Mission or Wharfedale with Marantz PM5005

Hello Members,

Is anyone here using the Mission LX-2 speakers? I wanted to know how they sound? I was planning to get these and pair them with a Marantz PM5005.

The other speakers I was looking at are the Wharfedale Diamond 11.2 or 12.1 but those are almost double the price of the LX2's. If anyone has these please share your thoughts and how these will sound with a Marantz amplifier.

Links for said speakers:
Mission LX-2 Bookshelf Speakers
Wharfedale Diamond 11.2 Bookshelf Speakers
Wharfedale Diamond 12.1 Bookshelf Speakers

Genres I listen to: Rock, Pop, EDM, Synth Wave, Fusion, Country. I largely listen to my music on Low to Medium volume levels.
Source: Audio PC (JRiver MC) > Khadas Tone Board DAC > Marantz PM5005 > Speakers

Thank-you
You need to determine the presentation that you like in your music.

You can get the WD if you like a softer and polite presentation in the abovesaid Genres that I've highlighted in bold. I listen to the said genres quite a bit and no, the Wharfedale does not do it for me. Its not bad at all but there are other speakers that sound much better with the said genres than the WDs to my ears in the same/lower price range, notably the Missions QX2s in your shortlist.

I have the Evo4.2 and while it is sublime with classical, jazz and old hindi songs due to its nice and warm mid range, they lack dynamics and speed to my ears for Rock and EDM though synthwave works just fine since tracks fromt this genre aren't very demanding. Another FM who pretty much listens to the same genres as you checked out my system and he too preferred the WDs paired with a Marantz PM6006 the least with the said genres.

Could you please explain why?

Normally people praise and prefer WD's warm signature and mids. WD Diamonds have great reviews. Especially the 11.2s.
You need to determine the type of music that these people "normally" listen to and then gauge whether they are aligned with yours before proceeding with the said recommendations.

Last edited:
The Mission QX-2 is back in stock. Thing is though, will a Marantz PM5005 be able to drive the QX-2? I know the Marantz is a good match with the LX-2 but I'm unsure about the QX-2.

Nominal Impedance of LX-2: 6 Ohms
Minimum Impedance of LX-2: 4.4 Ohms

Nominal Impedance of QX-2: 4 Ohms (Compatible 8 Ohms)
Minimum Impedance of QX-2: 3.6 Ohms

@MaSh and @DB1989 would appreciate your inputs regarding this please.

Last edited:
The Mission QX-2 is back in stock. Thing is though, will a Marantz PM5005 be able to drive the QX-2? I know the Marantz is a good match with the LX-2 but I'm unsure about the QX-2.

Nominal Impedance of LX-2: 6 Ohms
Minimum Impedance of LX-2: 4.4 Ohms

Nominal Impedance of QX-2: 4 Ohms (Compatible 8 Ohms)
Minimum Impedance of QX-2: 3.6 Ohms

@MaSh and @DB1989 would appreciate your inputs regarding this please.
I had LX4 and later LX5 for short time and both Pioneer and Denon receivers could drive them with ease.

Later got QX5 as both LX4 and LX5 developed problems. I didn't know QX series is 4ohm speakers. I always wondered why Pioneer could't drive them at all. QX5s sound almost like bluetooth speakers with the Pioneer. Denon fares better but Denon + LX4/5 was in a different league.

I don't have experience with Marantz.

Last edited:
I had LX4 and later LX5 for short time and both Pioneer and Denon receivers could drive them with ease.

Later got QX5 as both LX4 and LX5 developed problems. I didn't know QX series is 4ohm speakers. I always wondered why Pioneer could't drive them at all. QX5s sound almost like bluetooth speakers with the Pioneer. Denon fares better but Denon + LX4/5 was in a different league.

I don't have experience with Marantz.

Can you kindly tell me the model number of the Pioneer Amplifier that could not drive the QX5? I need to check it's specs.

I ran my Diamond 11.2 with the Marantz PM5005 for a week on loan from a friend. They paired up quite nicely.

Hello Members,

Is anyone here using the Mission LX-2 speakers? I wanted to know how they sound? I was planning to get these and pair them with a Marantz PM5005.

