Mission MS 450 - Initial impression

k_vijay12

Folks , last week i made an impulsive buy of Mission MS 450 sub. I ended up buying this sub without an audition. Given the on paper specs and price performance ratio, i got tempted.

Actually i was looking at used route in budget 20-25k for my stereo listening, but didnt like any thing.

Got the shipment delivered yesterday evening and tested if everything is alright. Played for an hour at 25% volume in sub... crossed at 40 & 80hz range to see the responses, played some youtube list on frequency test and rock music. Hotel california sounded beautiful along with my KEFs , Given that my room is small (10x13ft ) , it felt like an over kill , wifey got headache and asked me to stop, also my 2.5 yr old toddler was curious to know what it is. Was afraid if kid might do some thing , so i packed it back :)) and wd start using when i shift to a bigger place..

Played jurassic park dinosaur entry scene, Beast Trailer , It was Fairly good experience. More details later when i shift house and open the sub :D

Mission MS 450 sub spec && price looks promising. I think it would be one of a good option for the ones looking for 15" sub.

Folks , last week i made an impulsive buy of Mission MS 450 sub. I ended up buying this sub without an audition. Given the on paper specs and price performance ratio, i got tempted.

Actually i was looking at used route in budget 20-25k for my stereo listening, but didnt like any thing.

Got the shipment delivered yesterday evening and tested if everything is alright. Played for an hour at 25% volume in sub... crossed at 40 & 80hz range to see the responses, played some youtube list on frequency test and rock music. Hotel california sounded beautiful along with my KEFs , Given that my room is small (10x13ft ) , it felt like an over kill , wifey got headache and asked me to stop, also my 2.5 yr old toddler was curious to know what it is. Was afraid if kid might do some thing , so i packed it back :)) and wd start using when i shift to a bigger place..

Played jurassic park dinosaur entry scene, Beast Trailer , It was Fairly good experience. More details later when i shift house and open the sub :D

Your detailed review will do a world of good. When I was on the lookout for a sub couple of months back, I stumbled upon MS450 and almost finalized it. But, backed out due to the lack of a single review. There are a few unboxing videos but unboxing and actual user reviews are different!

Your detailed review will do a world of good. When I was on the lookout for a sub couple of months back, I stumbled upon MS450 and almost finalized it. But, backed out due to the lack of a single review. There are a few unboxing videos but unboxing and actual user reviews are different!

@DB1989 has been using this sub for a while. He would be in a better position to review. Although we did discuss on this privately. He can share his experience better than me.

Congrats!
If you feel like it, and play around a bit more, or run room correction, am sure you will find the sweet spot.
Of course, best done when family is not around for a few hours :D

Subwoofers cannot over power a room if setup properly.
I had done same thing what you did with my BIC PL300 and my neighbours were home. But after calibrating and getting a sweetspot for it, I enjoy thumping bass.

It will take some time to burn in, would suggest runn it at low volumes but let it burn in. I usually let speakers or subs burn in before I calibrate them.
Once you move to new place you are ready to calibrate and enjoy.

Subwoofers cannot over power a room if setup properly.
I had done same thing what you did with my BIC PL300 and my neighbours were home. But after calibrating and getting a sweetspot for it, I enjoy thumping bass.

It will take some time to burn in, would suggest runn it at low volumes but let it burn in. I usually let speakers or subs burn in before I calibrate them.
Once you move to new place you are ready to calibrate and enjoy.
Actually, you should set the volume slightly above the normal volume for a proper burn in. Atleast that is what I remember.

Actually, you should set the volume slightly above the normal volume for a proper burn in. Atleast that is what I remember.
My wife will kick me out of house probably if i reopen the sub now :)) .. just to test for 1 hr itself wifey said she is having headache due to the sound thump at 25% volume. listening/ sitting distance is 7-8ft.. so not a great positioning . So will wait till I move to a bigger place for burn in/ setting up.

Congrats!
If you feel like it, and play around a bit more, or run room correction, am sure you will find the sweet spot.
Of course, best done when family is not around for a few hours :D
No room correction etc possible at current home. The sub is too big n needs enough breathing space as well.

