Multichannel & Optical Connections

reju

Hi. I had connected my Pio 610 to Onkyo HT-R518 (receiver with HTiB 5105) using 5.1 multichannel analogue cables in "MultiCH" input, as well as with optical cable in "DVD" input of receiver.

Of course, I knew that DVD-A and SACD high resolution needs 5.1 analogue connection. But I was under the impression that all non high resolution audio (i.e. except DVD-A & SACD), will be played via optical cable and "DVD" selection.

Today (after 3 months) I have realized that optical cable is NOT at all required for my setup. All contents are played through the analogue 5.1 multi-channel cables itself. I simply have to select "MultiCH" for DVD-A/SACD and "DVD" for audio CDs & DVD Video etc.

So with the multichannel connection un-touched, and playing a CD on my Pio610, I tried connecting the optical cable to "CD" input of the receiver and changed between the "DVD" and "CD" inputs. The "DVD" input was sounding little better. So this should mean that the Pio DAC is little better than Onkyo, right?

All these days when I had connected optical cable to "DVD" it was overriding the other 5.1 analogue connection. So I was listening to slightly lower SQ for DVD/CD/MP3 audio.

Are my findings correct? Does anyone else share similar experience or knowledge?

If you feel I have been a fool, I would say well, these are the signs of aging:D

Hi. I had connected my Pio 610 to Onkyo HT-R518 (receiver with HTiB 5105) using 5.1 multichannel analogue cables in "MultiCH" input, as well as with optical cable in "DVD" input of receiver.

Of course, I knew that DVD-A and SACD high resolution needs 5.1 analogue connection. But I was under the impression that all non high resolution audio (i.e. except DVD-A & SACD), will be played via optical cable and "DVD" selection.

Today (after 3 months) I have realized that optical cable is NOT at all required for my setup. All contents are played through the analogue 5.1 multi-channel cables itself. I simply have to select "MultiCH" for DVD-A/SACD and "DVD" for audio CDs & DVD Video etc.

So with the multichannel connection un-touched, and playing a CD on my Pio610, I tried connecting the optical cable to "CD" input of the receiver and changed between the "DVD" and "CD" inputs. The "DVD" input was sounding little better. So this should mean that the Pio DAC is little better than Onkyo, right?

All these days when I had connected optical cable to "DVD" it was overriding the other 5.1 analogue connection. So I was listening to slightly lower SQ for DVD/CD/MP3 audio.

Are my findings correct? Does anyone else share similar experience or knowledge?

If you feel I have been a fool, I would say well, these are the signs of aging:D

Hello,
similar topic was discussed in detail in http://www.hifivision.com/audio-video-cables/4290-audio-connection-between-dvd-player-avr.html

Thanks,
Mahiruha.

Thanks for the links Mahiruha, it was informative.

So I guess you have connected audio through HDMI and saved cost on 4 pairs of RCA cable? But have you auditioned quality with your DVDp as the decoder? Of course you will RCA cables for them:)

When you have 2 sections of audio in your AVR for same input say "DVD":
1. DVD > AVR - Analogue
2. DVD > AVR - HDMI
What is your default audio output?

I guess it's the audio from HDMI. I am guessing this because I have discovered that for me the default happens to be the optical cable (instead of your HDMI, as my receiver does not process audio in HDMI)

Thanks for the links Mahiruha, it was informative.

So I guess you have connected audio through HDMI and saved cost on 4 pairs of RCA cable? But have you auditioned quality with your DVDp as the decoder? Of course you will RCA cables for them:)

When you have 2 sections of audio in your AVR for same input say "DVD":
1. DVD > AVR - Analogue
2. DVD > AVR - HDMI
What is your default audio output?

I guess it's the audio from HDMI. I am guessing this because I have discovered that for me the default happens to be the optical cable (instead of your HDMI, as my receiver does not process audio in HDMI)

Hello,
you are right. According to the simple math a good quality gold plated HDMI cable is always a cheaper solution compared to 8 gold plated RCA cables. So I just use one HDMI cable. I would love to check the decoding capacity of my DVD player but it would be too expensive for me. My DVD player is cambridge audio azur 540D v2 and it has a dedicated stereo output. So my connections are good quality RCA for CD stereo and hdmi for both video and audio from DVD source.

To answer your second question I must say it is a guess work I can't find a logic regarding the rational behavior of the receiver.I guess it is better for us to send what we want to send and see what is produced. To do that I can see your pioneer 610 DV audio menu has an option Digital out on or off. To maintain exclusivity just make the proper choice according to ur desire and see the result.

Thanks,
Mahiruha.

