minix neo or kdlinks or

gcr

hi all ,
I need a media player to use with Acer H5380BD mainly for 3D playback from hard disk.
I'm consider these models, Budget below $200.

1) Minix neo X8H+ ( ~ $ 170 with airmouse) Is it worth at this price point ?
2) Kdlinks 720 ( $ 160)
3) Minix neo X6 ( ~ $ 85 )
4) Minix neo X7 ( ~ $ 110 )
5) Keedox Quad Core Amazon.com: Keedox Amlogic s802 4K UHD Quad Core Smart TV Box Android 4.4.2 Kitkat DDR3 2G 8G Rom 4K*2K HDMI Output XBMC Media Player: Electronics (~ $85 )
6) keedox Dual Core 8gb Amazon.com: Keedox Dual Core Android 4.2 Smart TV Box XBMC Media Player Smart Network Player *8G* Full HD 1080P WIFI HDMI XBMC Netflix YOUTUBE Skype QQ: Electronics (~ $ 62)

or any other options.. Dune will be out of my budget.

regards
girish:)

Last edited:
If budget is not of any constraint, minix x8 plus is worth a product, KD links also is good and probably would have been the winner before x8 plus was launched. With with true 4K support with latest 4K H.265 / HEVC Hardware Decoding Support x8 plus wins. Plus best xbmc experience on any android TV box.

Last edited:
If budget is not of any constraint, minix x8 plus is worth a product, KD links also is good and probably would have been the winner before x8 plus was launched. With with true 4K support with latest 4K H.265 / HEVC Hardware Decoding Support x8 plus wins. Plus best xbmc experience on a android TV box.

thanks sam,
you mean X8H+, right? Because when i checked amazon x8 + is also there.

regards

yes sorry what I meant was X8 H PLus with S812-H Quad Core proc ..... :)

Minix does not support DTS and Dolby HD audio as of now. Lossless audio is most important when we watch in HT. KDLinks A200 android seems to be much good than Minix though it does not have the 4K but supports all audio and video codecs and also XBMC. Priced around $200

It supports DTS and DD but yes not DD THD and DTS MA, thats chip limitation, personally I am ok as most of the time we watch rips and those are rarely infact 98% of the time DD or DTS. Only while watching full BD ISO or disk we expect DD THD and DTA MA. But pass-though is there I presume. But I agree yes KD Links A200 is also a worth product. Pretty decent

Last edited:
No compromise solution, build a HTPC rig. Nothing compares and over the long run it also works out cheaper. I've run through a couple of Android TV boxes for not doing 4K, HEVC, DTS HD, etc. With a HTPC its only adding/upgrading a GPU or the OS and you are all set for even the latest formats.

Just my 2 cents...

That said I'd also vote for the MINIX NEO X8-H PLUS, its even got 802.11 AC wireless for streaming and I've used the X6 in the past. But do check if it supports 3D playback, its not listed in the specs.

It supports DTS and DD but yes not DD THD and DTS MA, thats chip limitation, personally I am ok as most of the time we watch rips and those are rarely infact 98% of the time DD or DTS. Only while watching full BD ISO or disk we expect DD THD and DTA MA. But pass-though is there I presume. But I agree yes KD Links A200 is also a worth product. Pretty decent

check out this thread ...

http://www.minixforum.com/threads/minix-neo-x8-h-plus-for-new-users.4061/

sydneys posts confirms that it does have THD and MA is there via passthrough

yes sorry what I meant was X8 H PLus with S812-H Quad Core proc ..... :)
check out this thread ...

http://www.minixforum.com/threads/minix-neo-x8-h-plus-for-new-users.4061/

sydneys posts confirms that it does have THD and MA is there via passthrough
thanks for clarifying and the links.
Don't say sorry, I asked because of the varieties X8 , X8+ , X8H, X8H+.

I gone through other threads in that forums, but mixed comments..:rolleyes:

regards

No compromise solution, build a HTPC rig. Nothing compares and over the long run it also works out cheaper. I've run through a couple of Android TV boxes for not doing 4K, HEVC, DTS HD, etc. With a HTPC its only adding/upgrading a GPU or the OS and you are all set for even the latest formats.

Just my 2 cents...

That said I'd also vote for the MINIX NEO X8-H PLUS, its even got 802.11 AC wireless for streaming and I've used the X6 in the past. But do check if it supports 3D playback, its not listed in the specs.

yeah I was thinking of it earlier. But this ( media player) is a instant solution, right?
I can use raspberry pi, but 3d ?

regards

Rasp pi 2 should play sbs and top bottom 3d format just fine.

You have to install some sort of OS, either raspbmc or openelec, I will vouch for openelec, and also you should be clear as to how to install the OS. Once installed you can view 3D movies in either SBS or TB format.

And yes you would be able to adjust the output to 720p from within the OS, i.e via either openelec or raspbmc.

I don't know much about openelec , xmbc. I will read further and collect information. There is a saying in Malayalam - which means "Little knowledge is dangerous"

I used xmbc on my system i liked it but it hangs, so i deleted it. may be because of my system: intel pentium CPUG645 @ 2.90GHz and 4 GB RAM.

cheers:)

Last edited:
OpenELEC is XBMC packaged on linux and it runs fine on Rasp pi. Preferably rasp pi 2

I've not used Raspberry Pi or OpenELEC. I've used Kodi and did not like it, ditto for Plex. Either way even PotPlayer will do 3D.

I'm not sure Minix Neo X8H+ does 3D, if it does then that's the best solution for your budget. Unless you have an old PC that you can convert to HTPC with the addition of a GPU and RAM (if needed). Any Intel processor (preferable with onboard GPU) over the last few years will do, for GPU any NVIDIA GT series 6XX onwards will do, GTX is better.

Do start with an old PC if you have one... that's the best route to go. It will handle all formats, even bistream HD audio and can be upgraded anytime.

However, if HTPC is not an option then confirm on the Minix Neo X8H+ for 3D and go with it. It's one of the better Android TV boxes in terms of h/w.

update.
sorry guys, I didn't buy minix nor kdlinks. my friend returned early than expected. so, i'm left with htpc( to be build later).

regards

Get NUC i3 for around 20K
Early i checked INTEL NUC 2820.

Finally i bought raspberry pi 2. will get it next week.But now i'm thinking, can i make it a media player :rolleyes:, because I'm not well verse with programming. openelec, raspbmc, raspbian,.... what to do?

I got the raspberry pi yesterday. I installed openelec and boot it up (i downloaded image file not the noobs) . wow. I didnt thought it was so simple to install. i used the usb port of the tv to power it up, added wireless usb adapter and wireless keyboard and mouse. wifi was selected out of the box.

1) When i connected 1 TB wd passport ultra, it didn't work. If i use 2.1A adapter, will it solve this? or do i need higher than 2A to work all these ( external hard drive, wifi usb, wireless keyboard and mouse) Or any other solutions.

2) how to stream files from my desktop ( connected to wireless router) to raspberry pi?

pics
http://1drv.ms/1KlgnzK
http://1drv.ms/1FplV8b

Thanks to all helping me to complete budget media player.

Starting a new thread.
http://www.hifivision.com/home-theater-pc-htpc-media-pc/58353-raspberry-pi-2-media-player.html
Please have Suggestions and discussions on this thread.

regards
girish :)

Last edited:
Check out our special offers on Stereo Package & Bundles for all budget types.
Back