Modifications to my Marantz CD5400 CD Player

Hari Iyer

I had this modification in mind since past one year and finally completed them with the help of my brother.

I replaced the original op-amp after the DAC which is a dual op-amp using a JRC chip NJM2068MD used as a low pass filter.

JRC Op-AMP NJM2068MD pdf, NJM2068MD description, NJM2068MD datasheets, NJM2068MD view ::: ALLDATASHEET :::

This was replaced by a Texas Instrument dual op-amp chip LM4562.

Texas instruments Op-Amp http://www.ti.com/lit/ds/symlink/lm4562.pdf

Also replaced all the 10 microfarad electrolytic capacitors in series with the signal path with a non-polar type 10 microfarad capacitors to reduce phase issues.

Result : Signification reduction in the noise floor. GAPs inbetween two songs you might wonder if the CD player is switched off. The amount of detail has a significant improvement. Also the midrange has become more open. The low frequency has tightness and the highs are sweet and mellow.

More over all this was done for less than Rs.800/-.

I have done some reading about a mid-end and high-end CD players and the only major difference is in the op-amp where the cost savings are made. Most of the DAC chips are almost similar in performance with no major change in the specs. I would advise FMs before junking your CD player try this minimal change before taking that jump to buy a new DAC.

The new DAC will only be as good as the op-amp used in the low pass filter stage. Period.

Caution: Most op-amps are SMD devices which require special soldering skills. This is where my elder brother helped me with superb experience in that area.

Last edited:
hi, good to hear thing s like these diy's. have a marantz cd 5001 and an oppo bdp 103. somehow i feel marantz is much more musical than oppo when listenening to music. i've been wondering..whether there is a way to connect a usb card/reader to the cd player and the music played through the cd player??? If there is a way, then many ppl with expensive cd players can utilise this feature and need not part with it. thanks in advance....

Yes, come over and check out for yourselves and be convinced. I can bet, it can beat a 50K DAC for the SQ now and all this for less than 1K. Its a very easy mod and can be done by anyone who knows SMD soldering.

Dear Hari,

It is heartening to hear from you about your DIY experience.
It's fantastic to say the least. My recommendation is to start your own website on this stuff.
Perhaps you could start out a lucrative partnership with Hifi Mart modding stuff :)!!!

Get the Wharfedale EVO 4.2 3-Way Standmount Speakers at a Special Offer Price.
Back