Media Player Shootout! (Detailed Comparison Table on Page 2)

Media Player Shootout!

• Total voters

WHATSINANAME

Just thought it's time to take a poll on which media streamer people are buying most in India.

Vote in the poll, and if you like, post your reasons why you went for it and what are the pros and cons of your choice.

Let the Shootout begin!

xT Pro:

These points influenced me to buy xT Pro:

Better Price, 2-Bay total 4 TB internal capacity ( 2 X 2TB) , eSATA, HD-Audio, Capability to play AVCHD Lite, Free eSATA & HDMI cable

Check out the new Apple TV , 99$

Does it have USB?
DTS HD-MA support?
MKV ,Divx and Flac plabality?
Nowhere it is mentioned.

I do not think renting movies in india is possible. and are these movies are equivalant to 1080 P DTS rips?

Check out the new Apple TV , 99$

From
Apple bets again on Apple TV : Play Things

Apple Inc had placed its bet again on its Apple TV with Steve Jobs launching the second generation variation. One-fourth of the earlier device, it now comes with features like HDMI and digital audio outputs. Also, Ethernet and 802.11n WiFi and will offer rental fron iTunes store.
The new device relies mainly on live streaming content, so it doesnt have any internal storage. You can only rent, not buy media from the iTunes store. First-run HD movies can be rented for $4.99 on the day the DVD is released. Renting HD TV shows will cost $.99.
Initially at launch, only ABC and Fox will provide HD shows on rent.
Apple today announced the new Apple TV which offers the simplest way to watch your favorite HD movies and TV shows on your HD TV for the breakthrough price of just $99. Apple TV users can choose from the largest online selection of HD movies to rent, including first run movies for just $4.99, and the largest online selection of HD TV show episodes to rent from ABC, ABC Family, Fox, Disney Channel and BBC America for just 99 cents, said the Apple Inc press release.

You can stream content from YouTUbe, Flickr, MobileMe and Netflix. Users can rent Netflixs streaming services on a DVD rental plan at $8.99 or more.
Another feature lets you stream music, photos and videos from PCs and Macs to the HD TV. Also, enjoy great slideshows in HD quality with Apple TVs in-built slideshow feature.
Other things include a HDMI port, WiFi, Ethernet and internal power supply for easy set-up. The highlight of the keynote is launch of revamped AirTunes as AirPlay, which lets you stream all your content from an iOS device to an Apple TV.
----------

So contatent can be streamed over wifi?
Where is format support ..No USB?

Playon HD is on priority on my list of items to buy. Waiting for a group buy to be initiated in mumbai just like our fellow forum members are conducting in bangalore.

Does it have USB?
DTS HD-MA support?
MKV ,Divx and Flac plabality?

So contatent can be streamed over wifi?
Where is format support ..No USB?

I don't think Apple products sell on the basis of things like 'widest format support' 'universal playablility' 'widest range of features' etc. They sell on the basis of 'coolest gadgets in the world' 'rock solid build' and 'so easy to use even my 96-year old great-grandma has one' factors.

Apple does not products that conform to the rest of the world, they make products that make the rest of the world conform to them! And so far the world has taken the 'bite!' A couple of things are surprising, though. One is the $99 price and the other is that they are allowing online stores other than iTunes to stream content to it!

Playon HD is on priority on my list of items to buy. Waiting for a group buy to be initiated in mumbai just like our fellow forum members are conducting in bangalore.

Hi You can join the group in bangalore for purchase of Playon HD.
I am located in Kerala. These guys will ship the product to ur place. Moreover aquatronics has an office in mumbai. So u could purchase it there and avail the discount of the group buy.

i have been using xtreamer for a long time now and i am happy with the product and performance.

I don't think Apple products sell on the basis of things like 'widest format support' 'universal playablility' 'widest range of features' etc. They sell on the basis of 'coolest gadgets in the world' 'rock solid build' and 'so easy to use even my 96-year old great-grandma has one' factors.

Apple does not products that conform to the rest of the world, they make products that make the rest of the world conform to them! And so far the world has taken the 'bite!' A couple of things are surprising, though. One is the $99 price and the other is that they are allowing online stores other than iTunes to stream content to it!

So you say in India ( I am talking about our market ) these shows will be availabe?

