Multi-room solution

Bluu

I will be moving into my new apartment (the first I've ever bought, yay!) in a couple of months. I'm facing a dilemma over how to distribute my existing setup. I heard a very nice stereo setup at a friend's (reignofchaos) place - Usher Be-718s, Lyrita, McCormack and a Technics TT. Now, I also want a dedicated music stereo setup. Which means I need to figure out a way to utilize my existing setup which consists of two pairs of Mission M34i floorstanders, a Mission centre and a Boston Acoustics subwoofer all tied to a Denon 1906.

I will need a setup for my bedroom which will house the TV. I will need another setup for the living room so that I can play music in case there are people over. Lastly, I need the new stereo setup (that's for later, though). Now, my plan was to put a 3.1 setup in the bedroom with the TV and put the two remaining floorstanders in the living room with a simple (read cheap) amplifier which will allow me to connect my iPod.

I will also need a 5.1 setup for my PS3 which will be in a different room (my man cave or man den). This is the same room which will have the stereo setup. Can I look at a good AVR to do duty for both the stereo speakers as well as the 5.1 PS3 setup or is it best to look at separate electronics?

Money is always an issue (else I won't be posting, will I!) so please give your suggestions accordingly. I know the purists will argue that a separate setup is the best (and I agree) but it might not be financially feasible. Another thought is to put the M34i floorstands in the man cave till there are enough funds for a full-blown stereo rig.

Too many options and I cannot decide. Please let your suggestions pour in!

(Posting this in amplifiers section since I'm looking for suggestions for an amp for the living room and also for the 5.1 PS3 setup)

Last edited:
@Bluu,

You have a 5.1 setup.

You need a 3.1 setup for your bedroom, a 5.1 setup for your man den and possibly a stereo setup for your living room. Stereo setup for man den is future consideration.

A commercially attractive option would be to setup up 3.1 in bedroom with what you have. Use the 2 speakers for the living room and buy a suitable stereo amp for the same. And get a HTiB for your man den.

All of the above is suggested with no clue about your personal preferneces, room size or budget. Hope this will get you started.

Thanks nshankar!

The man den in 12x12 while the living room is 12x20 I think. My budget for the HTiB in the man den is as less as possible. I just want somewhat decent sound from my PS3 games. My budget for the stereo amp in the living room is possibly not more than 15-20K since it will be sparingly used and that too in a potentially noisy atmosphere as background music during a get-together etc.

Can you make suggestions about which HTiB I should look at? My guess is that Onkyo makes the best budget HTiBs. Also, will a Norge amp work well with a pair of Missions in the living room? These speakers will probably only ever play popular/easy listening music.

Wharfedale Linton Heritage Speakers in Red Mahogany finish at a Special Offer Price. BUY now before the price increase.
Back