Hello,
you are right. According to the simple math a good quality gold plated HDMI cable is always a cheaper solution compared to 8 gold plated RCA cables. So I just use one HDMI cable. I would love to check the decoding capacity of my DVD player but it would be too expensive for me. My DVD player is cambridge audio azur 540D v2 and it has a dedicated stereo output. So my connections are good quality RCA for CD stereo and hdmi for both video and audio from DVD source.

To answer your second question I must say it is a guess work I can't find a logic regarding the rational behavior of the receiver.I guess it is better for us to send what we want to send and see what is produced. To do that I can see your pioneer 610 DV audio menu has an option Digital out on or off. To maintain exclusivity just make the proper choice according to ur desire and see the result.

Thanks,
Mahiruha.

Maybe I was not able to explain very well. In my system the optical is given preference over analogue connection when you connect it to input "DVD"

You can still check the SQ of your DVD decoder. I guess you have connected the stereo RCA cable to "CD" input. And HDMI audio is under "DVD" input? Then just select "stereo music" in this "DVD" input (audio processed by AVR) and compare with "CD" input (audio processed by DVDp).

I was not absent minded after all, when I used both methods (multiCh + optical) for connecting my DVDp.
In the 610 user manual page 13 it mentions the following:

Connecting the digital output

This player has both optical and coaxial-type digital audio outputs for connection to an AV receiver. Connect whichever is convenient.
Depending on the capabilities of your AV receiver, you might have to set up this player to output only digital audio in a compatible
format. See Digital Audio Out settings on page 39 and refer to the operating instructions that came with your AV receiver.
Note that SACD audio is not output through these jacks, so this connection should be in addition to, rather than instead of, a 5.1 channel analog connection.

It does not mention what happens if the 5.1 multichannel connection is also used and digital connection is given to "DVD" input.
I have learned that it in this case, the digital connection is give preference and sound is output accordingly.

Reju, thanks for posting your experience with the analogue outs of Pio 610. I was considering this player as a replacement to my current player, but after going through many discussions in the forum felt that its not going to be a big improvement over my current player.

my exp with the analogue outs of my denon 1400 was totally different. the digital connection gave me a cleaner and bass tight sound than the analogue outs. the biggest problem I had with the analogue connection was noise. but since this player is more than 5 yrs old, I hoped the newer generation low cost universals should do a better job and yours is the first post which came out as a positive sign.

but now my mind is set on slightly higher cost players which are now on ex-demo clearance sale. hope to save the money soon and bring home the player.

Reju, thanks for posting your experience with the analogue outs of Pio 610. I was considering this player as a replacement to my current player, but after going through many discussions in the forum felt that its not going to be a big improvement over my current player.

my exp with the analogue outs of my denon 1400 was totally different. the digital connection gave me a cleaner and bass tight sound than the analogue outs. the biggest problem I had with the analogue connection was noise. but since this player is more than 5 yrs old, I hoped the newer generation low cost universals should do a better job and yours is the first post which came out as a positive sign.

but now my mind is set on slightly higher cost players which are now on ex-demo clearance sale. hope to save the money soon and bring home the player.

Venkatcr highly recommends the Oppo for music output. It's not very expensive. Say around INR 9-10k I guess? In fact he says that good deals are available in Dubai during this period of recession.

You are in the best position to get one;)

Venkatcr highly recommends the Oppo for music output. It's not very expensive. Say around INR 9-10k I guess? In fact he says that good deals are available in Dubai during this period of recession.

You are in the best position to get one;)

Unfortunately I can't demo an Oppo in Dubai. only option is to buy from Oppo direct and check for myself, which should cost me around 12K INR. from what I gather from various forums, I cannot confirm if Oppo will match my expectation. Video is not a very important thing for me as I'm still using a CRT display.

I've to choose between buying a used Parasound Halo D3 or Linn unidisk SC (slightly above my budget) from Audiogon or get one of the local ex-Demo pieces currently on offer - Arcam DV137 / NAD M55.

Oh yeah, these look like a class apart. But strangely Parasound model didn't do 1080p. No mention in Unidisk and also no HD audio thru HDMI?

Last edited:
Oh yeah, these look like a class apart. But strangely Parasound model didn't do 1080p. No mention in Unidisk and also no HD audio thru HDMI?

like I said, not too worried about its video capabilities at this point. my aim is to have a good quality universal player for SACD / DVD-A and with good redbook performance. I may have to sell the denon and nad cd player to cover up some of the cost for these new players.

I believe these products are designed with the expectation that we will be using their high quality analogue outs for music reproduction (which is what I need too). so you may not find DSD through HDMI option.

my plan for upgrade is, universal player and a power amp this year. next year (hopefully) will be upgrading the display and add a blu ray player (oppo bd 83 tops the list). the year next will be 2 additional channels and a pre/pro with Hi rez audio capabilities.....hey, I can dream can't I.

Get the Award Winning Diamond 12.3 Floorstanding Speakers on Special Offer
Back