Movie sounds : highs and lows

bazee

I am using Denon 2309 AVR for movies.

I have found that in Hollywood movies when there is a action sequence... there is a explosion of sound. The sound vols go up high.......u have to run for the remote and turn it down. And when it is over and dialogues start, you again have to turn up the vol.
In Hindi movies, when the songs start.... again the explosion(u know).

Is there any way we can "normalise" the ups and downs of sound ....

regards

Try increasing the centre speaker output level to hear dialogues clearly. What centre speaker are you using?

Get an amp with a poor dynamic range .. just kidding :)

Regards

That reminds me.......
the AVR has Audyssey Dynamic Volume , Audyssey Dynamic EQ and Multi-EQ....... lot of jargons.
Never tried them.

Quote :
To eliminate irritating swings in volume between TV shows and commercials, the Denon AVR-2309 is one of the first to offer Audyssey Dynamic Volume automatic volume-levelling system, as well as Audyssey Dynamic EQ to ensure rich bass and smooth tonal balance, even at low volume levels.

Try increasing the centre speaker output level to hear dialogues clearly. What centre speaker are you using?

Cent spk has already been manually increased to +4 level in audyssey.
It is a WF CS.

most of the mid level avrs have something called a night mode (onkyo)/dynamic normalizer (denon). Try them - it basically kills cuts off sound levels at a certain range and make movie watching manageable for those without a proper HT room setup, jealous neighbors or lil kids sleeping next door.

I too facing the same problem.

Actually in this forum every body is telling that Onkyo is very good for Movie and if it comes to music its zero.

But from my experience, I feel S Q in Onkyo is very good. But while watching movie I am not at all comfortable. Even after I increase the center speaker to + 5 dB, I am not able to get good voice clarity.

Now I have the doubt about cabling. I am using Toslink Optical cable costing Rs.200/-. Whether I have to purchase a high quality cable to get good sound for movies ?

I too facing the same problem.

Actually in this forum every body is telling that Onkyo is very good for Movie and if it comes to music its zero.

But from my experience, I feel S Q in Onkyo is very good. But while watching movie I am not at all comfortable. Even after I increase the center speaker to + 5 dB, I am not able to get good voice clarity.

Now I have the doubt about cabling. I am using Toslink Optical cable costing Rs.200/-. Whether I have to purchase a high quality cable to get good sound for movies ?

dude check your source - is it dolby 5.1 encoded?? or standard DVD rips downloaded from the net.

Anyway first of all do away with the HTiB speaker wires - anything like DAC 16AWG for Rs 40-45/m will do. Since the speakers that come with onkyo 5105 are small satellites - would be better to set them as small inthe setup menu (audessey tends to set all the speakers as big with cross overs getting mishmashed. Put all speakers as small 80 HZ , LPE of LPF as 80 HZ as per THX specifications - use a good source with a good transport you should be good to go.

Remember rips mostly are 2 channel and often there is a loss of center speaker effect in the setup. Might also help to put off the night mode and increase the center speaker range by a lil bit.;)

have you run the Audessey setup ? After running the setup set the Audyssey Dynamic Volume ON . This should solve the problem .

Audessey setup however requires pin drop silence else you have to rerun the whole setup again :( .

A beautiful, well-constructed speaker with class-leading soundstage, imaging and bass that is fast, deep, and precise.
Back