"The new device relies mainly on live streaming content, so it doesnt have any internal storage. You can only rent, not buy media from the iTunes store. First-run HD movies can be rented for $4.99 on the day the DVD is released. Renting HD TV shows will cost $.99.
Initially at launch, only ABC and Fox will provide HD shows on rent."

And Indians will buy it?:eek:hyeah:

Also what if i have movies in MKV format with DTS HD-MA ???How we can stream it?

So you say in India ( I am talking about our market ) these shows will be availabe?

I am not talking about it from an Indian market perspective at all. I am talking about what sells Apple products generally. If you remember the original poster had just posted news about the new Apple TV being announced by Steve Jobs. An Indian launch is not even on the horizon.

"The new device relies mainly on live streaming content, so it doesnt have any internal storage. You can only rent, not buy media from the iTunes store. First-run HD movies can be rented for $4.99 on the day the DVD is released. Renting HD TV shows will cost $.99.
Initially at launch, only ABC and Fox will provide HD shows on rent."

And Indians will buy it?:eek:hyeah:

Also what if i have movies in MKV format with DTS HD-MA ???How we can stream it?

Bro, you've missed the point completely. I am merely saying that people who will buy an Apple TV will not buy it because it plays more formats than say a POHD. They will buy it because it is 'cooler' than a POHD!

I am not trying to defend/advocate Apple TV!! How on earth did you get that impression?!! I have never owned any Apple product in my life!!

Last edited:
Poll Position as on 4th Sept
4thsep.jpg

Well, early stages yet in deciding India's favorite media player, but a pattern has begun to emerge. WDTV has been holding the leader's position right from the beginning, with xtreamer following hot on its heels. Playon was in the hunt initially, running neck and neck with the top two, but has lately begun to fall behind.

The others, I'm afraid, with the way things are going will, in poll-speak, probably forfeit their deposit.

These results are not unexpected given that the top three in the poll are the ones about whom most queries are asked, the ones that get most discussed and also the ones about whom most owner-reviews are posted, on this and other Indian forums.

So is it a title fight between WDTV, the champion, and Xtreamer, the contender? I think what puts Xtreamer and Playon at a disadvantage vis a vis WDTV is that they don't have a dealer and service network to speak of, and their products have to be bought sight-unseen outside of their home cities. Plus WDTV does have the first-mover advantage.

The others, like Asus, Seagate and Iomega in spite of not being essentially one-man operations like Xtreamer and AC Ryan, still can't make a place for themselves in the market. AND they have bigger and more known brand names behind them too!

The reason why Popcorn and Dune don't make a mark is obvious - too expensive for a product that is still in the early-adoption stages of its life-cycle!

But apart from dealer/distribution and availability factors, what is still open to debate is which is the best player, feature-wise. Do WDTV/Xtreamer score heavily over the others here, too? Only experts or people who own/have seen more than just one of these players in action can answer that.

So, let's see if these positions change or remain the same, and hope there will be a few surprises!

Last edited:
I cant vote as i am new to this. I'd like to get a hd media player for accessing music easily without need for a monitor/tv interface? which is the best one for this purpose?

I cant vote as i am new to this. I'd like to get a hd media player for accessing music easily without need for a monitor/tv interface? which is the best one for this purpose?

You'd want a media player that has an inbuilt LCD screen.

HDI Dune and Popcorn Hour are two options available in India with a screen that negates the necessity of switching on your TV to access music. But these are both priced a bit on the higher side (around 40K, I think).

1281703510_dune_hd_smart_d1_front_800x400.jpg

popcorn_hour_c_200.jpg

Another option is the TViX players, which are just a little more affordable.

proimg_6600.jpg

Hi all,
Here is a detailed comparison table of all the media players that are available in India now, or will be soon.

Hope this will be of some help to all the prospective buyers out there.

mpcomparobywhatsinaname.jpg

Data source ~ iboum

Last edited:
Poll Position as on 4th Sept
4thsep.jpg

Well, early stages yet in deciding India's favorite media player,

India's favorite media player.......................????

What is this?
I mean are you taking HFV as Indias represenatative sample?
BTW half of the media player owners may be still thinking of voting.

BTW are you doing MBA or just finished that?:eek:hyeah::eek:hyeah::eek:hyeah:

Never run to conclusions ,and by the way I know many videophiles and owners who are not there on HFV...

Wharfedale Linton Heritage Speakers in Red Mahogany finish at a Special Offer Price. BUY now before the price increase.
Back