Multi-channel connectors for Oppo

I think I know the problem.

The Oppo does not use the down mix settings for the dedicated stereo output and they only work in the multi-channel output. The options would be to use a stereo set of connectors for CD and another set for DVD/BD. The volume can be manipulated by adding to the gain in the speaker configuration. Now need to check whether this actually solves the problem.

Redbook CD's.

Oppo support said there are gain differences in redbook cd's and dvd's. So now I have one connection from the player to the AVR for stereo and another for dvd/bd to the avr. The second one has the gain set in the player downmix so that the relative volumes when I switch from one to the other are similar.

However, I never had this issue when I was using my old Sony DVD player and connecting via digital coax to the avr. So it took some time to figure out. Also, I assumed initially just one connection from the stereo of the player to the avr will be good enough for all media.

I have a 5 year old TX-SR503 Onkyo 7.1 amplifier (and some not-so-great Onkyo 5.1 speaker system) which has no HDMI etc but optical, digitial coaxial etc. I intend to use it with the Oppo BDP-83.. I heard that only uncompressed PCM 2.1 is suported but I want to use the PCM tracks on all channels.. is analog to analog from Oppo only way ?

If AVR has 5.1 analoge in,then connect Oppo 5.1 analoge out & you can get lossless audio played on it.Connect video directly to LCD.
Else use DD/Dts audio option usually present on Bluray disc & out put via coax to AVR.
again video will pass from HDMI to TV directly.

All settings to be made in oppo.

A beautiful, well-constructed speaker with class-leading soundstage, imaging and bass that is fast, deep, and precise.
Back