Mid range driver not working (Please see the photo)

AlexJealux

Hi all,

While I was listening to music all of sudden one speaker stop functioning. So I took out the midrange driver and saw that the wire underneath the cone has come off. There is no sound coming from the midrange whatsoever. I dont know what might have caused this to happen. My speaker(Tannoy 632) is pretty old. Just wanted to know if it can be repaired without having to buy a used driver since I couldn't one anywhere.

Thanks in advance.

Attachments

• 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    173.5 KB · Views: 59
Braided wire lead from voice coil to terminals has come loose... dried up epoxy and solder over time could be the cause. Pull out the dust cap to see if the voice coil wire is intact.
Then that will be a relatively simple fix. If it goes farther down, it might be irreparable.

Your only hope would be to scrape off the resin to expose more bare copper, to be able to solder the wire together again, apply epoxy glue and replace the dust cap.

Here are some pics to help better explain:

1593311397889.jpeg

1593311964437.jpeg

Braided wire lead from voice coil to terminals has come loose... dried up epoxy and solder over time could be the cause. Pull out the dust cap to see if the voice coil wire is intact.
Then that will be a relatively simple fix. If it goes farther down, it might be irreparable.

Your only hope would be to scrape off the resin to expose more bare copper, to be able to solder the wire together again, apply epoxy glue and replace the dust cap.

Here are some pics to help better explain:

View attachment 46770

View attachment 46772

Appreciate your response, don't think I'll be able to do that myself as I do not want to mess it up even more. Prolly get it repaired. Thank you

For excellent sound that won't break the bank, the 5 Star Award Winning Wharfedale Diamond 12.1 Bookshelf Speakers is the one to consider!
Back