Mission or Wharfedale with Marantz PM5005

I have driven the LX-2 mk-ii and QX-2 with a variety of budget and mid-fi amps and none of them have had a problem in the slightest driving these speakers.
Hi, I'm also looking for a nearfield desktop setup in and around 25k. Currently, the qx2 mk2 is going for 26k which is an astoundingly good price it seems. But not sure whether it'll be the right fit for a desktop setup. I'll be using with ayima a07 class D amp and ifi zen DAC which I already own.

Alternatively, I'm also looking at the fyne f300 since it's around 20k, small in size, and based on this video
has a decent amount of bass for the size (not planning to add sub in future).

Other options I'm considering are the dali spektor 1 (bright, bass lean?), QA 3020i (same dilemma as the dali), jbl a130, PSB alpha P5.

So confused what to do since demo options are really limited and in some cases none in my city.

Hi, I'm also looking for a nearfield desktop setup in and around 25k. Currently, the qx2 mk2 is going for 26k which is an astoundingly good price it seems. But not sure whether it'll be the right fit for a desktop setup. I'll be using with ayima a07 class D amp and ifi zen DAC which I already own.
Hi Soumyajit,

The Missions are fantastic speakers but have a sizeable footprint and would be an ill fit for a desk.
Alternatively, I'm also looking at the fyne f300 since it's around 20k, small in size, and based on this video
has a decent amount of bass for the size (not planning to add sub in future).

Other options I'm considering are the dali spektor 1 (bright, bass lean?), QA 3020i (same dilemma as the dali), jbl a130, PSB alpha P5.
Amongst your other options, i have heard the 3020i and the P5. The PSB is the smaller of the two though it takes up more vertical space.

They both sound quite different - the 3020i plays it a little safe whereas the P5 is a more exciting and dynamic listen with punchier and more substantial bass.

To my ears, the P5 is the better speaker but I've known folks who find it's tweeter a little bright.

On the other hand, i know a couple of QA M20HD owners (essentially the same speaker as the 3020i) who prefer the P5 (but they've never heard both in the same room).

P.S.- neither of these speakers can hold a candle to the QX2 for build quality.

P.P.S.- i believe I've only added to your conundrum.

Hi Soumyajit,

The Missions are fantastic speakers but have a sizeable footprint and would be an ill fit for a desk.

Amongst your other options, i have heard the 3020i and the P5. The PSB is the smaller of the two though it takes up more vertical space.

They both sound quite different - the 3020i plays it a little safe whereas the P5 is a more exciting and dynamic listen with punchier and more substantial bass.

To my ears, the P5 is the better speaker but I've known folks who find it's tweeter a little bright.

On the other hand, i know a couple of QA M20HD owners (essentially the same speaker as the 3020i) who prefer the P5 (but they've never heard both in the same room).

P.S.- neither of these speakers can hold a candle to the QX2 for build quality.

P.P.S.- i believe I've only added to your conundrum.
build quality is not a priority, just need something that can make it feel like it was worth the hassle to upgrade from the jbl 306p studio monitors. So if qx2 are that much better than the p5 in terms pure sonic abilities I don't mind since they are almost same size as the JBL's. My only concern is off-axis performance, bass performance and dynamics at a lower volume since ll be using for nearfield.

build quality is not a priority, just need something that can make it feel like it was worth the hassle to upgrade from the jbl 306p studio monitors. So if qx2 are that much better than the p5 in terms pure sonic abilities I don't mind since they are almost same size as the JBL's. My only concern is off-axis performance, bass performance and dynamics at a lower volume since ll be using for nearfield.
Hold on mate! The budget offerings you're considering may not be much of an upgrade from the JBL 306P according to anecdotal information I've gathered about it.

Could you elaborate on what is it that you feel you're missing from the said speakers?

Hold on mate! The budget offerings you're considering may not be much of an upgrade from the JBL 306P according to anecdotal information I've gathered about it.

Could you elaborate on what is it that you feel you're missing from the said speakers?
bass texture and speed, midrange probably a little scooped for my taste .... looks also plasticky, plus I have this itch (don't know whether right or wrong) that passive speakers are more "audiophile" as in fidelity wise it'll be better. So, I don't know...

Hello Members,

Is anyone here using the Mission LX-2 speakers? I wanted to know how they sound? I was planning to get these and pair them with a Marantz PM5005.

The other speakers I was looking at are the Wharfedale Diamond 11.2 or 12.1 but those are almost double the price of the LX2's. If anyone has these please share your thoughts and how these will sound with a Marantz amplifier.

Links for said speakers:
Mission LX-2 Bookshelf Speakers
Wharfedale Diamond 11.2 Bookshelf Speakers
Wharfedale Diamond 12.1 Bookshelf Speakers

Genres I listen to: Rock, Pop, EDM, Synth Wave, Fusion, Country. I largely listen to my music on Low to Medium volume levels.
Source: Audio PC (JRiver MC) > Khadas Tone Board DAC > Marantz PM5005 > Speakers

Thank-you
Hi,

I will not talk about what brand of amp or speakers u should go for. I will just speak in general from my experience. As I understand speakers play a much bigger role in comparison to the amplifier. One can go for an entry level amplifier. Off course it all depends on a person buying capabilities and budget. Entry level in europe/usa does not mean it is cheap for India. When we take into consideration the conversion of currency + duties + warranty pad up it elevates the cost by another 40-50%. You buy the amp that is on your mind, online or by physical audition, whatever is comfortable for you. Marantz is a good choice. As I understand Marantz is on bright side (as heard from others) in tonal signature so the speakers that will match has to be neutral/flat sounding like Wharfedale's or laid back/warm sounding like Elac's B5 or 6. After amplifier purcahse take your amp and go to hi-fi stores and physically audition with different speakers and go for the speakers that sound best to your ears. Do not simply go by the reviews on you tube/brand influence. Plus there are various companies in India itself that make selective and good audio equipment's like Acoustic Portrait, Norge, sonodyne, Indiq audio etc. One can match mid to high end speakers with entry level amps and this will not pose much of a problem. Whatever speaker brand names I have mentioned are just examples. And Just inspect the cables you are using if needed buy decent speaker cables, banana plugs/spades and interconnect cables that you will use for different connection. Decent does not mean spend fortune on that, just buy quality stuff indian/imported. Cables play a very important role. Maybe you are already well aware of the points I have written, I just felt like writing these to you. Hope something out of this will come handy for you.

Get the Wharfedale EVO 4.2 3-Way Standmount Speakers at a Special Offer Price.
Back