Media Player or Stereo Amplifier

blackhorn

Hello all,

most of my audio collection is on a HDD, and i need to determine what i need to do in order to use it in a manner intended

i have a pair of bpl t1000 speakers, i also have the original bpl sanyo d1000 amplifier and cd player, but the main unit is malfunctioning, the push buttons don't respond, and the remote only seems to be good at turning it on and off and switching sources, the remote is fine, i had taken it to BPL before and they told me that the IC in the main unit had gone bad, which meant i could not even adjust the volume through the remote, pursuing the BPL service centers yielded nothing and seems to be a dead end, if someone could advise me as to where i can find a reliable repair center where this can be possibly fixed in delhi, please do let me know

as of now, i am using a CUBETEK media player to play media/audio files from my HDD, most of my collection is in FLAC, its connected to my LG 42LS4600 and via toslink connected to a Fiio D03K(DAC) and the analog signal is fed to a woodstock AW602 which powers the t1000 towers(they are rate at 75w rms if memory serves me right)

as of now, i need the following
~volume control via remote
~source switching via remote
~ability to play audio from the HDD in a wide range of formats(FLAC,ALAC, MP3)

my question is, is better to invest in a stereo amplifier which can play audio through USB or is better to invest in a good media player(in which case, source switching/volume control via remote would still not be possible unless i guess the BPL amplifier fixed)

any help or advice would be highly appreciated,
thanks

Last edited:
Sorry to say but as far as consumers electronic is concerned BPL is dead and gone. Look out for a used AVR in good working order if budget is a constrain.

Hi Blackhorn,
For us to help you better you have to tell us what budget you're looking at??
From what I see you have the option of going for a media player and an integrated amplifier
you already have the media player so you can use the Toslink to the integrated and you will have the control of volume, source switching with you...... a good integrated with decent DAC on board is Peachtree deco.. again it all depends on your budget..

blackhorn, what is the impedance of the speakers? The problem with going with separate amplifiers if you intend to use the same speakers will be matching. So which ever amplifier you decide to audition must be coupled with your speakers if all other specs are compatible.

But I agree with others that unless you specify your budget it will be difficult to suggest options.

From your situation it looks like you will need a stereo amp with speaker along with a media player or at best a usb enabled network stereo receiver which would be costly though.

EDIT: If your amplifier and speaker is working fine may be you can buy a separate CD Player or a DVD player that has USB reading capability with your amp and then use the rest of them through remotes.

Last edited:
I am updating this thread relatively late, but after auditioning a couple of amps and I finally settled on my connectivity options, as of now, my source is a HTPC Techsolo TC-2200 Media Player, DAC used is Arcam Irdac, Amp is Exposure 2010s2 and they are powering the towers. Thanks for all the help, Ive got all the connectivity options I wanted and a beautiful soundstage. Thanks to all members who replied.

For excellent sound that won't break the bank, the 5 Star Award Winning Wharfedale Diamond 12.1 Bookshelf Speakers is the one to consider!
Back