The other speakers I was looking at are the Wharfedale Diamond 11.2 or 12.1 but those are almost double the price of the LX2's. If anyone has these please share your thoughts and how these will sound with a Marantz amplifier.

Links for said speakers:

Genres I listen to: Rock, Pop, EDM, Synth Wave, Fusion, Country. I largely listen to my music on Low to Medium volume levels.
Source: Audio PC (JRiver MC) > Khadas Tone Board DAC > Marantz PM5005 > Speakers

Thank-you
go for wharfedale as they sound very natural. On long-run you will like them. They will keep you surprising.

I am going to pair Mission LX2 mk2 with SMSL AO200 AMP. Is it going to be a good combination?? Somebody please suggest. I will add DAC like topping DX5 or SMSL DO200 separately in future.

I am going to pair Mission LX2 mk2 with SMSL AO200 AMP. Is it going to be a good combination?? Somebody please suggest. I will add DAC like topping DX5 or SMSL DO200 separately in future.
The mission LX2 MK-II works well with class D amps as opposed to Class A/B as it has a slightly boosted mid range which works well with the characteristic thinner mid-range of budget Class D amps.

I had initially tried it out with my Marantz PM6006 and Cambridge Audio CXA81 and what immediately stood out was the lack of dynamics. Despite attenuating both bass (shelving frequencies below 80hz) and treble by +6db (shelving frequencies above 7.5Khz) on my RME ADI-2 DAC FS, i simply couldn't coax better dynamics from it.

While it sounded clean and refined for the most part with class A/B amplification, the mid range was too thick compared to the rest of the frequencies which meant though the overall sound had all the requisite hi-fi attributes i.e. good imaging, soundstage width as well as depth, good bass weight, relatively refined treble etc, the one thing which detracted massively was its subdued nature - as if were in a strait jacket and couldn't wait to break free.

By this point, I was quite concerned as the speaker was meant to be a gift along with an SMSL DA9.

And it turns out, i made a good decision with the pairing. With the SMSL DA9, the missing dynamics returned as the boosted mid range was suddenly in equilibrium with the rest of the frequencies. While the SMSL does not have the mid range body as the aforementioned Class A/B amps, the Mission compensates for it with the boost which leads me to believe that it was a conscious choice on the part of the designers who must have assumed it would be paired with such Amps.

Cutting to the chase, the Mission LX-2 Mk-ii will pair better with the SMSL and other class D amps.

p.s. - if you have budgeted extra for a DAC, that money is better spent towards a more accomplished speaker. The absence of Bass Depth and the slightly unrefined treble can be much improved by spending a little extra on a better speaker as the Mission QX2 which is on a whole 2-3 rungs of performance above the LX-2.

The QX2 will sound better over the inbuilt Bluetooth+DAC of the SMSL than the LX-2 connected through a dedicated DAC such as the Fopping DX5 or SMSL DO200

Last edited:
The mission LX2 MK-II works well with class D amps as opposed to Class A/B as it has a slightly boosted mid range which works well with the characteristic thinner mid-range of budget Class D amps.

I had initially tried it out with my Marantz PM6006 and Cambridge Audio CXA81 and what immediately stood out was the lack of dynamics. Despite attenuating both bass (shelving frequencies below 80hz) and treble by +6db (shelving frequencies above 7.5Khz) on my RME ADI-2 DAC FS, i simply couldn't coax better dynamics from it.

While it sounded clean and refined for the most part with class A/B amplification, the mid range was too thick compared to the rest of the frequencies which meant though the overall sound had all the requisite hi-fi attributes i.e. good imaging, soundstage width as well as depth, good bass weight, relatively refined treble etc, the one thing which detracted massively was its subdued nature - as if were in a strait jacket and couldn't wait to break free.

By this point, I was quite concerned as the speaker was meant to be a gift along with an SMSL DA9.

And it turns out, i made a good decision with the pairing. With the SMSL DA9, the missing dynamics returned as the boosted mid range was suddenly in equilibrium with the rest of the frequencies. While the SMSL does not have the mid range body as the aforementioned Class A/B amps, the Mission compensates for it with the boost which leads me to believe that it was a conscious choice on the part of the designers who must have assumed it would be paired with such Amps.

