Metrum Ambre..my review of sorts

newlash09

Hi all...

I had tried roon for a short while last year using their trail period. Roon was installed on my HP laptop and directly feeding my dac via usb out. This was a basic setup with out any roon end points . And I didn't find it make any difference sound quality wise. Maybe better usb cables or some roon end point might have made a difference, but I was too sceptical at that time to give them a try. So I saved myself some money, and cancelled the roon subscription :D

Fast forward to 2019. And I was looking for a digital source with AES EBU out, as both my AMR dp-777 dac cum pre amp, as well my Devialet integrated amp both had AES EBU inputs. After some browsing and reading reviews online I contacted Metrum India for a Metrum Ambre. I didn't know much about it, except that it had AES EBU out that I was looking for.

So arrived the Ambre after a week, subsequent to my payment. Now started the conundrum....iam totally dumb at computers, and the Ambre is basically a raspberry Pi with better power supply for both the boards. And given that I could open the case and change the inbuilt micro SD card with a raspberry image of my choice , I wanted to explore what all options I had. Initially volumio seemed the least expensive with audiophile quality. So bought a 16gb micro SD card and loaded volumio into it, and downloaded the volumio app for Android onto my Lenovo yoga tablet. I also paid their user fee for the app, which I think is around 3.5 euros per month. So all setup gave it a spin. The sound was good, but not other wordly as I expected. So my search continued.

So I decided to give roon another try again. So installed roon server again on my gigabit brix mini pc ( bought from our forum member manniraj ) . And swapped the volumio image micro SD card with the original micro SD that came with the Ambre, which is actually programmed to be a roon end point. Gave it a spin and immediately felt that the back ground noise levels dropped . Especially vocals seem to hang in air, with no audible back ground noise . And there was added clarity and more bass authority and texture in the bass.

So iam really happy with the Ambre as a roon endpoint. I would recommend roon users to give it a spin :)

Thanks for reading

So iam really happy with the Ambre as a roon endpoint. I would recommend roon users to give it a spin :)
Good to know that the Ambre is giving you desired results. Out of curiosity, how does the sound compare to Devialet Air vs having Roon end point in between? I too have tried Roon once but it was spinning the Fan on my Macbook pro all the time so gave up before the trial expired

Good to know that the Ambre is giving you desired results. Out of curiosity, how does the sound compare to Devialet Air vs having Roon end point in between? I too have tried Roon once but it was spinning the Fan on my Macbook pro all the time so gave up before the trial expired

Hi...I tried roon briefly with the Devialet via Devialet air, and I was also using dirac live during its trail version too. The audio chain was roon > dirac live > Devialet air. But I didn't find any big improvement then. Presently the Devialet has blown a fuse, so can't use it with the Ambre now for comparison. The Ambre is presently feeding a AMR dac cum pre amp. But the gain in detail and lower back ground noise was immediately apparent to me, as it has been the lowest in my system so far. Will compare the Devialet via Ambre and Devialet air again once I get the Devialet back running

Get the Wharfedale EVO 4.2 3-Way Standmount Speakers at a Special Offer Price.
Back