Mission or Wharfedale with Marantz PM5005

Luxman Amplifiers India

DB1989

Hello Members,

Is anyone here using the Mission LX-2 speakers? I wanted to know how they sound? I was planning to get these and pair them with a Marantz PM5005.

The other speakers I was looking at are the Wharfedale Diamond 11.2 or 12.1 but those are almost double the price of the LX2's. If anyone has these please share your thoughts and how these will sound with a Marantz amplifier.

Links for said speakers:
Mission LX-2 Bookshelf Speakers
Wharfedale Diamond 11.2 Bookshelf Speakers
Wharfedale Diamond 12.1 Bookshelf Speakers

Genres I listen to: Rock, Pop, EDM, Synth Wave, Fusion, Country. I largely listen to my music on Low to Medium volume levels.
Source: Audio PC (JRiver MC) > Khadas Tone Board DAC > Marantz PM5005 > Speakers

Thank-you
You need to determine the presentation that you like in your music.

You can get the WD if you like a softer and polite presentation in the abovesaid Genres that I've highlighted in bold. I listen to the said genres quite a bit and no, the Wharfedale does not do it for me. Its not bad at all but there are other speakers that sound much better with the said genres than the WDs to my ears in the same/lower price range, notably the Missions QX2s in your shortlist.

I have the Evo4.2 and while it is sublime with classical, jazz and old hindi songs due to its nice and warm mid range, they lack dynamics and speed to my ears for Rock and EDM though synthwave works just fine since tracks fromt this genre aren't very demanding. Another FM who pretty much listens to the same genres as you checked out my system and he too preferred the WDs paired with a Marantz PM6006 the least with the said genres.

Could you please explain why?

Normally people praise and prefer WD's warm signature and mids. WD Diamonds have great reviews. Especially the 11.2s.
You need to determine the type of music that these people "normally" listen to and then gauge whether they are aligned with yours before proceeding with the said recommendations.

Last edited:

Black_Hawk

The Mission QX-2 is back in stock. Thing is though, will a Marantz PM5005 be able to drive the QX-2? I know the Marantz is a good match with the LX-2 but I'm unsure about the QX-2.

Nominal Impedance of LX-2: 6 Ohms
Minimum Impedance of LX-2: 4.4 Ohms

Nominal Impedance of QX-2: 4 Ohms (Compatible 8 Ohms)
Minimum Impedance of QX-2: 3.6 Ohms

@MaSh and @DB1989 would appreciate your inputs regarding this please.

Last edited:

jarneevan

The Mission QX-2 is back in stock. Thing is though, will a Marantz PM5005 be able to drive the QX-2? I know the Marantz is a good match with the LX-2 but I'm unsure about the QX-2.

Nominal Impedance of LX-2: 6 Ohms
Minimum Impedance of LX-2: 4.4 Ohms

Nominal Impedance of QX-2: 4 Ohms (Compatible 8 Ohms)
Minimum Impedance of QX-2: 3.6 Ohms

@MaSh and @DB1989 would appreciate your inputs regarding this please.
I had LX4 and later LX5 for short time and both Pioneer and Denon receivers could drive them with ease.

Later got QX5 as both LX4 and LX5 developed problems. I didn't know QX series is 4ohm speakers. I always wondered why Pioneer could't drive them at all. QX5s sound almost like bluetooth speakers with the Pioneer. Denon fares better but Denon + LX4/5 was in a different league.

I don't have experience with Marantz.

Last edited:

Black_Hawk

I had LX4 and later LX5 for short time and both Pioneer and Denon receivers could drive them with ease.

Later got QX5 as both LX4 and LX5 developed problems. I didn't know QX series is 4ohm speakers. I always wondered why Pioneer could't drive them at all. QX5s sound almost like bluetooth speakers with the Pioneer. Denon fares better but Denon + LX4/5 was in a different league.

I don't have experience with Marantz.

Can you kindly tell me the model number of the Pioneer Amplifier that could not drive the QX5? I need to check it's specs.