want to know the price because ... ? I don't reply. Cause I know most of the times, time pass chalu hai.

Last edited by a moderator:
Sad part - There are cases New FM does not know the ppl behind the suggestions given and the experience he is referring to the topic.
New FM presume that more messages they drop in the Hfv they (he himself) are superior and knowledgeable inturn adament in thier justifications with bad comments ,which he edits/ withdrawn that comments after seeing the opponent Signature.:cool:
Still that matured is supporting to the new FM (Well known member cos of more messages) for his queries as such he don't know anything about the comments which he withdrawn in previous case.;)

PS - Known is drop unknown is ocean.
imho. Hfv is learning platform for everyone. Everybody is here to learn something and looking for opportunity to learn and dropping few messages as suggestion on the way to hifi journey.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Get the Wharfedale EVO 4.2 3-Way Standmount Speakers at a Special Offer Price.
Back