Mission 720 Restoration

KlausAD

Hello, I have recently gotten my hands on my dad's Mission 720 speakers and love them, even though they are only half functioning :).

1630883923561 copy.jpg16308839235611 copy.jpg
As you can see from the pictures they are pretty beat up, there is foam rot in the mid range and woofers surround has holes in it which I will soon replace.
I am also going to have to replace the tweeters, one side is completely busted and the other barely works.
I really need some recommendations and I would really love to find some alternatives that keep the original aesthetics.
1630884574477 copy.jpg

But I am sort of lost as to what to do next other than removing the black cover and getting the old walnut wood & giving it a new polish. Should I get new cones since the old ones look beat up? Would the sound be better that way?

I also have received some interesting comments about this, I would appreciate some thoughts from others on this.
I have shown these speakers to a discord community and an experienced person on the subject proclaimed his Mission 792 bookshelf speakers that costed him 60€ sounded better than these speakers when they were fully functioning, and I cannot really doubt what he is saying as he works at an audio store and he is someone I trust.

I am having really mixed feelings about this comment, do you people think this is not worth it? Do you think I should restore them, would it be a better idea to just get some 60€ bookshelves like he advised.

Thanks to everyone for taking their time reading this post!
I would really love to hear various people's opinions on this subject! :)

Hello, I have recently gotten my hands on my dad's Mission 720 speakers and love them, even though they are only half functioning :).

View attachment 61735View attachment 61736
As you can see from the pictures they are pretty beat up, there is foam rot in the mid range and woofers surround has holes in it which I will soon replace.
I am also going to have to replace the tweeters, one side is completely busted and the other barely works.
I really need some recommendations and I would really love to find some alternatives that keep the original aesthetics.
View attachment 61737

But I am sort of lost as to what to do next other than removing the black cover and getting the old walnut wood & giving it a new polish. Should I get new cones since the old ones look beat up? Would the sound be better that way?

I also have received some interesting comments about this, I would appreciate some thoughts from others on this.
I have shown these speakers to a discord community and an experienced person on the subject proclaimed his Mission 792 bookshelf speakers that costed him 60€ sounded better than these speakers when they were fully functioning, and I cannot really doubt what he is saying as he works at an audio store and he is someone I trust.

I am having really mixed feelings about this comment, do you people think this is not worth it? Do you think I should restore them, would it be a better idea to just get some 60€ bookshelves like he advised.

Thanks to everyone for taking their time reading this post!
I would really love to hear various people's opinions on this subject! :)

Hi

To be honest most restoration projects are a costly affair as getting parts or replacements for vintage audio most of the time is challenging. You can check through various online listings over ebay etc for replacement drivers etc...it makes sense for restoration if you have the budget and if these speakers hold sentimental value besides their good performance.

Everyone of us have our own perceptions of what is the best or ideal sound....bottomline you should hear those bookshelfs with your kind of music and decide if it pleases you and your wallet (Budget). The acoustics and treatment in a demo room at a store will differ from your place where you would use the speakers so keep all that in ,mind. Best is to carry your favourite music which you are too familiar with (mixed genres) and then decide accordingly.

All the best.

Yeah I am not planning on getting original parts to replace these, even though I called it a restoration I just want to make them functional, anything that sounds good and hopefully looks closed to the original is very appreciated!

Wharfedale Linton Heritage Speakers in Walnut finish at a Special Offer Price. BUY now before the price increase.
Back