Media Player or Bluray Player? What is the best choice?

just4kix

Media Player or Bluray Player? What is the best choice?

Many people have been asking this question on various threads. At the outset, let me be forthright in stating that I am no exxpert at either. Whatever, I am penning down here is based on common sense, a lot of information from the web and some (paltry) experience. I do not own a media player and unlikely to own one in near future but I have good experience with DVDPs and BDPs.

When would you choose a Digital Media Player (DMP)?
The answer would be obvious, isn't it? If you have a lot of AV content in the form of digital (or computer) files, then a DMP is the obvious choice for you. A DMP can play a plethora of AV files with ease. A DMP can connect to an external disc (HDD) or have it built-in. The built-in disc DMP can allow connection to additional external HDD. Most DMPs have have wireless capability. With this the DMP can become a Network Attached Storage (NAS) and stream the AV data over the network. The DMP is very easy to handle - transfer files to HDD (external or built-in), wire-up and power-up and you are all set to go.

While choosing a DMP, you should consider the following characteristics:
  • Navigation: Finding files and other navigations should be very simple and easy. Look at the DMP's software, GUI and other details. Select the one that a 6 year old can operate.
  • Convenience: You should be able to search the movie or music file with all the ease and convenience.
The advantages of DMP are many:
  • Simple
  • Convenient
  • Flexible
  • Safe and Secure
CDs or DVDs (and perhaps BDs too) do not remain long in good condition. They can be damaged by any accident or mishandling, or may get lost, or the quality of movie print on CD or DVD deteriorates over time. No such problems ever exist in digital media player. Whatever is stored, will remain in perfect conditions for much longer period of time. Just store the files and forget about its safety or security.

When would you choose a BDP?
If you have a lot of DVDs and BDs, then a BDP is a better option. Note that BDP can also double up as a media player - all you have to do is connect your HDD to the BDP. Nevetheless, a BDP is primarily a disc player.

So the question one may ask is why not have a BDP instead of a DMP?
Please note that I am not advocating either one in preference over other. While a BDP can double up as a media player also, there will be some limitations.
  • You will not get the wonderful GUI and ease of navigation as with the DMP.
  • A BDP may not be able to able to play all kinds of files or may have trouble with subtitles, etc.
  • If a DMP is not able to play a file, a codec may be missing which is very easy to add.
But a DMP will never be able to play a disc unless you take the trouble of converting the disc content to digital media. So here is where BDP is imperitive. And everyone must agree, for all the convenience and flexibility of a DMP, there is no simpler way of playing media on disc: open the tray, pop-in the disc, close the tray (autoplay starts) and "Bob's your uncle".

Also, Agreeing to the same point.
Media Player's a clear winner for it interface response.
Another Thing, while BDP's can double up as a media player, they still lack the feel of a standalone device catering the need. Also, 90% BDP's are region locked, in that case, Playing Some DVD's and Blu Ray's is a big issue, considering Blu-Ray's are out-of-budget for most people. The Things I dont particularly like about Media Players, is in fact their odd design(O-Play Mini, Flash TV, Theater+) and their design comparison to Blu-Ray's. However I strongly feel, that BDP's can cater to 85-90% of the routing A/V needs.

A DVD or DB drive can be added to most media players later. In this case the player works just like any other disk player. Only problem is that for Blu-Ray disks they will show a lite menu instead of java based menu.

A DVD or DB drive can be added to most media players later. In this case the player works just like any other disk player. Only problem is that for Blu-Ray disks they will show a lite menu instead of java based menu.

I believe that BD menus are java based. I could be wrong.

Sent from my GT-I9100G using Tapatalk 2

Also, Agreeing to the same point.
Media Player's a clear winner for it interface response.
Another Thing, while BDP's can double up as a media player, they still lack the feel of a standalone device catering the need. Also, 90% BDP's are region locked, in that case, Playing Some DVD's and Blu Ray's is a big issue, considering Blu-Ray's are out-of-budget for most people. The Things I dont particularly like about Media Players, is in fact their odd design(O-Play Mini, Flash TV, Theater+) and their design comparison to Blu-Ray's. However I strongly feel, that BDP's can cater to 85-90% of the routing A/V needs.

BD and DVD region coding, etc. is out of context really.

Another great thread Just4kix,

I guess something like a Dune Max or Duo is the best solution.

But then it is expensive.

Vinod

Another great thread Just4kix,

I guess something like a Dune Max or Duo is the best solution.

But then it is expensive.

Vinod

I wouldn't like to get into which is better model as I have no experience. :eek:

The Marantz PM7000N offers big, spacious and insightful sound, class-leading clarity and a solid streaming platform in a award winning package.
Back