I connected n tested with stereo. Tv--> optical -->dac-->sub. So no scope fr settings other than crossover n phase.

No room correction etc possible at current home. The sub is too big n needs enough breathing space as well.

I connected n tested with stereo. Tv--> optical -->dac-->sub. So no scope fr settings other than crossover n phase.
Ah, understood.
Look forward to detailed impressions once you have moved.
Cheers

@DB1989 has been using this sub for a while. He would be in a better position to review. Although we did discuss on this privately. He can share his experience better than me.
Every experience is invaluable as it brings along and addresses it's own set of nuances :)

Insofar as it pertains to mine, I've found the MS450 to be quite adept at pressurising a fairly large sized room (mine is 450 sq.ft).

Coming to SQ, though it has plenty of heft, i perceive it to be a softer presentation as it does not have the punch, slam and dynamic capabilities of my sealed subs - the REL T9i. The bass is also not as tight and articulate as the REL. Then again, it has a rather satisfying sense of heft and enough in the way of bass note distinction to be reasonably good for movies.

And movies is where it really shines - for the price. The bass quantity and heft is enough to put a wide smile on anyone.

While it's relative lack of articulation, speed and dynamics vis-a-vis the REL means it's a no go for me when it comes to music, it does play well with hip hop music where a little loose and unruly bass adds to the mix. The fact that it extends to 22hz in my room compared to 25hz for the REL also helps.

another thing of note is that it's frequency response in my room is quite dissimilar to the RELs. They each excite different room nodes.

Last edited:
Every experience is invaluable as it brings along and addresses it's own set of nuances :)

Insofar as it pertains to mine, I've found the MS450 to be quite adept at pressurising a fairly large sized room (mine is 450 sq.ft).

Coming to SQ, though it has plenty of heft, i perceive it to be a softer presentation as it does not have the punch, slam and dynamic capabilities of my sealed subs - the REL T9i. The bass is also not as tight and articulate as the REL. Then again, it has a rather satisfying sense of heft and enough in the way of bass note distinction to be reasonably good for movies.

And movies is where it really shines - for the price. The bass quantity and heft is enough to put a wide smile on anyone.

While it's relative lack of articulation, speed and dynamics vis-a-vis the REL means it's a no go for me when it comes to music, it does play well with hip hop music where a little loose and unruly bass adds to the mix. The fact that it extends to 22hz in my room compared to 25hz for the REL also helps.

another thing of note is that it's frequency response in my room is quite dissimilar to the RELs. They each excite different room nodes.
How would the Taga tsw 212se stack up to the MS450 ?

I have this subwoofer. The only thing i can say is that while it does packs a punch for movies but the amplifier at back of subwoofer becomes so hot after 15 minutes of use that you will not dare touch it. It feels like amplifier will melt internal parts.! To resolve heating issue I had to install external dual fans.

I have this subwoofer. The only thing i can say is that while it does packs a punch for movies but the amplifier at back of subwoofer becomes so hot after 15 minutes of use that you will not dare touch it. It feels like amplifier will melt internal parts.! To resolve heating issue I had to install external dual fans.
Can it be an issue with your sub? Class AB or D will not get hot to touch, IMO.

How is the sound quality?
Currently I am using Yamaha YST-315 10" subwoofer.
Can I get any advantage by upgrading to Mission MS-450?

My wife will kick me out of house probably if i reopen the sub now :)) .. just to test for 1 hr itself wifey said she is having headache due to the sound thump at 25% volume. listening/ sitting distance is 7-8ft.. so not a great positioning . So will wait till I move to a bigger place for burn in/ setting up.
DO it when she is OUT!

I am planning to move from 10x11 to 13x23 room.
In that case, the Mission MS450 is an excellent choice depending on the price its on offer.

I have it in a 21x30 room and it pressurizes the entire room more than adequately.

However, if you want sub 20hz response, then you should consider a Rythmik LV12 which, i wager, will also pressurise your room adequately.

Join WhatsApp group to get HiFiMART.com Offers & Deals delivered to your smartphone!
Back