Mobile DAC/AMP: Creative E5 vs Oppo HA-2 vs Chord Mojo

manupriyam

Friends,

I am trying to wet my feet into audiophile listening and looking to buy few items from US. So far I have Momentum-On-ear wireless with APTX and my tab too supports APTX. Although I am happy with my setup, can't carry tab during commute and not allowed in office as well. Hence I am looking to have a mobile setup. Options that I could figure out myself are as following:

Option A - But LG V20 or G6 and Beyerdynamic 770or 880 pr 990 250ohms, and I have read good reviews on this

Option B - Since mobile phones need to be replaced every 2 years or so, been thinking of buying a DAC/AMP which can last for years and can also be used for desktop listening as well.

Also, I plan to listen through hi-def streaming services only and primarily listen to English and Hindi rock.

Kindly suggest me DAC/AMP for option B. I am willing to spend upto 25k for this. another 15k for headphones if need be.

Cheers

Option A - But LG V20 or G6 and Beyerdynamic 770or 880 pr 990 250ohms, and I have read good reviews on this

Option B - Since mobile phones need to be replaced every 2 years or so, been thinking of buying a DAC/AMP which can last for years and can also be used for desktop listening as well.

If wireless on-ear is what you are looking for, then disregard the below..

Most smartphones today in the midrange to flagship come with USB type-C port, which will become a standard even in budget phones in near future..It also presents a digital out signal thru USB..

If you were to look for USB type-C earphones, then it negates the need of external amp+ DAC..Earphone by itself contains Amp + DAC and would draw power from smartphone..This is wired set-up..

https://www.gearbest.com/earbud-headphones/pp_636900.html

If wireless on-ear is what you are looking for, then disregard the below..

Most smartphones today in the midrange to flagship come with USB type-C port, which will become a standard even in budget phones in near future..It also presents a digital out signal thru USB..

If you were to look for USB type-C earphones, then it negates the need of external amp+ DAC..Earphone by itself contains Amp + DAC and would draw power from smartphone..This is wired set-up..

https://www.gearbest.com/earbud-headphones/pp_636900.html

Rather, I am looking for a setup using smart phone. Not really a wireless. USB type-C headphone.....I need to check. I haven't seen them being mentioned anywhere in audiophile sections

Rather, I am looking for a setup using smart phone. Not really a wireless. USB type-C headphone.....I need to check. I haven't seen them being mentioned anywhere in audiophile sections

At the moment there are only handful of USB type-C earphones as it is relatively new.. This will be a big segment for hi-fi soon..

LeEco was the first to introduce type-c in-earphones for mobiles..I have one (1,000rs from Flipkart) with my Zuk Z2 + and impressed with sound quality for the money..

If your phone has usb type-c and if you wish to experiment in an inexpensive way, LeEco can be your try - https://www.flipkart.com/leeco-lepdh401in-wired-headphone/p/itmejgvtuddxhngr?pid=ACCEJGVTMJSQ9VDM&srno=s_1_1&otracker=search&lid=LSTACCEJGVTMJSQ9VDMCB0TDB&fm=SEARCH&iid=c4a762f4-bbbc-4aa7-bcdb-03bb849cf647.ACCEJGVTMJSQ9VDM.SEARCH&qH=731ae330514cbf3f

Finally bought HiFIMan HE400i and Creative E5 primarily because of feature rich functionality E5 has including Bluetooth. Dropped the idea of Beyerdynamics as got lured by Planar magnetic low price. I will have an Audioengine for desktop to sell in Bangalore. Will create a separate post.

Thanks everyone. Will post my experience soon along with images once I get the delivery. The best part is not getting any buyer remorse till now. Looking forward to get these in my hands now.

I auditioned all 3 DACs you have mentioned. The Chord was better than the other two on SQ, but very expensive. Also, it still needs the dongle for iPhone. I bought the E5 based on performance/price ratio, direct iPhone connection, as well as BT and other features.

I have Oppo-HA-2SE and it pairs very well with iPhone and my Mac. I like a bit of brighter sound signature and the ESS saber dac chip is appriciated by people who love this kind of sound.

If you wish to go with a phone, you won't go wrong with LG G6, I have used it for a month and I can attest that it has brilliant audio quality, the amp is quite good if you are using headphones with greater than 50 Ohm impedance, the quad DAC model does do wonders.

I have mine on sale btw, let me know if interested, as good as new.
But that apart loved the audio on the phone, I tried with three different IEMs, great experience with all of them.

Join WhatsApp group to get HiFiMART.com Offers & Deals delivered to your smartphone!
Back