Mildew removal on Q3050i floorstander

Sean de Silva

I just discovered after the last monsoon season that both my Q3050i floorstanders were covered with a mildew type growth. This appears on the front baffle and all sides of the cabinet. Luckily the woofers and tweeter have been spared.
My initial response was to wipe it off with dry tissue paper and the mildew seems to have dried off. I have posted a pic below. Am wondering if I should lightly dampen microfibre cloth / tissue paper with this product - Clorox mildew and mold remover and wipe across all affected surfaces.
CLOROX MOLD AND MILDEW REMOVER (TRIGGER) 500ML https://www.amazon.in/dp/B07JNH7X5H/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_nBmuEbZ9JYGYF

Btw the Q3050i cabinet is made of MDF. Would appreciate advice and suggestions.

IMG_20200222_105940.jpg

Last edited:
Make sure that the above mentioned product can be used on wood.
If not then please don't use as it will damage the cabinet.

One CAP of cooking vinegar mixed well with 1 mug of water. Dampen soft cloth (piece of well worn old cotton sari or microfibre cloth) and wipe cabinet with it. After it dries, dampen the same cloth after rinsing well with plain water and wipe off.

Make sure that the above mentioned product can be used on wood.
If not then please don't use as it will damage the cabinet.

Iirc I thought I read somewhere that bleach can be used on treated wood. Dunno about porous mdf.

One CAP of cooking vinegar mixed well with 1 mug of water. Dampen soft cloth (piece of well worn old cotton sari or microfibre cloth) and wipe cabinet with it. After it dries, dampen the same cloth after rinsing well with plain water and wipe off.

Thank you for the advice. Does it have to be any specific type of vinegar for ex distilled white vinegar/ apple cider vinegar or can I use what we have at home i.e. coconut toddy vinegar?

I just discovered after the last monsoon season that both my Q3050i floorstanders were covered with a mildew type growth. This appears on the front baffle and all sides of the cabinet. Luckily the woofers and tweeter have been spared.
My initial response was to wipe it off with dry tissue paper and the mildew seems to have dried off. I have posted a pic below. Am wondering if I should lightly dampen microfibre cloth / tissue paper with this product - Clorox mildew and mold remover and wipe across all affected surfaces.
CLOROX MOLD AND MILDEW REMOVER (TRIGGER) 500ML https://www.amazon.in/dp/B07JNH7X5H/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_nBmuEbZ9JYGYF

Btw the Q3050i cabinet is made of MDF. Would appreciate advice and suggestions.

View attachment 43847
Hi,

If other veneered furniture in your house is not attracting mildew, why would it affect just your speakers and nothing else? Could there be something different about the vineer used by the manufacturer or the adhesive? My 3050s developed air bubbles on the top surface after a couple of months of use. They were still under warranty and the distributor replaced the speakers free of cost. The replaced speakers did not develop any bubbles.

Best wishes

Hi,

If other veneered furniture in your house is not attracting mildew, why would it affect just your speakers and nothing else? Could there be something different about the vineer used by the manufacturer or the adhesive? My 3050s developed air bubbles on the top surface after a couple of months of use. They were still under warranty and the distributor replaced the speakers free of cost. The replaced speakers did not develop any bubbles.

Best wishes
Mumbai weather is extreme heat + salinity in the air + high humidity + extreme dust all of which are murderous on HiFi gear! This seems like classic mildew after an unusually prolonged monsoon which tapered off in November. The floorstanders barely get direct sunlight falling on them. Unfortunate that your 3050s developed bubbles on the cabinet. Luckily I haven't spotted anything of that nature yet fingers xd.

Just use a damp cloth even mild hand wash soap (may be 2-3mm drop) will do. But clean it again with damp cloth. Speaker body is covered with vinyl paper laminate. Water won’t penetrate laminate surface.

Wharfedale Linton Heritage Speakers in Walnut finish at a Special Offer Price. BUY now before the price increase.
Back