Cutting to the chase, the Mission LX-2 Mk-ii will pair better with the SMSL and other class D amps.

p.s. - if you have budgeted extra for a DAC, that money is better spent towards a more accomplished speaker. The absence of Bass Depth and the slightly unrefined treble can be much improved by spending a little extra on a better speaker as the Mission QX2 which is on a whole 2-3 rungs of performance above the LX-2.

The QX2 will sound better over the inbuilt Bluetooth+DAC of the SMSL than the LX-2 connected through a dedicated DAC such as the Fopping DX5 or SMSL DO200
Thnx for such elaborative reply. I did shortlist QX2 mk2 or mk1 but my only concern is that its impedance is only 4ohm which may put extra load to small budget amplifier like SMSL AO200. Further, I am also bit choosy with the fact that both QX2 mk2 or mk1 have peak spl of 95 db only. I also dont like wider width in bookshelf speakers. Qx2 mk2 is 220 mm which is too wide for me. Did you hear Qx2 mk1??? What is your opinion about peak SPL?? Any other speaker recommendation having good tight punchy bass is highly appreciated.

Thnx for such elaborative reply. I did shortlist QX2 mk2 or mk1 but my only concern is that its impedance is only 4ohm which may put extra load to small budget amplifier like SMSL AO200. Further, I am also bit choosy with the fact that both QX2 mk2 or mk1 have peak spl of 95 db only. I also dont like wider width in bookshelf speakers. Qx2 mk2 is 220 mm which is too wide for me.
I've heard the Mission QX-2 and it's a whole different league to the LX-2 mk-ii. forget about 4ohms and 95db SPL. Those specs mean nothing with respect to the real world performance of these speakers.

Most speakers advertised as 8 or 6 ohms are actually 4 ohm speakers as their minimum impedance drops below 4 ohms.

I have driven the LX-2 mk-ii and QX-2 with a variety of budget and mid-fi amps and none of them have had a problem in the slightest driving these speakers. The only difference was the way they sounded - the QX2 sounds a whole lot better. The LX-2 mk-ii isn't a speaker i'd recommend unless budget is a massive constraint.

And unless space is a constraint(it was for my bedroom), i'd avoid these budget class D amps as well.
Did you hear Qx2 mk1??? What is your opinion about peak SPL?? Any other speaker recommendation having good tight punchy bass is highly appreciated.
It's difficult to do convincingly better bass than the QX-2 below 1L insofar as a 6.5 inch bookshelf speaker is concerned from my experience. However, I've never heard the Monitor Audio Bookshelves which have 8 inch woofers.

With respect to peak SPL, the QX-2 can go much louder than the LX-2 mk-ii. The latter distorts when the music reaches party levels in a decently sized room.

Last edited:
And unless space is a constraint(it was for my bedroom), i'd avoid these budget class D amps as well.
These new budget class D amps are getting rave reviews all over the web. Some even say SMAL AO200 delivers sound quality like a class AB amp costing $1000 available s7-8 years back. In my opinion a good amplifier should have compact body and consumes less power. Its just a whole package which completes a product in every aspect. Though, audiophiles will completely disagree. This is like a writer describing a fact beautifully in 100 words rather than in 500 words, which will definitely have more detailed information. Its is just different people have different choice. Anyways, I absolutely respect your opinion and will definitely try to look into.

These new budget class D amps are getting rave reviews all over the web. Some even say SMAL AO200 delivers sound quality like a class AB amp costing $1000 available s7-8 years back.
I haven't heard Class A/B amps costing 1000$ and above from 7-8 years back. However, from my experience, my current/last generation similarly priced bulky Class A/B amps (Marantz PM6006, Marantz NR1509) sound better than some of my Class D amps which have received these rave reviews which include the SMSL DA-9, Crown XLS1502, SMSL DA8S etc.

I chose these amps primarily for their tiny footprint. While they do not possess the requisite musical prowess as opposed to my Class A/B amps, they have a decent sound that I can live with and it's definitely better than no sound at all. There was no way i was going to be able to accommodate the PM6006 (or be allowed) for the intended purpose.

