MQA DAC USB question

Sandesh

Currently I have a Yamaha Wxc- 50 that I am using as a streamer that has an internal dac. This dac is unable to decode MQA and I require an MQA dac to unfold and decode Tidal MQA files and from what I understand this is only possible by USB input. My question is whether the "storage usb" port of the Yamaha Wxc-50 where I attach a USB drive with music files will be able to accept this MQA file (signal?) when attached to a MQA DAC? Or do I have to buy a new streamer that allows for such a USB input to play MQA files from Tidal?

The explanation will be too long if we get into the technical bits of unfolding the MQA data, but the short answer, without having access to your Yamaha streamer spec - indeed an MQA compatible DAC should play your files.

absolutely yes - the usb Port doesn’t segregate MQA/ non MQA coding .... I have used USB - AES and CoAx. No worries there ....

OP is worried whether USB port of Yamaha streamer will accept/recognize USB DAC and pass on audio through there.

This might not be possible if USB can accept only data. Some FM who has both wxc50 and an USB MQA DAC may check and revert.

Currently I have a Yamaha Wxc- 50 that I am using as a streamer that has an internal dac. This dac is unable to decode MQA and I require an MQA dac to unfold and decode Tidal MQA files and from what I understand this is only possible by USB input. My question is whether the "storage usb" port of the Yamaha Wxc-50 where I attach a USB drive with music files will be able to accept this MQA file (signal?) when attached to a MQA DAC? Or do I have to buy a new streamer that allows for such a USB input to play MQA files from Tidal?

Want to make sure you get the correct inputs.

1) WXC-50 won't do MQA unfolding but can play unfolded MQA files (mostly 24/48 quality) streamed via Tidal.

2) You cannot hook up an external DAC to the WXC-50 USB- A port which is only for flash storage devices. And No, you won't be able to do MQA unfolding over this.

3) Yes, MQA unfolding can only be done by external DACs connected over USB audio port to a streamer. MQA unfolding cannot happen over Coax or Optical output from a streamer.

4) In summary, I don't think there is any way to do MQA with WXC-50 natively or with an external DAC.

Want to make sure you get the correct inputs.

1) WXC-50 won't do MQA unfolding but can play unfolded MQA files (mostly 24/48 quality) streamed via Tidal.

2) You cannot hook up an external DAC to the WXC-50 USB- A port which is only for flash storage devices. And No, you won't be able to do MQA unfolding over this.

3) Yes, MQA unfolding can only be done by external DACs connected over USB audio port to a streamer. MQA unfolding cannot happen over Coax or Optical output from a streamer.

4) In summary, I don't think there is any way to do MQA with WXC-50 natively or with an external DAC.
Exactly what I was looking for

Mqa Dac like Dragonfly Cobalt works in conjuction with mqa renderer like Tidal, Audirvana, Roon. Simply plugging it to the USB port of your Streamer won't serve any purpose.

OP is worried whether USB port of Yamaha streamer will accept/recognize USB DAC and pass on audio through there.

This might not be possible if USB can accept only data. Some FM who has both wxc50 and an USB MQA DAC may check and revert.
if the OP was asking whether his Yamaha has the option to send the stream via an external DAC connected via its USB ( was that the question ? - sorry my bad!) I think not .... hope my earlier post didn’t cause any confusion Yogesh! Thanks

Better to subscribe qobuz.
Then you need not worry about MQA which is still a lossy format as per experts.
Qobuz has true high res audio upto 192/24.
Then there is a wider range of dacs suitable, especially the coveted r2r dacs these days.

Last edited:
Then there is a wider range of dacs suitable, especially the coveted r2r dacs these days.
Yamaha Musiccast doesn't support Qobuz.

A bit on the side....

MQA is in the eye of a storm, and many opinions being expressed that MQA actually sounds worse than non MQA!

MQA has also admitted that MQA is Not Lossless!

It is probably not the best thing since sliced bread !

Enjoy what you have, dont loose sleep over MQA :)

FWIW, I believe a well ripped CD or a HiRes File played via a local Hard Disc, sounds FAR better than Tidal and even Qobuz...

YMMV :)

I didn't know that - thanks this is good to know.

Quick questions though how does the AL6000N does it then? I remember the control to update USB was only to control the volume from the APP etc. Does the 6000A bypass the 6000N's DAC and MQA 2nd and 3rd level is happening in the 6000a (I know both the devices have the same DAC, just curious on how it works)?

Quick questions though how does the AL6000N does it then? I remember the control to update USB was only to control the volume from the APP etc. Does the 6000A bypass the 6000N's DAC and MQA 2nd and 3rd level is happening in the 6000a (I know both the devices have the same DAC, just curious on how it works)?
On my AL 6000N, Tidal streaming was limited to 44.1Kz only. I think AL 6000N doesn't support MQA.

Neither AL6000A nor AL6000N support MQA. The MQA-coded stream is passed to the DAC in these devices which plays the same without unfolding the MQA layers.

Buy from India's official online dealer!
Back