Middle East shopping help needed

arnprasad

Hi All

I crashed my DJI Mavic pro in Goa....sad to see 900 USD crash in water.....but it was 7 years old. So I guess I have convinced myself that even while being unemployed, no harm in buying a new DJI drone!

Thing is.. when ur going on holidays with family...if I have a choice of lodging in a 3-5k INR a day AC hotel vs 1K small fan room...would choose the latter and rather spend the money saved on gadgets as once we are back home...only thing we remember is the footage. This is a tried and tested formula...as we routinely see footage from 25 years ago and enjoy.

Now..coming to buying a new drone...surprisingly a DJI drone is around 70K INR in Dubai vs 90K in USA. Plus easier to ask someone to get it from middle east than USA.

Please let me know in Middle East..which is the best country to buy gadgets... Got a friend in Bahrain and hoping either he or someone he knows keep going to Dubai as I am guessing Dubai is the best.

Pls do let me know some tricks of saving money while buying gadgets in the middle east.

This one is cheapest..portable...but got no obstacle avoidance...have already reached out to US friends..but may have a very long lead time assuming someone will oblige

Need help on tricks to save on price listed in Amazon Dubai

Same one on Amazon USA

as always..ignore the bad english :)

Also if someone is getting stuff costing more than 50K...but say that person is staying abroad....and says this stuff is for personal use and he will take it back with him....do custom folks..note it in passport or something and verify it on his way back out of India?

Hi All

I crashed my DJI Mavic pro in Goa....sad to see 900 USD crash in water.....but it was 7 years old. So I guess I have convinced myself that even while being unemployed, no harm in buying a new DJI drone!

Thing is.. when ur going on holidays with family...if I have a choice of lodging in a 3-5k INR a day AC hotel vs 1K small fan room...would choose the latter and rather spend the money saved on gadgets as once we are back home...only thing we remember is the footage. This is a tried and tested formula...as we routinely see footage from 25 years ago and enjoy.

Now..coming to buying a new drone...surprisingly a DJI drone is around 70K INR in Dubai vs 90K in USA. Plus easier to ask someone to get it from middle east than USA.

Please let me know in Middle East..which is the best country to buy gadgets... Got a friend in Bahrain and hoping either he or someone he knows keep going to Dubai as I am guessing Dubai is the best.

Pls do let me know some tricks of saving money while buying gadgets in the middle east.

This one is cheapest..portable...but got no obstacle avoidance...have already reached out to US friends..but may have a very long lead time assuming someone will oblige

Need help on tricks to save on price listed in Amazon Dubai

Same one on Amazon USA

as always..ignore the bad english :)

Also if someone is getting stuff costing more than 50K...but say that person is staying abroad....and says this stuff is for personal use and he will take it back with him....do custom folks..note it in passport or something and verify it on his way back out of India?
If you have a plan to fly to other countries, especially Europe, it would be better to buy a mini. They have very strict rules about flying drones. It's a personal suggestion.
I think the Middle East will be fine with buying drones; it seems like a good deal.

Carrying a drone-in checking bag will not be an issue, even if it costs more than 50k . They look into gold and other big gadgets. so no issues.

I got all sorts of things from US and Europe including large tower speakers and no customs guy stopped me.

Just that drone has more regulations around it. Official govt policy for 2024 is that drones from abroad cannot be imported into India. But there are tons of videos on youtube on how you can get around it.

Still..what is the answer to my question. Say someone is getting something costly which is way above the free customs limits. So when asked, if that person says its for his own use and he will take it back with him..how will customs track the fact that it went out of India? some notings they do on passport?

Still..what is the answer to my question. Say someone is getting something costly which is way above the free customs limits. So when asked, if that person says its for his own use and he will take it back with him..how will customs track the fact that it went out of India? some notings they do on passport?
The customs officials are seasoned and know if you are going back from India or not. This is generally in the case of a work permit visa and could happen few times on a visit visa abroad where you are unable to pay.
If you are from India on a work permit abroad then you can keep your stuff at the airport warehouse where you may be charged by the day(receipt may be issued) and can take it on your way back which should not attract any duty.
Even if you cannot pay immediately and have come back after the visit, then I am sure there is a provision to keep it there at a cost and pay and clear it the next day.
In the end your negotiating skills will help you.

Last edited:
Just that drone has more regulations around it. Official govt policy for 2024 is that drones from abroad cannot be imported into India. But there are tons of videos on youtube on how you can get around it.
oh. This I am not aware of. My friend carried a DJI Mini at the start of this year without any issues. Maybe the rules changed after that. In this case, I don't know many details. Hopefully, importing drones can still be done. like to show that it's a used one.

oh. This I am not aware of. My friend carried a DJI Mini at the start of this year without any issues. Maybe the rules changed after that. In this case, I don't know many details. Hopefully, importing drones can still be done. like to show that it's a used one.
The rule is there..but even customs folks know if we are importing for resale or personal use. Hence its advised we get rid of packing and get them separately so that they dont think we got for resale.

Funny thing is owning a drone is legal in India but importing is not!!!! we dont make drones in India..atleast quality ones..so not sure how they expect Indians to own one without getting it from abroad :) Dont think DJI has official resellers and they definitely dont sell directly.

The customs officials are seasoned and know if you are going back from India or not. This is generally in the case of a work permit visa and could happen few times on a visit visa abroad where you are unable to pay.
If you are from India on a work permit abroad then you can keep your stuff at the airport warehouse where you may be charged by the day(receipt may be issued) and can take it on your way back which should not attract any duty.
Even if you cannot pay immediately and have come back after the visit, then I am sure there is a provision to keep it there at a cost and pay and clear it the next day.
In the end your negotiating skills will help you.
No..think this way.

We got Indians living everywhere in the world. So say they get a drone costing a lakh. during scan...customs find this out and ask. The visitor says I am on a holiday visiting family and I will take this drone to shoot personal videos. They cannot say keep it in warehouse.

So not sure what the official policy and procedure of customs is. Let me keep googling. No direct answer available on quora even.

pardon the poor english!

Back