Then again, music is a very subjective hobby and perhaps the reviewers preferred the sound of these class D amps.

Objectively though, these class D amps simply do not possess the midrange body, texture, transparency of my Cambridge Audio CXA81, nor the requisite grip in the bass where the finer nuances and texture are glossed over by the rave reviewed Class D offerings.

Then again, it's not a fair comparison as my Cambridge Audio CXA81 is a 1000$ amp. ;)

Last edited:
Nice explanation. Actually, I am new to HIFI world and don't have much experience. Can smsl DA-9 drive Mission QX2 easily?? Could you please tell that amp like SMSL AO200 or DA-9 can drive speakers having impedance 6 ohm?? What does it mean for a speaker having impedance 4 ohm compatible with 8 ohm and nominal impedance 8 ohm compatible?? Thnx in anticipation.

Hello,
I am currently using Mission LX2 mk2 paired it to Marantz PM6007 for my bedroom setup.
The sound signature is quite warm and these speakers pack a good punch provided the room size is not very large. For a room size of approx 10x12 feet a sub woofer wouldn’t be required as they have good deep bass.
I listen to all song genre from classics to rock to Edm’s stressing both on vocals and bass and I cannot point a flaw in this setup(at this price point)
My music source is via Apple Music playing lossless files AirPlay through the tv. To get the most of these speakers one have to feed them files from good source playing lossless files of about 16 bit rate
I would suggest you to invest in a streamer/transport like allo boss or allo digione based on raspberry pi as these would definitely enhance the actual potential of these speakers.
If your music preference is into vocals and instrumentals only then maybe these are not the speakers for you other than that they are a really good buy.
Hope this helps.
Cheers.

Nice explanation. Actually, I am new to HIFI world and don't have much experience. Can smsl DA-9 drive Mission QX2 easily?? Could you please tell that amp like SMSL AO200 or DA-9 can drive speakers having impedance 6 ohm?? What does it mean for a speaker having impedance 4 ohm compatible with 8 ohm and nominal impedance 8 ohm compatible?? Thnx in anticipation.
According to the science, speakers with lesser impedances are harder to drive. That seems to have been a concern with amps of yesteryear.

While I've been in this hobby for as long as i can remember, commencing with religiously reading every single review on What hi fi and AV max starting in 2007 when i'd just graduated high school, my first set of hi fi separates came more than a decade later in 2018 which consisted of the Marantz PM6006 and the Boston Acoustics A26.

I preface what I'm going to say next with the above because I suppose components must have improved much in recent times due to the fact that since 2018, I've collected a few speakers and amps which include the ones I've spoken of including the Q Acoustics M20HD, the Mission QX-2, the Mission LX2 Mk-ii and the aforementioned amps. A bunch of my speakers including the Mission LX2 Mk-ii dip down below 4ohms and none of my amplifiers have had a problem driving them so far.

In fact, the SMSL DA-9, SMSL DA8S and Crown XLS1502 have a 2ohm rating as well which should ideally suggest that they should be able to handle said loads.

Surprisingly, the Marantz NR1509 which does not even have a 4ohm rating drives the Mission QX-2 with ease.

Surprisingly, the Marantz NR1509 which does not even have a 4ohm rating drives the Mission QX-2 with ease.

The 4Ω ratings are rarely published by Marantz. However, if you don't go overboard with the V knob, you can safely run speakers with such impedance.

If needed, a direct query with Marantz will yield this information.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2022-04-12 at 19.14.18.png
    Screenshot 2022-04-12 at 19.14.18.png
    89.1 KB · Views: 15
Hello Members,

Links for said speakers:

Thank-you
The Wharfs surely would do a good job with the genre of music that you listen to. I have a Diamond 225 pair and am extremely happy with the sound they emit. Very punchy and hard hitting while being extremely clear.

Running Diamond 225s with smsl AO 200 and stands.

I’ve also driven them with a marantz 6010 class AB amp for over 6 months.

The class D amp eq’d to bass modes performed better than the class AB. On direct eq playback they to lack some punch in the lower treble and bass.

Purchase the Audiolab 6000A Integrated Amplifier at a special offer price.
Back