Mild Electrical Shocks Through Audio/ Video Cables!

reju

I have observed this phenomenon many times, I get mild (sometimes disturbing :eek:) electrical shocks from my audio/ video interconnecting plugs, STB antenna socket, USB connectors, metal cover of media player etc., randomly, when I am not wearing slippers or when sitting on the floor.

Is this normal? I guess this should not happen? :confused: I have checked, but my power line is properly earthed. I have recently added Belkin Surgemaster (power strip) which shows (LED) it's properly earthed. Even then how does it happen?

Could there be some current leakage in the system? Can someone throw some light?

Edit: Sorry, I found another thread with similar discussion! I think I should I try Cranky's method reversing the plug, the live/ neutral funda...
I will need to get a tester to test all equipments while doing this, instead of poking my finger at everything. God, I hate it when I get that chota jhatka!

Last edited:
There is current leakage in the system.
Your power main is earthed but as your system's power cords are two pronged you need to earth any one component in the chain, preferably amp.
Regards
Vasu

I have observed this phenomenon many times, I get mild (sometimes disturbing :eek:) electrical shocks from my audio/ video interconnecting plugs, STB antenna socket, USB connectors, metal cover of media player etc., randomly, when I am not wearing slippers or when sitting on the floor.

Is this normal? I guess this should not happen? :confused: I have checked, but my power line is properly earthed. I have recently added Belkin Surgemaster (power strip) which shows (LED) it's properly earthed. Even then how does it happen?

Could there be some current leakage in the system? Can someone throw some light?

Edit: Sorry, I found another thread with similar discussion! I think I should I try Cranky's method reversing the plug, the live/ neutral funda...
I will need to get a tester to test all equipments while doing this, instead of poking my finger at everything. God, I hate it when I get that chota jhatka!

no no no to getting shocks even mild. Get a registered electrician and get the things fixed. No penny pinching with AV equipment.

Hi,

I am no expert on these things, but remember this has been discussed before in the forum when some members complained about similar shocks and power experts like Venkat, Cranky and Suhas (forgive me if I have missed any imp names) giving recommendations. As far as I can remember, one of their recommendations was to change the polarity of the plug going into the socket for the affected equipment. This does not take any effort or time or money. Just pull out the 2-pin plug of the power cord of the affected equipment and put it back with the polarity reversed. Of course, if that does not work, or in any case, you always call up a certified engineer to come and check the circuitry.

Regards.

i had the same problem and got the solution from this forum.

The problem is the 2 pin plugs not your electrical connection.
All you have to do is take a thin wire
and connect it to one of the screws in the body
of the first chain in your music system.
(Cd player/ Set Top Box, etc)
And connect the other end to the ground terminal in the plug socket.

It worked for me. i had the same problem with my DVD player.
Now itz fine.

Get the Award Winning Diamond 12.3 Floorstanding Speakers on Special Offer
Back