Media Player with best picture quality

pseudophile

Hi all,

I want to buy a media player and would like some help to decide on it. My sole criteria would be a good picture quality.

Dont care much about the netwrking functions or the sound. But it should be able to reproduce the best picture quality. (best upscaling ability)

Can ppl who have compared more than one media player please suggests?

My budget is 15K

Thanks.

Last edited:
Hi all,

I want to buy a media player and would like some help to decide on it. My sole criteria would be a good picture quality.

Dont care much about the netwrking functions or the sound. But it should be able to reproduce the best picture quality. (best upscaling ability)

Can ppl who have compared more than one media player please suggests?

My budget is 15K

Thanks.

Which is better? The XBox360 or PS3? There's no single answer.. each have their own fan boys.. similarly for anything :)

In my opinion, without a doubt the AC Ryan PlayOn HD player. You can install an internal HDD inside it, and it even downloads torrents *cough* of Linux etc also if needed. And it has support for a variety of formats..

WD TV Live! is very portable and you can connect external HDDs..

Xtreamer is also popular on this forum...

Last edited:
wrt media player, I think PQ depends upon the quality of the source and the display.
I have gone through quite a few media player reviews and none of them say about any player that its PQ is better than another. So they should be more or less the same, criteria should be the number of formats supported.

However I don't know if any media player has internal settings to adjust PQ from the player (like most DVD players have). Experts please let us know if any HD media players have this feature.

So in that case it does not matter which chipset the player has?

Sigma and realtek both reproduce the same quality of picture?

As per my experience, it does not matter a lot in day today life.. I have seen average quality video from average source where as same player shows awesome quality from HD source. There are so many chips Sigma, realtek, mediatek, Faroudja, Silicon, Anchor Bay to name few. Its practically difficult to compare all and everyone has own flavour. I would say good quality Tvs also do a better upscaling job. So dont worry too much.

As per my experience, it does not matter a lot in day today life.. I have seen average quality video from average source where as same player shows awesome quality from HD source. There are so many chips Sigma, realtek, mediatek, Faroudja, Silicon, Anchor Bay to name few. Its practically difficult to compare all and everyone has own flavour. I would say good quality Tvs also do a better upscaling job. So dont worry too much.

I think you are correct. My plasma TV has a good upscalar, and it's easy to spot the difference. The upscalars of cheap dvd players are no good. High range AVRs do have some good upscaling.

Mate, i am a owner of AC Ryan POHD bought in the group buy on this forum. The video leaves nothing to want for but the audio does. The players do not pass through HD audio as claimed on the website.....this is a serious shortcoming if you have an AVR & content with HD audio coded.

AC Ryan's Playon HD media player.

Against which product you tested?
How you are so sure?
Which basic test methodology u used?
Was the display same with same settings??
Which display was that?
So you collected a number of players and conducted the test ..wow??

Between the Xtreamer, WDTV and PS3 Slim, in upscaling and general image quality the PS3 wins by a mile. The Xtreamer is just a wee bit better than WDTV.

Folks, I'm not sure what to decide, I'm in the hunt for a good player which gives me v good PQ / SQ.

I own a 42" Plasma from Pana & I have a Samsung DVD player which is connected to my other 26" Samsung Flat TV...

I would need something for my Plasma now, I'm wondering I buy the Media Player or blu ray player? Most of my existing collection is both in DVD's & on the laptop & a portable external hard disk, 320GB from WD.
I'm pretty novice when it comes to difft file formats, but when i went thru all these threads I found out that .mkv files are the ones which comes/riped from blu rays, so ideally if I have any movie from this file format I would need a player (Media or Bluray) which would play them so basically, if I buy a bluray player then I would have to buy/rent/borrow :) blurays from a source...but if I buy the media player, i can then download/borrow movies & play it.
However I own an Acer laptop but i'm not sure if it is safe to download movies, all my movie collecn on the laptop is given by my cousin..

Appreciate if you tell me a good option to decide, I'm planning to buy before Deepavali :)

My budget should be less than 12K

Thanks

Last edited:
All mkv s need not neccessarily be BR rips. They give very good compression quality ratio and hence are preferred by rippers for BR rips.
Media player will definitely play these. Some of the BR players will also play them.
I am not too sure though if you can get one such player for 12k.
Looking at your requirements I would advise you to go for a media player rather than a BR player.

@crn12,
i have seagate theater+ media player n it plays all the formate from mkv to mov,real media to divx n upscale to 1080p with amazing quality, u can consider that media player as well n it's not costly as well i got this in delhi at 5150/ only :)

Folks, I'm not sure what to decide, I'm in the hunt for a good player which gives me v good PQ / SQ.

I own a 42" Plasma from Pana & I have a Samsung DVD player which is connected to my other 26" Samsung Flat TV...

I would need something for my Plasma now, I'm wondering I buy the Media Player or blu ray player? Most of my existing collection is both in DVD's & on the laptop & a portable external hard disk, 320GB from WD.
I'm pretty novice when it comes to difft file formats, but when i went thru all these threads I found out that .mkv files are the ones which comes/riped from blu rays, so ideally if I have any movie from this file format I would need a player (Media or Bluray) which would play them so basically, if I buy a bluray player then I would have to buy/rent/borrow :) blurays from a source...but if I buy the media player, i can then download/borrow movies & play it.
However I own an Acer laptop but i'm not sure if it is safe to download movies, all my movie collecn on the laptop is given by my cousin..

Appreciate if you tell me a good option to decide, I'm planning to buy before Deepavali :)

My budget should be less than 12K

Thanks

Check timesofindia today. Onida bluray player playing other formats too....

Just info - not recomendation :)

All mkv s need not neccessarily be BR rips. They give very good compression quality ratio and hence are preferred by rippers for BR rips.
Media player will definitely play these. Some of the BR players will also play them.
I am not too sure though if you can get one such player for 12k.
Looking at your requirements I would advise you to go for a media player rather than a BR player.

Thanks gadgetcrazy, i would appreciate if you let me know which media player gives out very god pic quality & how is the media player compared to a dedicated blu ray player in terms of PQ?

I do not personally own a BR player. So that part I can not answer. As far as picture quality is concerned, it will depend more on your source (SD/ HD) rather than the media player. I own a playon HD media player and am fully satisfied with it

Get the Wharfedale EVO 4.2 3-Way Standmount Speakers at a Special Offer Price.
Back