Melharmony

thevortex

As with most forums of our kind, at any given point of time, there are way more threads talking about audio equipment than about music itself. It would be fantastic if some of the members here could share their eclectic music tastes for the benefit of everybody here.

<end rant> :)

Today, I chanced upon an article in the newspaper regarding Chitraveena exponent Ravi Kiran conducting a course on Melharmony. It kindled my curiosity and at the end, my respect for the artist grew by quite a bit. We need more such individuals from the Classical Music front to put their best foot forward for both the propagation of these fine arts and also to help the next generation understand that there was not something fundamentally wrong with people sitting serenely with eyes closed when somebody on the stage went into a long and involved alapana! :)

I wonder what somebody like Asit - a trained musician, I understand - makes of this. Of course if there are other musicians among us, would love to have their thoughts as well.

Here is the link.

Taking Indian music to U.S. classrooms - The Hindu

Wow! Still no reply! No wonder Classical music in India is going nowhere :) Leave alone popularizing it abroad ...

Vortex, your sentiment is understandable but couple of preconceived notions I had earlier that proved wrong.
1. New generation does not appreciate Indian classical music.
- I was proved wrong when I attended some live classical concerts here in Pune. To my surprise I saw there to be more participation by young music lovers than the more experienced one!

2. Indian classical in not popular abroad.
- It is the exact opposite. IMHO, Indian artists get very high respect abroad. You can easily see that by the number of concerts many Indian artists perform there.

Sharing just my observations.

BTW I started music journey listening to western music. It was just recently that I truly "discovered" (how ironic!) Indian classical after attending some live concerts.

Like Pandit Bheemsen Joshi had once said in an interview:

Interviewer asked Panditjee once what is difference between Indian classical and western music?
Paditjee very humbly and politely replied when you listen to western music your whole body starts to move and dance. So it is external.
But when you listen to Indian classical music it touches you inside and touches your soul. So it is internal experience.

For excellent sound that won't break the bank, the 5 Star Award Winning Wharfedale Diamond 12.1 Bookshelf Speakers is the one to consider!
Back